Notices

Does anybody know anything about CAMPRAL?

Old 08-01-2005, 11:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does anybody know anything about CAMPRAL?

Hi to all
Someone told me today about a new drug that is available in Australia that is supposed to alleviate all cravings for alcohol, with no side effects.Its trade name is CAMPRAL . The active ingredient is acamprosate calcium 333mg and this person reckons it works. It is only available on prescription from a doctor, and is covered by our pharmecutical benefit in Australia. Has anybody had any experience with this, or know of anybody that has tried it. Any information will be appreciated.
Greg
Old 08-02-2005, 01:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi Greg,

I am in Melbourne and have not heard about this, but I am sure someone has and will help you. Maybe talk to eddie.

nogard
Old 08-02-2005, 05:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Funny you sould ask, I just received this email from my exwife the other day. She is SA counciler.

"Have you heard about Campral (generic: acamprosate calcium)? It's an Rx drug used to help keep alcoholics from relapsing. It's only been on the U.S. market and approved for treatment of alcoholism for about a year.

Apparently, it's used after someone has been detoxed for at least 5 days, and it helps with physical and emotional discomfort that people feel in the weeks and months following alcohol detox. It's different than Antabuse/Disulfiram, which causes severe illness (and sometimes even death) when people drink, and from Revia/Naltrexone, which blocks the reinforcing effects and (sometimes) cravings for alcohol. Interesting."

I could ask her if she has any more info or clinical experience with it. She is the clinical director of a good sized treatment center. It might not be available in Australia yet, I'm not sure. Try Googling it!! Take care.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
a hole new life

Camparol its working for me!

Hi Iam from London where this drug is preety common. I was prescibed it some weeks ago but did not take it serious and kept forgetting to take it, could it be something to do with the booze I wonder?? I have been taking the prescribed amount for six days now and it certainly helps to ease the cravings, I have not noticed any side effects......yet! My doctor has recomended that I should take them for at least one year. Good luck
Keep on digging