Notices

Depression

Old 07-01-2005, 11:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression

Really struggling with the depression lately, which obviously makes the need for alcohol so much easier to deal with...

Meds aren't working at all. If anything they're making things worse.
Life is improving from terrible to half decent, but that doesn't seem to make any difference, while the depression is like this everything is terrible. Hell, I could win the lottery tomorrow and it'd probably make me want to throw myself off a bridge.

I'm trying everything I can to stop the depression getting the better of me again but I don't think I have any hope of being happy again any time soon. And then you're supposed to resist alcohol while dealing with all of this?!...

I don't know what the point of this post is. I guess if someone has some miracle cure for either depression or an alcohol addiction it'd be helpful. Failing that, I don't have a clue why I'm posting this... still, I needed to rant a bit about it.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

SS;
Rant all you need! That's why we're here. To listen and share our ESH.
I don't know how long you've been on the meds, but, they can take 4-8 weeks to kick in. Have you been on them that long? If so, and you're not feeling better, you need to talk to your doctor. This is an imprecise science and sometimes, it's trial and error. But, hold on. It CAN and it WILL get better!
Also, are you drinking while your on the meds? Alcohol is a depressant. Taking an antidepressant while drinking is defeating the purpose. The booze cancels out the effect of the meds.
Now, what about your daily ritual? It often helps to set a schedule for your daily events. Getting up at the same time; going to bed at the same time; eating dinner at a specific time...within reason of course.
Also, are you eating properly? Balanced diet. Vitamins. Lots of water. The body needs this stuff to work properly and there is a connection between body and mind.
Are you exercising? Try to do so. It sets off endorphines in the brain, those "feel good" natural chemicals. Just don't exercize for 3 hours before bed. Otherwise, it can interfer.
These are things that helped me when I was in the middle of my depression. I hope they help.
Please don't feel like it's not working. It will. WIth time. And a little help from your friends here at SR!
Others will be here soon to give more information and share their own ESH.
Let us know how it's going, ok?
Shalom!
Old 07-02-2005, 06:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree Rant On!!

Early recovery is just plain hard but NOT as hard as crossing your own boundaries and relapsing. Please hang in there. Exercise is an excellent anti depressant too. Stick with us at SR and give sobriety a chance. You will be amazed before you are half way through. Do you attend AA or have any other support group?
Old 07-04-2005, 12:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I relate

Hey staying! Just keep plugging along.
I started taking meds for my depression 3 years into sobriety. It was a hard choice - I felt very self-conscious. It's taken me over a year to find the right meds. This year sucked, but was nothing compared to the 3 years I was sober and just waiting hoping it would go away if I (went to 8 meetings a week, held a job, didn't hold a job, worked a set of steps, worked another set of steps, got a new sponsor, went back to the old sponsor, worked a set of steps, read self-help books, etc). I finally had to cave and admit I wasn't causing my depression and it wasn't just going to go away. No matter how active I was with my program - it really was just biological and I needed meds. Finally starting to seek help in that department made a world of difference for me, and I had to find other depressed people in recovery to keep reminding me it was going to be worth it. Today I know it will be and that yes - the best is yet to come. Just hang in there, find others going through the same, and of course, do whatever you need to do to stay sober. A good program kept me alive through my stubborn times
Old 07-06-2005, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi SS
Thanks for your post - I could really identify. I've suffered from depression for many years, and only since getting sober have I had any reprieve from it. I know how frustrating it is when a particular med doesn't work, or you seem to be slipping backwards. It scares the pants off me when I feel the black cloud descending, and I feel powerless. The others suggested some great ways to manage depression, and I concur; exercise/diet/sleep/meetings/possibly meds etc are all terrific ways to do so. It's when I stop doing these things that depression slips back in and I scratch my head, wondering, 'hey, how come I'm depressed again?' so I am glad for the reminder too. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, we still get depressed from time to time. I just try my hardest to hang in and to hang on at those times, praying that I'll get through it relatively unscathed. Hope you start to feel better soon; in the meantime keep posting and get all those feelings out. It helps to talk about it.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Hi i just stumbled on this site myself and stoked to be here. I am searching for awnsers just like you. I too strugle with depresion and booze to kill the pain that is only spiraling due to the booze. When i am depressed i can't help but to go to the bar and close it down. Tired of it.Really tired. Doc just upped my effexor to 225 mg and added buspurine,its only been a few days but it sounds like a lot of drugs too me.Feeal like a zombie. ANyway sorry to hijack your thread but your not alone and if anyone can point me to some really good threads that would be cool.The search thing iritates me. Thanks
Old 08-16-2005, 02:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can totally relate, StayingSober, as I suffer from Depression too & I also
find myself drinking sometimes, which is crazy because Alcohol is a depressant.
I'm going to see my Doctor this week & ask him to up my meds. I try to avoid
Alcohol now because I know it only makes Depression worse.....Hang in there
mate as it sometimes takes awhile for the Anti-Depressants to take effect.
Believe me, life does get better once your on the right meds.......

Yours Sincerely,
Old 08-16-2005, 03:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Many who have alcoholism also suffer from deppression. One of the founders of AA suffered greatly from it. The good news is you are so not alone. Maybe do some reading on BillW's struggle with it.
I have had deppression since adolescents,and its true, it can take the joy out of life,talk to your doctor about your med's,it sometimes takes acouple tries to find the right one.
Watch a funny movie and have a laugh. I will never forget the first time I laughed in sobriety. Help someone who is worse of then you are.Hang in there,it gets so much better.