confronting dad

Old 10-28-2005, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

confronting dad

my brother, my sister and I are thinking about confronting our dad about his drinking problem (some type of intervention) - this is basically their idea but I said I would be there for support...

a little bit of history: i confronted my brother (so did other friends and family separately but at about the time) over a year ago about his drinking - he has since quit drinking and been sober for approx. 10 mnths.

my brother (who's a great guy and also much more confrontational than me) believes we have to talk to our dad or we'll regret it - i believe he's probably right but am not very optimistic that it will help - my dad is about 65 yrs-old, not in the greatest health and has been a drinker in some form or another ever since i can remember - when i was growing up he was what i guess you'd call a high functioning alcoholic (always worked hard, not overly abusive, etc. just not really "there" alot of the time...)

i told my brother i'd ask if anyone has a recommendation on how to -or- how not to handle the situation prior to talking to our dad - so any comments / advise would be much appreciated.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb Well....

I have not done interventions.

I have used the AA's Big Book's Chapter 7 as a guide when dealing with an active drunk.

Hope it works out....Blessings
Old 10-28-2005, 06:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi brothert,

Have you watched the show Intervention ?

If you go to A & E Television's website and search for Intervention, some info will come up on it.

It's on Sunday nights. It's all about addictions from drinking to gambling to overeating........etc. and how the addict's family decides to do an intervention with the help of an intervention counselor.

Really powerful stuff. I learn alot each time I watch the show. But, it's best to have it done with a professional, an outside party to keep the focus on the intervention it's self. If it's done just with family members (I've seen this before)......things can and will get out of control. The addict will become defensive and deny and get angry and probably walk out with nothing solved.

I'm sure if you watch the show and look in your phone book for counselors that do this kind of work, you'll be able to find what you need.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

((hugs))
Old 10-29-2005, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Brothert...welcome to SR.

It might be wise to contact a rehab center and talk to them about what you're thinking of doing. Having someone with the knowledge might help matters along.

believes we have to talk to our dad or we'll regret it
Please remember there is only so much you can do in regard to the alcoholic. Three C's...you didn't cause it, you can't cure it and you can't control it. No regrets. It's his disease. Even if you do an intervention, there is no guarantee he'll stop. He's got to want to do it on his own for himself and no one else.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks for the info. we will try to do a little more homework as we move forward...