talked to attorney

Old 09-08-2005, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
May it be

Location: A new day. Today I just see bright colors, in the small world of my dreams.
Unhappy talked to attorney

for anyone who has followed my story... I finally talked to an attorney about the bills that are due for my helping an xabf to get his business re-started then it failed (we all know why!!!) He basically told me that I can set up an appointment to file bankruptcy. So then my only other recourse is to pay these bills. That I am wasting my time, if I send out letter stating these are not my bills, the business is back into his name (he is the proper owner) I have already been paying on my credit cards for thousands. So much for american dream/ and not listening to anymore bs.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Did you take on those bills-are they in your name or did you just pay them to be a "friend"?
Old 09-08-2005, 03:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Chris...

You can also go to OPD... which is Orderly Payment of Debts...

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/B-3/C.R...369/20976.html

It's a provincial program.. so..

It's a little different than bankrupcy cause you agree to pay the bills... but according to your income...

so... you could be making one small payment and get them off your back.. cause they can't contract you once you've registered....

but.. if you have nothing to take... and you don't care that you will have shyte for credit for 7 years... then you might as well wipe the slate clean and start over.

It happened to me... and I started out again with nothing....

My money motto....

look after the pennies... and the dollars will look after themselves... ;o)

It was a hard lesson...
Old 09-08-2005, 03:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
May it be

Location: A new day. Today I just see bright colors, in the small world of my dreams.
some of them are in my name. I'm trying to make arrangements to pay. I don't have anything of much value, but think that maybe I might need that credit for emergencies. This definetly sucks. But in the meantime this will reinforce me to go no contact.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Chris...

Not to knock you paying the bills... but.. in this credit crazy world... and seeing the debt isn't really yours... ;o)......

If the debt is going to be a HUGE hardship for more than 7 years... well... your credit is shot for 7 years anyway... ;o)
cause I tell ya... nobody but a loan shark is gonna lend you money if your credit history is in arrears as it stands now... and will continue to be.

I got by just fine without credit... and I bought a house and own a vechicle and everything... even with the bankrupcy on my report... so...

You can always go back after the discharge and pay the bills that are yours... as a good ninth step would have us do... if your familiar with the 12 Step program... ;o)

Something to think about anyway.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that Chris.

Well when my second marriage ended he got the house, subran and the boat.... I got what furniture I wanted, a car that was 10 years old and about 75% of extreem debt.

Its a long story why I took on more then my share of the debt but after 3 years of bearing the burden and my ex not following through with promises, I filed bankruptcy.... since then (4 years ago now) I have been working my credit and it is almost 700 .... I have bought a car and have 2 credit cards (low credit lines) and have a company willing to fiance a home... at a resonable rate.

It sucks, yep it really does, but maybe just maybe that was less sucky then something that could have happened if I had good credit and used it on my last ex-abf's business or something, *shrugs* who knows

Just do what your gut tells you to do, what is right for you and then move on with life knowing that it will all fall into place.

*hugs* and get a little doll to put pins in *giggles* OK just kidding.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

I know alot of people need to put a puplic annonucement in the legal section of the paper stating that a partnership or legal responsibility for another bills has been ended. It won't take care of old bills but at least he won't be able to use your name or credit in the future. Kerry