Notices

just diagnosed highly likely bi-polar

Old 02-14-2002, 11:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Debbie

Lightbulb just diagnosed highly likely bi-polar

i just spent a month in bed, and fortunatly i had a counseling appointment and was prescribed zyprexia for mood swings that have gotten out of control. previously i was being treated only for chronic depression and panic attacks. i hadn't had any serious panic attacks for two years. i was feelin ok. getting things done slowly but surely...but honestly not really going anywhere personally or professionally. then in november my SSI got approved and we were able to buy a car, pay all back bills, get a new computer, and have food in the house at all times. so why did i suddenly feel so out of it? why did i spend a month in bed or lying on the couch only getting up if i really had to? why couldn't i concentrate long enough to read a book or work on a painting...then i went to the dr and related how ALL the women in my family are bi-polar and the men most likely tooo. she said with my anti depressant (effexor) that if i was bipolar i'd be all amped up...which i was with exception to this month of serious depression. i would work like crazy for a week or two and then loose interest. my painting instructor had to make me finish a painting because i would start and loose interest and go on to the next one.
after a week on the zyprexia i notice such a difference. the main one is that i'm getting a lot of rest and eating better (this one is dangerous for me because i have an eating disorder)so far i've been able to maintain eating habits. anyway, what i'm wondering is one of my therapists suggested that since my last major depression that put me in bed was ten years ago may be the bipolar is in cycles. what does that mean to me and how do i manage it. do i mark ten years on the calender and be alert? can it be controlled? all this is new to me. any help would be welcomed. and thanks for being here.

Old 02-14-2002, 11:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Julia

Debbie,

Look at the message by Xaita, it posts a board for bi-polar.

Juls