Notices

Have a question for any addicts

Old 07-02-2005, 05:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Have a question for any addicts

OK here goes,

Today i had surgery. Before i went i told the doctors i did not want any narcotics at all. Aside from anastesha (SP?). Now im misrable. I hurt in places i didn't know you COULD hurt. My question is: If i get pain meds while im here in the hospital, does it count against me and my clean time?? I am very proud of the 86 days i have, so i don't want to have to start over.

Just seeking advise
James
Old 07-02-2005, 06:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Greatful Sober Biker

Hey James if your doctor precribes them and you take them as you are precribed you do not loose your clean time. If you are in pain by all means take them you don't need to suffer.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

Just remember you are responsable for your recovery not your doctors. Take minimal amounts and remember that you are responsable. I have to remember that once I put that chemical in my body that I have no control of where it takes me, so keep recovering addicts close and talk with your sponsor and network.

Peace,
Todd J.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No expectations!

In Times of Illness
That's really between you, your HP, and your sponsor, but the above booklet may help. Best wishes to you, James!!

Love and s,
Eddie
Old 07-02-2005, 10:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Illness or injury is stressful, and stress can place us at risk of relapse. Often, we need the NA program even more when we are faced with illness. We can prepare ourselves for these stressful times by doing our best each day to lay a strong foundation in recovery. The steps we take today will serve us well when we need them.

The Basic Text states:
"This is a program of total abstinence; however, there are times, such as in cases of health problems involving surgery and/or extreme physical injury, when medication may be valid. This does not constitute a license to use. There is no safe use of drugs for us. Our bodies don't know the difference between drugs prescribed by a physician for pain and drugs "prescribed by ourselves" to get high. As addicts our skill at self-deception will be at a peak in such a situation. Often our minds will even manufacture additional pain as an excuse to use. Turning it over to our Higher Power and getting the support of our sponsor and other members can help prevent us from being our own worst enemies. Being alone during such times would give our disease too much leeway to take over. Honest sharing can dispel our fears of relapse. Serious illness or surgery can present particular problems for us.

Physicians should have specific knowledge of our addiction. Remember that we-not our doctor-are ultimately responsible for the risk we expose ourselves to. To minimize the danger there are a few specific options that we may consider. These are using local anesthesia, avoiding our drug of choice, if any, stopping while we are still hurting, and spending extra days in the hospital in case withdrawal occurs.

Whatever pain we experience will pass. Through prayer, meditation and sharing we keep our minds off our discomfort and have the strength to keep our priorities in order. It is imperative to keep N.A. members close by at all times, if possible. It is amazing how our minds will go back so quickly to our old ways and old thinking. You'd be surprised how much pain we can handle without medication. In this program of total abstinence, however, we need feel no guilt after having taken a minimum amount of medication prescribed by an informed professional for extreme physical pain.

We grow through pain in recovery and often find that such a crisis is a gift, an opportunity to experience growth by living clean. Before, we were unable to even conceive of the thought that problems bring gifts. This may be finding strength within ourselves that we never knew before or regaining the feeling of self-respect we had lost."

From the NA web site:
“Use of psychiatric medication and other medically indicated drugs prescribed by a physician and taken under medical supervision, is not seen as compromising a person's "clean time." Regarding such use, members are encouraged to consult their own experience, the experience of other members, and qualified health professionals. “

Also: "the use of prescribed medication for the treatment of specific medical or psychiatric conditions is neither encouraged nor prohibited by NA. While recognizing numerous questions in these areas, Narcotics Anonymous feels that they are matters of personal decision and encourages its members to consult their own experience, the experience of other members, and qualified health professionals in making up their minds about these subjects."

What seems to be forgotten by more zealous members is that the only requirement for membership in Narcotics Anonymous is “the desire to stop using.” Sometimes using drugs is not a choice.

You might find it helpful to take a look at the Narcotics Anonymous booklet #1603—'IN TIMES OF ILLNESS'

Tell your doctor about your addiction. Tell your sponsor. Tell your friends so they can help you deal with the very real problems you’ll be facing and continue on your path to recovery.

Sometimes, alternative methods of treatment can be used. Many of these methods require little or no medication or the use of medication that doesn't alter our moods or our thinking. This is another way in which we can exercise responsibility for our recovery, even during illness. Some NA members share that they have felt spiritually strengthened by exploring and utilizing these alternatives.

Suggestions to Follow When Faced with Illness;

Some of our members have found the following list of suggestions helpful in dealing with the impact of illness on their recovery.

Go to as many NA meetings as possible.

Work closely with your sponsor

Read NA literature

Reach out to other NA members. Ask for support.

Write about your feelings.

Practice the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions.

Pray and meditate.

Share your thoughts and feelings honestly and openly.

Identify yourself as a recovering addict to health care professionals.

Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking over-the-counter drugs.

Arrange for an NA member to be with you during surgery or other medical treatment involving drugs.

Honestly evaluate your condition and explore alternatives to medication.

Continue on your path of recovery in Narcotics Anonymous.

I hope this helps.

Peace and Huggs,

Richie S.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
An Addict name Jerome.......

Hey James, Just because we are recovering addicts does not mean we have to suffer. I had to make this decision myself, with the help of my HP and my sponsor I made the one that was right for me. They have non-narcotic pain meds. that work, part of our recovery is starting to takin care of our self, and asking for help from people that knows alittle more than we do. I told my docs. that I am a recovering addict who wants to still be clean after this is over. They understood and they was right there with me the whole way. Keep up the good fight, and here is a Big Hug from this addict name Jerome.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi James, I can relate to your concern. Last month I had surgery to take the screws and metal plate out of my leg. The hospital staff and surgeon knew from my accident last year that I was a recovering addict.

I talked it over with my sponsor before my surgery and she told me what you have been told here. As long as I take them as prescribed and don't abuse them it would be ok.

Thank God for them. The pain was intense and I did take the meds that the surgeon prescribed, but he only gave me what he felt I would need to get over the initial pain when I got home. He also gave me a prescription for 20 T3's, of which I only wound up needed 3.

I have no guilt over taking the meds, and feel it was necessary due to the circumstance.

Hope your feeling better soon.
Diana
Old 07-03-2005, 07:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My former sponsor told me this: We came into recovery to STOP suffering. We don't have to be martyrs (sp).

You are in the hospital, the meds are supervised and prescribed by a doctor. You are taking them for pain that is real. Just don't allow your disease to convince you that you are in more than you really are. Let the doctor and the nurses decided on the dosage.

I think it is a great suggestion for you to check out the In Times of Illness pamphlet.