Notices

Mother needs help

Old 09-21-2001, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bbuergey

Mother needs help

My 29 year old son has just been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder. My ex-husband had this disorder, and my son has had moments where I thought he might have it, and has always had a depression issue, but this last episode was definitely manic.

He has started on medication, but in the last 4 months has spent over $20,000 on God knows what, and his credit is in ruins. I have been helping financially as best I could. I took out a second on my house, but the main thing is at this point he doesn't seem to have any purpose. He did complete his BA in business and is extremely intelligent. Very good with computers. I would like for him to go back to school and get certified, but this will cost a lot of money.

Does anyone out there know of any grants or scholarships for something like this?

Old 09-22-2001, 09:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Lightbulb

Your best bet would be to go to just about any search engine (Google, *****, etc.) and type in "financial aid" along with the name of the state or school you plan on attending.

Another option, that may actually be easier, is to visit the Financial Aid office at your local college or university. They should have more information than you could've ever hoped for.

Hope this helps, and best of luck to both you and your son.

------------------
Chad Colbert
[email protected]
http://www.helpdepression.com/
Old 10-04-2001, 08:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
carly

In my experience, it can take a long time to find a medication that works for this and even then, the person may not take it. My boyfriend was diagnosed with bipolar disorder over a year and he's just now really taking his medication every day. Now that he's taking it, it makes a huge difference; no more spending huge amounts of money, that type of thing.