Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Attendiong Alanon when My AH is actually a drug addict... question

Old 07-24-2005, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was wondering what you all thought about a family member of a drug addict attending alanon instead of naranon. There are no naranon meetings in my area. The lady at the meeting last week said that it is okay, since it is all addiction, and NA says that alcohol is a drug too.

One of the pamphlets I received said that that program is not intended for families of addicts.... I am just confused as to if that program is for me or not...

What is your opinion?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2005, 09:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Was the pamplet you received Conference Approved Literature, (CAL)? Only CAL is "official" alanon literature.
I have never seen that and I go to alanon for the same reason.
I can't answer your question for the above reason. But, I have a sponsor in alanon for myself dealing with my heroin addicted son. She doesn't mind!
(Although a few others wouldn't sponsor me because they felt uncomfortable.)
Shalom!
Old 07-24-2005, 09:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is my first post to this forum. There are several members of my Al-Anon groups who are dealing with drug addiction in their families instead of alcohol. All anyone has ever said at my meetings is "Welcome, keep coming back".

Good luck in your recovery,
Karen
Old 07-24-2005, 09:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I haven't seen that pamphlet, but here's my story on it.

January 2004 I went to an Alanon meeting, there was no Naranon here. I had the same question as you did, which is a perfectly natural question. I asked too, and was told the same thing. I however, I guess I wasn't ready and also I still felt like I needed Naranon instead. Didn't go back but still kept visiting boards which was good in the meantime.

January 2005 I went to an Alanon meeting. By that time it seemed fine regardless because I had been hit by the obvious brick that in my situation alcohol was also an issue in addition to drugs. But I was also more open to it this time and I do now fully realize that Alanon IS for those whose situations only include drugs too. There is a naranon here now and nothing against them at all...but I really like my alanon meetings the best right now. There are some differences sure, but when it boils down to the core stuff, it is all the same. There are likely others there for the same reason too. Last week someone asked me about it and I told her yes please feel free to come here to Alanon and I completely understood where she was coming from when she asked me that, because that was me before.

Anway YES it is for you. Dont' worry about what the pamphlet says. And just remember too to be open to it. It is for you nomatter what the pamphlet might say, I imagine the people there don't feel that way. And if for some reason they did try going anyway or try a different one.

Hope this helped some.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know for me; eventually most alcoholics do at least dabble in drugs, even if it does not become their DOC. It could be life cercumstances that dictate (ie.alcohol IS legal) ; but especially those who grew up during the 60's and 70's and younger seem to be polyaddicted. My sister in in outpatient rehab now , and although she prides herself that she is "only an alcoholic"; she said that the counselors have even said that that is now the exception, rather than the rule for most people they now see in treatment.

If that is the case; it must hold true for their families, too..right? Good luck, where ever you go for help!
Old 07-24-2005, 11:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think the 12 steps can be applied to LOTS of things.

You can be powerless over anything from grumpy people to bad weather!
And if somehow your life become unmanagable because of another outside force learning the tools from al-anon certainly couldn't hurt!

An addiction is an addiction. Help is help. Fellowship is fellowship.

Hope this helps...good luck!
Old 07-24-2005, 11:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Yes, Al anon is open for those whose loves ones are afflicted by drug abuse. If anyone in any group tells you different, ignore them.

The phamplet was not an Al anon approved phamplet. I am very familiar with our literature and there is none that state that.

I attended Nar anon for 10 years, even tho my A was alcoholic. Just felt good there. So,,you keep coming back, ya hear!
Old 07-24-2005, 12:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I used Alanon when I was with my ex to deal with his schizophrenia and it helped a lot.

Alanon can basically be applied to most situations if not all.

Ngaire