Notices

I'm giving it the old college try!

Old 06-30-2005, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To Life!

Arrow I'm giving it the old college try!

Ok, I've GOT to do this!
I don't like smoking anymore. I want to quit. It's taken enough of my capacity, my money and my time, not to mention will power, away from me.
It's time to show the ciggies who's boss!!! ME!!!

The 4th of July is my quit date. Independence Day.
Fitting, I think!

I'll be coming in here regularly. I need to be held accountable. I need to be able to say I did it, just for today. One day at a time.
If, as in the past, I slip, well, I want it to be a slip - NOT a relapse. I need to tell someone that I slipped and not hide it. Not allow the nicodemon to tell me lies anymore. Get it straight from others who have been where I'm going and can share their ESH with me as I walk down this path.

Thanks for listening. And if you would, please hold me accountable!
Shalom!
Old 06-30-2005, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not crazy, just a lil unwell

I wish you all the best of luck. I am currently smoking, and hate it. I've stayed at 10 or less a day once I realized I was smoking over a pack a day!!!!, and plan on going down to 5 a day, then quitting altogether when I go back to school sometime in September.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

Originally Posted by historyteach
Ok, I've GOT to do this! And if you would, please hold me accountable!
Consider it done.

Not to brag, no scratch that, to brag, I have 14 weeks today. My wife has 15 weeks today. Why does she have one more week than I? That's as long as I could take the guilt trip. (grin)

We found that the patch was helpful for us both. For me I had to have something to reach for instead of a cigarette. I used sweet tarts, but anything would help. Chocolate, hard candy, peanuts in the shell maybe.

After eating a meal was the most difficult time for the cravings. Have that alternative handy. We also had to take the patch off a night, just before going to sleep, as the dreams seemed to be pretty intense while using the patch.

We also started smoking outside the house for a while before we quit. It helped to cut back a little before we quit. It worked as it was already getting hot here in Texas and we found that helped to curb the desire a little bit.

A big side benefit for me was not needing my allergy medicine anymore. A double cost saving!
Old 07-01-2005, 12:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'll be honest.........

"If, as in the past, I slip, well, I want it to be a slip - NOT a relapse. I need to tell someone that I slipped and not hide it."

Is allowing the possibility of failure before you even start.
If you don't adopt the attitude of NOT ONE PUFF NO MATTER WHAT,
you will not quit, but continue failing.
The successful quitter comes to grips with NO MATTER WHAT>>

Those Of You Searching for That Magic Bullet
There isn't one.
Better to learn how to *bite the bullet* instead, and succeed.
It is what you make it.
Once you decide NOT to SMOKE< NO MATTER WHAT.......it doesn't really matter if it's hard or easy.
IT IS WHAT IT IS.
and it will get easier, if you are just
patient ,
and have faith in what lies ahead.
Complete comfort can be yours as long as you don't smoke.

Further I believe it has NOTHING to do with LUCK..it has everthing to do with sheer determination and a willingess to fight for your life!!!
Old 07-01-2005, 01:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One more thing..
If you like the idea of a support group there are several on the net just for quitting smoking..
The one that I have found that I like is quitnet.com
It is informational, inspirational and you have a ton of people cheering you on...
Might want to take a look at their forums section and see if it might help you..
Old 07-03-2005, 07:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

good luck teach!
Old 07-03-2005, 07:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

Thanks for the support.
Tomorrow is the day...
Shalom!
Old 07-04-2005, 02:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

Greetings historyteach,

Have you laid down the cigarettes as promised? If you haven't you need to write a one thousand word essay on quitting, due tomorrow.

I have waited all my life to say that to a teacher. (grin)
Old 07-05-2005, 03:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To Life!

Yep!!!
I did it...now to continue doing it...one day at a time....

No essay yet, Plano.
Shalom!
Old 07-05-2005, 05:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

Congratulations,

You can do it, one day at a time.

I went to see my dentist today for a checkup. He noticed that I had quit smoking cigarettes without me telling him. I said I guess I don't smell smoky. His response was no I could tell by the condition of your gums.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Aaah Teach?? Where is the update?? I am only teasing. I quit 4 days ago.....OH YEAH...committ to quit!!! Seriously, I hope you are doing well. I forgot how difficult this was.

I have my gum, my crossword puzzles, and my pen in hand AT ALL times. I swear I am gonna sleep with my PEN. lol
Let us know, cause we are all here for support!
Hopefloats
Old 07-18-2005, 03:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
To Life!

Unfortunately, Hope, I have not been successful - YET!
The summer is still here.
I HAVE been working out though. Going to the gym; cardio and weights and swimming. It's been wonderful, and after the first few workouts, when I hurt like hell, I know feel invigorated and good leaving. So, one part of my fitness plan is active.
I have a very different respect today for people who have quit alcohol or drugs. (Yes, I know alcohol and tobacco are drugs! lol! You know what I mean. ) And I also have a bit of shame at not quitting yet. Not being able to quit is the truth.
I can't give up. And I sincerely hope that the exercise at the gym will be a motivating factor for me.
Good luck, Hope. You an beat this nicodemon!!!
Shalom!
Old 07-19-2005, 05:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well, I slipped yesterday right in the midst of the bad nurse story! grrrr..I am back on the "wagon" as they say...Damn..I was mad! Now, I am listing what I think are my triggers..for sure.

Today is a new day right? ONE day at a time. Thanks for checking in. We are all here to support one another as we take this journey.
GOOD for you, working out. Gosh how I miss that.
When My illness was in remission, I lived at the gym. I think it had alot to do with the shape I am in today..WHAT is that saying..."your're in good shape for the shape you are in!" ..LOL

And we have good genes in my family. No weight issues. But we know health is not about just "pounds"
The inner work is very important.. heart... respiratory. all of it counts. Keep up the good work. I will keep you posted.....
HOPE
Old 07-19-2005, 05:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

How about an affirmation......

When craving say: I am free....
Old 07-19-2005, 11:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I like THAT Splendra!! Really, see..I never thought of that. This is tough. It is an addiction. It really takes work. Today I was reflecting on the last time I quit..how great I felt. Sure the first few weeks were tough..but I almost immediately could feel the difference in my lungs.

I have "times" of the day that are more difficult. Mornings of course..but 3pm is a killer. That was my afternoon, coffee..and sit on the porch, watch my birds AND smoke time. I think I will sit in a different chair today. OR maybe just not go out there for a few days until I feel stronger...
thank you.
HOPE
Old 07-21-2005, 01:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Still learning...and seeking!

To anyone wanting to quit...notice I didn't say trying to quit!

It is very hard to quit...My hubby and I quit over 5 years ago. I had smoked since I was 15 years old, 40 years. We both have tried, (there's that word again), to stop smoking several times, but we stopped smoking, just once.

Some find the gum helpful. I didn't, because I do not "normally" chew gum. My hubby chewed the Nicorette, because he is a gum chewer.

It ,really, is just... whatever works!

Although, I do believe the hardest( and normally not sucessful) way to quit, is by "smoking less". Generally, and not always, that is just what it says; you just smoke less.

I feel you have to say that's it, I no longer smoke! If you start to crave that cigarette, tough, you just, simply, no longer smoke!

Please, I am not trying to be sanctimonious, snide, or a know-it-all. But it really is easier, than you think, when you just busy your thoughts, your hands, your bodies, with something else! You just( and no matter what happens) stop smoking! Because, when you smoke, after something triggers the desire; your chances of stopping, goes down!

Having said that, there were (and sometimes even now) days when, oh that smoke smelled so good to me...but I no longer was a smoker!
Some days, passing a vehicle, seeing a person "drag" on their cigarette....well ,you get the picture!

This has turned out to be a long story.... sorry about that!

Just one more thing...my hubby said that what helped him the most...was the image of a giant ashtray, holding all of the cigarette butts he had ever smoked!
Old 07-21-2005, 01:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sorry to come here and go on, and on, and on. I was on my way to find the SR Roundup pictures!

Now where are those pictures!
Old 07-21-2005, 02:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
To Life!

Lena;
Here's the link:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ad.php?t=63349

Now, ya wanna know what I got in the mail yesterday from my cousin? Mind you, I haven't seen her, (once my best friend), in over 30 years untill last Fall. She came for a visit. She sent me a carton of cigarettes.

Maybe my time is later....
Shalom!
Old 07-21-2005, 05:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

historyteach,
At this point, in time, a little "thinking of you" card, would have been kinder!

Now you do know, that it would not be any money out of your pocket...if you gave them to someone who wants to smoke!

Thank you for the link, I'm sure I will enjoy them!

splendra,
I like your affirmation "I am free", as I remember, the hold those darn cigs had on me. It went something like this:

I would start to make a phone call, "Now where are my cigs"?
I would finish my meal, "Now where are my cigs"?
I would start to leave the house, gotta' take those cigs"!
Get in my car, after leaving Wally World, fire that baby up!
And then, that late night smoke, get my drift?

Ah, yes, I remember it well!

hope,
You are right on! You have to change your routine.

If 3pm. is the most difficult, perhaps you could do all those things you enjoy, except, smoking. Perhaps you could write in your journal (or maybe start that book about your wonderful mother, watch the birdies through binoculars.