Acceptance

Old 10-17-2005, 02:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Acceptance

I promise you I am not have a "Whoa is me" moment. But it would sure be nice if I could just hear from people around me that I care about "Jessie you are doing a great job holding everything together".

What's up with that? I'm talking about anything....from my recovery, to budgeting (ok...I'm sorta struggling on that one), to my job, to raising my kids. Is it that people are telling me but I don't hear them? Why do I even care? Why do I feel like I need to get acceptance from others to feel good about what I'm doing?

Just curious what you all think about acceptance and way's you've found it in yourself.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you think you're doing a great job?

For me, I had to find acceptance within myself. Funnily enough, once I did that I didn't need much validation from anyone else.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

You know, for me, the people I most want to hear that from are the people that are sick.

I know I am doing the best that I can do at the moment, just for today. The pople that I dont hear it from are the people that are sick.

I struggle with that validation from others too, but am really trying to every day do the best I can do for that day only and try to give myself that pat on the back I need. For me, that same need to be validated by others is what contributed to my codependent nature and realtionships with addicts!
Thats just me though
Old 10-17-2005, 04:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
doing the inside job

I chased a butterfly onto the woods.
The further I chased the butter fly the darker it got.
There in the center of the dark forest a pacth of
mushroom growning on BS. I was lost, along, hungery.
So I ate the mushroom. I became sick and hallucinated.
I stumble on pioson ivory while I was hallucinating.

Sick with rashed all over me.
I stumble and crawl out of the dark forest.
There at the edge of the forest was a running stream and a pond.
The crawl to the pond, there I saw a reflection of myself.
I drank from the stream to flushed the pionson out of me.
I got into the pond to wash the pioson ivory off of me.

I'm still not able not to walk as I did before entering the forest.
It would take time for me to heal.

All I know is I'm not chasing anything into a forest or any other forest
again.
True if it didn't kill me, it would make me a better person.
But ya know....there's millions other journeys I could have taken
to improve myself.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It matter's how you feel inside.

I had this need to be recognized for things I did. I dont know if this is because that is how I got my attention when I was at home as a child of seven or not.

Look at me, I am cooking, cleaning, helping with homework, taking kids to there sport stuff, I just go, go , go. But I am turning it around, I use to think I had to do this, nope, I dont........ I dont feel like I have to do it anymore, I have taken alot of pressure off of myself, and if certain things dont get done, I dont care, I know at the end of my day, I have done the best that I can do. Even if that best was just sitting and doing nothing for a whole weekend.

People's opinions of me are meaning less and less to me, because I have become happy inside myself for things that I accomplish, and I also without sounding to forward am pretty dam good at it.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

When I feel I need the approval and acceptance of anything, anyone outside of myself, the problem, I know today, lies within me.

Low self esteem, thinking Im a bad parent, friend, worker.....if someone else props me up with love and acknowledgment, then I get my high for the day.

I have a hole within my soul that I wish other people would fill,,,place thier love, approval in and that fills me.

Sick, eh?

God is my hole-filler these days..he loves me just as I am..he is the only source I need to remind myself that I am good, I am kind, I am enough.....

Get a relationship with god, and youve got a best friend, hole-filler for life.