Encouragement

Old 10-23-2005, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Encouragement

I was listening to an evening meditation audiotape tonight.
One of the things the author said really gave me a start.
She said "Did you feel angry today? Did you encourage that feeling?"

And then I realized that yes indeed, we encourage these negative feelings.
They spark within us and instead of dealing with them and moving onto a more positive place, we pour fuel on the fire.
So it was a good "aha" moment for me to realize that negative feelings are inevitable, but it's how much encouragement you give them that makes the difference as to whether they are here to pass or here to stick around for a while.
Off to encourage my positive stuff.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post Gabe. I listen to Dr. Wayne Dwyer, and he speaks of the same encouragement, only in the form of viewing ourselves as say an angry person. Like you I was first surprised, then disagreed, then identified. Sometimes I'm angry and God help the person that tries to change me
Old 10-23-2005, 09:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That was good stuff!! Thanks Gabe!
Old 10-24-2005, 02:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You could not possibly be talking to me Gabe...lol Gosh, how true this is. I would want to defend myself on this one at first also, thinking hell no, but I have seen times where I have done exactly that. Sometimes I am not even aware until I really slow down, step back and think about it.

Encouraging the positive. I like that.
Good, good thoughts here. thanks
Hopefloats
Old 10-24-2005, 02:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I for one had to really encourage my anger as it was buried underneath years of people pleasing and being nice... I still have a little trouble recognizing it at times. Many people are swinging to extremes with their anger either in total denial or out of control. I believe being honest requires that we acknowledge anger and deal with it in an appropriate manner....
Old 10-24-2005, 02:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good point Splen.
I think buried feelings need encouragement in order to bring them to the surface and deal with them.
Once we've dealt with them in an appropriate manner, we need to send them on their way.
I think the author was referencing feelings that are already on the surface level that we perpetuate by encouraging them, or "living them".
All of our emotions are an effective tool and carry their lessons with them.
I think it's how much power we give them that determines the quality of our lives.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Here is a quote from a book called:

"Boundries, Where You End and I Begin"
by: Anne Katherine,M.A.

"There is an incredible difference between anger surrounding a real issue and anger generated around scapegoating issues. When the issue is genuine and from the heart, the anger doesn't burn,it isn't scary.
When anger is being diverted from some other person or issue,it scalds. It creates new problems in relationships that would not have been there if the true feelings and problems had been communicated"

I think that scalding anger needs to be looked at cause it does keep us running and it is scary to be so lost from the self that you can't allow yourself to feel and deal. It took me a long time to get real with my anger. I do know people who seem consumed by their anger and constantly relate to others thru their anger and I suppose that is very scary place for them to be....