Notices

How to help

Old 09-07-2005, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy How to help

I found this web site by accident. I think that this is a great place for me to start. I am not an addict but I have 2 siblings who are. One of my siblings has been sober for 6 years while my other sibling is just beginning her journey. Over the weekend she checked herself into a drug rehab program. I just don't know how I can best help her. Over the last few days we have found out alot about my sister and I really had no idea what she was going thru. I feel responsible for her lonliness. She & I really have not parted ways but our lifestyles are very different. I knew that drugs was in her life I just didn't know how heavily she depended upon them. I am worried about her as I am afraid that this may not work because I am not real sure how committed she is to getting better. I want to be apart of her recovery but I am just unsure of my role in it. I did get a chance to see her and when she realized I was there she hugged me so hard. I truely love my sister and all I want for her is to see her help herself and become the person that she wants to be, not what we want her to be. I am asking for some advice onhow to help. If anyone has any quotes or prayers that has helped them along there journey I would love to receive them, as I am putting together a book for my sis for when she feels down or lonely she will be able to pick up this book and know that we care about her! I would greatly appreciate the help!

Thanks again for listening!!
1of8
Old 09-07-2005, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

All you can do is love her. She has to do the rest!
Old 09-07-2005, 11:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

But I always have I guess it has just been from a distance!
Thanks for the advice!
Old 09-07-2005, 04:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your sister is so lucky to have you. I'm really sorry that i don't have any quotes for you. Maybe you could put some pictures and momentos from "the good old days" in your book. I know the 12 step program is filled with words of wisdom. You could also write a letter of support to her (letting her know how much you really do love her) and include that in the book also. Although you can't "make" her change, I'm sure your support will help her quit when she's ready. We all need support afterall.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thank you for the advice. I did all those things. I wrote her a note and I put pics. in it. She cried because she was so happy. I did get to visit her this past weekend. She seemed very happy to be free. She really appears to be making this her new life! I was very happy to get to be with her, I actually missed being able to sit and talk to her without wondering if what she was saying to me was a lie. My other siblings get to visit this weekend, I have to sit this one out! I am so proud of her and what she is accomplishing for herself. This is such a difficult time for her. I just keep praying for her and she is in my thoughts everyday!!
Again Thank you!