Note to self; SR is therapy!

Old 07-06-2005, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Note to self; SR is therapy!

I haven’t been posting as much on here which is defeating the object of registering with SR in the first place!:slaphead

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

There are so many eloquent peeps on here that I find myself thinking that I don’t have much to contribute ( advice wise) maybe I need to work on my self esteem.

Equus’ thread I'm SO angry!! Has prompted me to give you all an update on my P; as he has some of the same problems and characteristics as Equus’ D.<o:p></o:p>

P was supposed to be going into detox 2 weeks ago but it was cancelled due to a salmonella outbreak at the unit; so I’ve had the joy of coping with the ups and downs of P’s condition for a little longer!<o:p></o:p>

Don’t get me wrong, as I’ve said before; P is in no way abusive it’s just emotionally and physically draining but I’m doing my best to keep on top of that.<o:p></o:p>

It’s hard trying to get enough sleep when your partners sleep pattern is as disturbed as P’s is!!<o:p></o:p>

Here’s why. <o:p></o:p>

P was in the “Crash’n’Smash” division of the RAF for 4 of his 17yrs service; the horror’s he has had to deal with are beyond description (think Lockerbie among many and including some U.S.A.F. disasters) this has left him with terrifying nightmares made a hundred times worse because of his alcohol addiction; he also gets attacks of hyper-anxiety when he wakes up from these. He’s on medication to help him cope with this but the alcohol sometimes wins.<o:p></o:p>

On a slightly lighter note, he sleep walks!

I don’t think that I’ve ever met or heard of anyone who can talk so eloquently; or laugh as loudly as P does when he’s asleep.<o:p></o:p>

There are many stories I could tell you about but the most recent was last night.<o:p></o:p>

P was dreaming that a cat had got in the house; he got out of bed to chase it away, ran down stairs and slipped on the 3<SUP>rd</SUP> from bottom step; fell the rest of the way. I came down to find him sat on the sofa with a ciggy in his hand; lit the wrong end, and him saying he was keeping a watch for more cat intruders. He was still asleep!!!

It’s not wise to wake people up in this state unless you have to so I laid him down and covered him up. He woke up a little while later; he remembers everything about it and we had a good laugh.<o:p></o:p>

Yesterday we had the rescheduled appointment with the head of the unit P is waiting to be treated at. This Dr is a top psychiatrist and also well qualified in alcohol detox, P got on well with him and that is of paramount importance. We are just waiting for confirmation of the details from the Dr’s assistant but the Dr has stated that he wants P in for detox next Monday YEY!!! I was so afraid he might say that P was a candidate for home detox. I couldn’t have coped with that! I was prepared to have a screaming fit in the Dr’s office in order to convince him I was unfit! If anything gets bad with P during his treatment I’d rather he was with the professionals than with me at home trying to get an ambulance to take him to A&E!<o:p></o:p>

I also need the time to recharge my batteries.<o:p></o:p>

End of update<o:p></o:p>

I’ll let you know how the detox goes. All my fingers and toes are crossed that he gets the most effective treatment this time.<o:p></o:p>

And, don’t worry guys; I am working on myself too, more of that later.<o:p></o:p>

Your input and advice is always very much appreciated. <o:p></o:p>
Old 07-06-2005, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

I'm happy for you that P is going into detox. You and he will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Blessings
Old 07-06-2005, 10:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I find myself thinking that I don’t have much to contribute
Just WRONG!

You have experience. Thoughts. Ideas. Hugs to offer. Smiles to share.

Prayers for the detox offered!
Old 07-06-2005, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

susane - i am glad P decided to go into supervised detox - i've been down the other road and it's not fun. i truly hope you can "recharge" your batteries.

i don't post much either but we all contribute in our own ways even if it's just to give prayers and hugs to one another!!!!!

keep on coming!
Old 07-06-2005, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you are back. Keep us posted.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

See I gorrold of this long pointy thing - fo' gerrin human sized, much needed, smart as 'ell folk out their shells. So if you or cwohio feel a stabby sensation followed by a bi rr'o tugging don't fight it!!

Old 07-06-2005, 12:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I found my best progress was when AH was away on business. It gave me a chance to re-realize what "normal" was and how off balance "I" was when he was home.

It was the impetus for HUGE change for me -- and, ultimately, for us.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by equus
See I gorrold of this long pointy thing - fo' gerrin human sized, much needed, smart as 'ell folk out their shells. So if you or cwohio feel a stabby sensation followed by a bi rr'o tugging don't fight it!!

I get Girl! but how about a translation for our U.S buddies.

P.S. Point taken OUCH!!
Old 07-06-2005, 12:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I reckon they'll gerrit, maybe wi rr'a bi rr'o 'elp from minnie ?
Old 07-06-2005, 12:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cwohio
susane - i am glad P decided to go into supervised detox - i've been down the other road and it's not fun. i truly hope you can "recharge" your batteries.
Thanks CW, P has told me about his past home detox and I definitly don't want to travel that road.
And thanks to all of you. You are real confidence builders!!