What do i do now?

Old 06-23-2005, 11:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy What do i do now?

I've been very worried about my sister for quite a while now, she has been heavily into crytal meth and drinking and only God knows what else, well today she finally got busted for it. I feel so horrible because my first reaction was "good, serves her right". I dont really want her to get into trouble, but maybe going to jail may help. Shes 22 and my family and i cant force her to do anything. My mom and dad are really stressed out. My mom cries everyday and my dad doesnt really talk much anymore. I feel so bad because I haven't reacted with crying or panicking. It's just I am so mad at her for ruining her life. I am not even mad at her for all the times shes ditched me when i needed her most. I can accept that, but I'm only seventeen yrs. old and I no longer seem to have an older sister and i dont know how to help her. i love her very much and i really need some advise on what to do.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
"The BAND" workshop ROCKS!

I'm sorry for your difficulties, but thanks for coming on board and posting here. I'm in Indy, so pretty nearby. I do know that may addicts, like alcoholics have to 'hit bottom' before they can try to get better. They can't do it for mom or dad or you, they have to really want to get better for themselves. Most people will deny their problems until they truly become unmanageable. Some folks will have multiple DUI's, lose jobs, trash their health, just to keep using.

Going to jail might just have done the trick for her. If she has had any other problems, this could be the final straw that makes her sit down and try to understand her addiction. Plus it's a little harder to cop drugs when in jail, so you tend to sober/straighten up rather quickly. They might start her on an AA or NA program, psychiatrist visits, etc, depending on the county. Unfortunately, some of the rural areas just 'lock em up' and don't provide services to try to heal offenders.

Say a prayer for your sis, write often- it does help.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

we as addicts need to hit bottom to open our eyes. i hit mine when i found myself in ICU, near death. i hope ypur sister does not have to go that far. please write to her, it does help. but take care of yourself. and maybe tell your mom and dad about this site. maybe your dad will open up to us?

our blessings to you and your family
Old 06-26-2005, 08:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Sarah...
I am going to copy your post over to the Friends and Family Forum, you will get more responses there....
Old 06-26-2005, 09:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

sarah, I'm sorry for your pain...

You and your family might benefit from attending some Al-Anon/Alateen meetings. The people there will be waiting with understanding, support and solutions for you.

I wish you and your family peace...
Old 07-13-2005, 11:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I really appreciate all your help. my sister is now out of jail and still running around. were pretty sure shes pregnant now and we cant find her. she came home a couple weeks ago and told me that she hated me and that i would be the last person on this earth to see that baby. im so confused. i love my sister a lot. and i know she needs to hit rock bottom, im just afraid itll kill her before that!. i need help. sarah*
Old 07-13-2005, 11:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forever In Recovery, Dana

my heart goes out to you

In my alcoholism and addictions, I have done the very same thing to the ones that I love most. Just when everyone was about to write me off for good, I had a spiritual awakening and a turning point. There is hope.
I have known a lot of pregnant people that had to have an intervention and they were put in treatment till the baby was born. At the very least that would protect the very innocent little blessing inside of her and maybe...just maybe she might see the light...
Maybe you can talk to the moderator here for more information. But for now, I am glad you are here to get the support that YOU need. Keep coming back, we are here for you.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

aw Sarah I'm so sorry to read what you are going through...and your parents too. I have an older sister and I can certainly empathize with the horrible feelings you must be feeling, this older sister who one would look up to or be friends with, in this state and behaving this way toward you saying mean things...and the anger you are talking about and just the overall feelings of helplessness and devastation. I hope you will try out some Alanon. Or naranon but there are more alanons out there I think. I personally found out that Alanon is my favorite. I really hope you will try it out and take one of each pamphlet home from there too. It is a wonderful source of comfort and support. If you try one and don't like it try another one and see if you like that one better.

((hugs Sarah))