Notices

More of my athletic endeavors if interested...

Old 10-03-2005, 11:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

More of my athletic endeavors if interested...

I totally apologize if anyone is upset with my posting these race reports here. It's just that athletics (triathlon in particular) is such a HUGE part of my recovery, I'm hoping it will inspire...

With that said, here is my latest insanity:

Carlos O’Brien’s Sprint Triathlon Race Report
October 2, 2005
Lake Pleasant
Peoria, AZ
850 meter Swim
12.5 mile Bike
2.5 mile Run

This was a tough one, folks. Had just raced the week before, and this course is hilly! One of my swimming buddies asked a couple of days ago, “so, you’re doing Lake UN-Pleasant Sunday?”

4:30 AM – mixed up my pre-race meal: 1 Packet Protein Vanilla MRP, 2 small cans pineapple juice, 1 banana, a little H2O. Took my multivitamin, antioxidant, Endurox capsules. Sipped water as well. Even had a cup of coffee on the way up.

5:45 AM – arrived at race site. Set up my transition area, got body marked and picked up timing chip. Then I saw my friend Robin! Big hug, great to see her there volunteering…

6:45 AM – started to defizz my Red Bull…. Drank that down, then about 20 minutes later had my GU Espresso Love with water…. OK, I’m buzzing and ready to rock! My swim wave was supposed to go off at 7:31 AM.

~8:00 AM – another late start. Swim course is laid out longer than the original 750 meters, no worries. I went out strong, stayed focused and had a good swim. Passed a lot of folks who were in the earlier wave. Came out of the water, looked at my watch – 00:00:00, never started! Grrrr…. Very similar to LV, there is a LONG run up the boat ramp and to T1 (Transition 1). Like LV (I’m learning), I put my sandals at the top of the ramp for the rough pavement between there and T1. Swim + run to T1 19:45. I am figuring about 16 mins. for the swim, which is still way slow for me. Must be the open water.

T1 – OK, I’m a transition ‘sitter.’ Sat down, socks on, shirt on, race belt on (required to wear number on bike and run), shoes – GO. T1 2:10.

Bike – Ouch again. Coming up out of T1, the hill was so steep many folks were walking their bikes. The entire bike course (out and back 6.25 miles each way) was uphill, downhill, repeat. I had one section I thought I heard my tire flatting. Pulled over. Nothing. Started riding, heard it again – I wasted about 3 minutes and finally found a piece of something had lodged in my brakes. Cleared it and rode on. Total bike 47:42.

T2 – pretty quick for me. In and out in 1:10.

Run – This really hurt. Up the same hill out of transition. I thought “just finish the race.” I walked up most of the hills and ran over the peak, and down… and ran any flats I could find. Luckily I had brought a bottle of water with me, b/c it started getting HOT! Mercifully the run ended at 29:13. I was trashed. Had my Endurox R4 and some bananas.

Ended up 10th of 14 in my Age Group, 109th of 198 Overall. Pretty slow day, but considering the hills and heat (and that I just raced last week), I’ll take it….

Next up – Some Quarterman October 30th.

Ken
Old 10-03-2005, 11:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fantabulous, Ken!

Good time for your post to come along. I was just sitting here feeling frustrated and angry, so I need to hear this... motivated as I am by things physical.

Good job, buddy!

--anne
Old 10-03-2005, 12:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How are things going for you Q?

Physical, yes.... good stuff -- BUT -- you'd better get out there soon if you want to do any outside things -- Fall is a coming in NY -- I remember those days, and truly miss the changing seasons!!!

Hope you are doing well... oh yeah, that physical stuff is a great way to get rid of anger and frustration as well! OK, praying works better

Ken
Old 10-03-2005, 12:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by NoMoBeer
Next up – Some Quarterman October 30th.
Sheesh...
Taking a bit of a long break, aren't we?:saywhat?:

I enjoy reading your reports, bro.
I break a sweat, then I have a soda and a meatball sub.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Heya, Ken -

I'm signed up for a couple of 5k's - one in November, one in December - but nothing as grand as I'd hoped for earlier in the season. Life gets in the way sometimes. My present high state of anxiety has to do with having too much to do in a short space of time with unexpected obstacles leaping up at every turn... and I'm not dealing with it well. I'm trying, but I think it'll be week's end before I stop with the horrid attitude. Lots of deadlines and my attention is being pulled in 18 different directions.

ANYWAY. enough.

I'm glad you did well. I am looking forward to my own races. And I think you're right - if I would just settle down for 3 seconds and say some prayers and put all of this into perspective, I would be better off. Thank you for the reminder - you have no idea how sorely needed it is right at this moment.

--anne
Old 10-03-2005, 12:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Ken
I love reading these race reports of yours! You're doing so great, a TOTAL inspiration, I think it might just help to get me up in the morning for some pilates!
Well done!
Love
Cathy31
x
Old 10-03-2005, 01:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

Ken,
Proud of you for doing all that swimming, running and biking.

I, too, have found that exercise (not officially competing!!!!) is very beneficial. Especially for my often overly sensitive and angry psyche!!!

I have done so many miles this spring/summer/and yep, fall of riding bikes/walking/roller blading; I'm known as the village idiot, I mean, the lady that's always on the sidewalks!!! Had my picture in the county paper 2 weeks ago walking on the "rails to trails" path. Had my picture in the local paper a week before that for shoveling ice cream in my mouth at the school's open house!!! Feeling truly like a celeb these days (being Jlo and all!!!).

I have recently made the decision to stop smoking. Smoke free, day 3 - HATING IT!!!! But I know it will get better. Of course I just found out that my ex is taking me to court AGAIN over visitation and support and blah blah blah (yet another wild hair up the you know where). Rode 20-22 mph this AM to the morning meeting (6 miles) was awesome. Any good pointers on breathing with MOUTH SHUT when you are vrooming along so as not to swallow gnarly bugs and the what-not?!?!?! Pointers would be appreciated.

Have a good one,
Jen
Old 10-03-2005, 03:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mouth shut....hmmm.. the only time I breathe through my nose is if I'm down in my aerobic zone. Once I go anaerobic, all bets are off, and I breathe through my nose and mouth -- ears, too if necessary !!! Seriously, if you are riding that fast, you're going to need to pull in the Oxygen...

Think those ciggies helped or hurt your breathing?

Keep it up, you can quit those bad boys!!!

Ken
Old 10-03-2005, 07:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

exercise
getting in shape
sports
the gym
running
the more the better

keep posting
Old 10-04-2005, 05:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ken,
Too early to know yet whether the smokes hurt or helped!!! Usually I ride between 14-18 mph by myself. I usually do end up sucking air in through my mouth and nose too. I really hate getting those pesky little critters in me though - yuk!!! Thought of maybe grabbing a "surgery mask" and wearing that - but they are hot and hard to breathe through.

I was good Saturday - 0 smokes; Sunday - 1 smoke; Monday - 1 smoke. Those need to stop too; before my ******** brain thinks it's going to trick me back into buying cartons again!!! Had a nasty panic/anxiety attack last night (that's my excuse for that one). Sunday excuse...hmmmm....oh, that's right, felt like I was going out of my frickin' mind!!! Hopefully we can get back to 0 today!!!

I have considered trying to jog again. Haven't exactly "run" since I was in high school...which was back in 91-92. I've had 2 surgeries on left knee and 1 surgery on right knee. Thought maybe taking it nice and easy - jog/walk kinda thing. Gotta clear out my lungs from all the tar and goop anyway!!!

Take care - keep doing a great job; not only on your sobriety (which I must say, it's really been awesome seeing the change in you) but also on these triathalons. That's great you've found something you really enjoy - plus you get to travel - how much better could it get.

Time to go get some thick AA coffee now. Take care and God bless,
Jen
Old 10-04-2005, 08:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Jen:
Yes, walk, jog, repeat. That's how I started about a year ago. I was still way overweight, so my body could not take the stress. I also recommend buying a simple Heart Rate Monitor (HRM), so you keep your training levels low, and help to build an aerobic base while being in the optimal zone to burn fat, build red blood cells, yada yada yada. The benefits of targeting that lower HR stuff are many. Feel free to PM me if you want, I LOVE to talk about fitness stuff!

Great job on the cigs, but you know the deal -- it's like booze. I was a smoker years ago, and it was all or nothing for me. 12 steps....?

Ken
Old 10-04-2005, 09:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoMoBeer
I breathe through my nose and mouth -- ears, too if necessary
I'm not saying a GD word about that one Ken.
No I'm not.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

:saroll:
Old 10-04-2005, 10:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Nice job on the tri. I know firsthand just how much dedication it takes to finish one. Even a "short" sprint distance! (Short Triathlon = oxymoron!)

Exercise (cycling especially) is definately the #1 medicine for me during this process. Even though I'm back at SR after a particularly nasty summer, I still manged over to log over 1500 miles. With any luck, I'll log another 500 or so before the end of the year.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i used to go to the gym for years
treadmill, stairmaster, weights, etc
it's good reading your post
the important thing is you finished
what you started out to do
keep posting

fraankie
Old 10-09-2005, 09:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Stay tuned... October is an exciting month... 10/26 will be 1 year of sobriety for me...

October 30th is a big day -- I am racing my longest race yet -- 1,000M swim, 28 mile bike, 6.6 mile run -- a Quarter Ironman. THEN, and most importantly -- that night having cake at my Home Group for my birthday!

Sitting on the sidelines today with some major back spasms....
Old 10-09-2005, 06:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

wow, congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and, guess what
nononononevermorebeerliguororgyspyrose
LOL
10/26 is my birthday
so i'll celebrate
with you
best
fraankie
Old 10-09-2005, 08:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Back spasms....hmmmm. Quite familiar (sadly) with those. What helps me is to lean forward (to stretch the muscles out) and put cold packs on them. Also increasing potassium and calcium intake.

Good luck on your next endeavor!!!
Jen

PS - Wow, a year already!!!!!!!! Way beyond awesome, Ken!!!!
Old 10-09-2005, 10:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ken, as an old tri guy, I really enjoy hearing about your adventures! Keep up the great job!

Where is the Quarter going to be?

Tom
Old 10-19-2005, 09:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Where is the Quarter going to be?...and when??