Notices

Husband is addicted

Old 08-31-2005, 01:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Husband is addicted

Hi,

I am 23 years old and I have been married to my husband who is 28 for 4 years. For the first 2 years of our marrige he was on Codine on an off for different things, but for the past 2 years he has been on it non stop for several different things.

He has become almost obsessed with it. If he has only a few pills left all he can think of is convincing the doctor to give him more. If he does run out, he can't get out of bed until he gets more.

He denies being addicted and claims he has real pain.

The doctor he currently has does not have his medical records and has no idea that he has been this much pain meds. He left the doctor before because they wouldn't give him anymore.

I don't know what to do, how do I help him when he doesn't see a problem?

thank you,
Ella
Old 08-31-2005, 02:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

(((Ella)))
Welcome to Sober Recovery!! Here, you've found a group of people who understand what you are dealing with and care.
Please come down to the naranon forum. There, you will find many "stickys" which contain much helpful information.
We loved ones learn the 3 Cs of addiction. We didn't Cause it; we can't Control it; and we can't Cure it. But, we can learn to Cope with it.
I suggest you get the book, Codependent No More, by Melody Beattie. It will help you look at your own behaviors and learn to make better choices for yourself. Addiction is a family disease, Ella. It effects us all. And we need to learn to look out for ourselves, else we fall victim to this disease ourselves. My son is the addict in my life; his DOC is heroin. I divorced my husband of 24 years when he became addicted to gambling; he almost lost our home twice. I understand what you're dealing with.
I hope to see you often as we both grow in our recovery.
Shalom!
Old 09-01-2005, 09:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Finally, if you suspect he is in that much pain, codeine probably will not do it. I've been told codeine does have a threshold where it just doesn't relieve anymore pain.

There are other drugs that are non-narcotic that do a better job at relieving the pain. I supplement my codeine (which I did not abuse and did take for pain) with motrin for years. It worked wonders. Or Aleve.

However, the other behavior you describe is addict behavior. I'd recommend you get talk to a doctor on the side or educate yourself on pain control. There are ways to control pain without codeine.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome to SR. I have an abf who is now in recovery to pain meds too.
Stick around here, and read lots of posts, you will learn a lot, and discover new things about YOU too.
Glad you joined us!