Notices

Question about crack cocaine

Old 06-17-2005, 08:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Believe in Miracles

Question about crack cocaine

My husband is 56 years old and has been smoking crack for how long I am not sure but I found out about it 8 months ago. He switches from one drug to another. He is a 3 pack a day cigarette smoker and I just can't see how he can go on much longer. He had to stop with cocaine because he really messed up his nose. I became too painful so he swithced to crack. That really makes no sense to me. Won't this eventually kill him? Can someone that age ever really recover from addiction especially when he just keeps looking for another high?

Just needed to ask.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
"Self Will Run Riot!"

Yes it is more dangerous thab powder....

Petra,

If your husband only knew the benefeits of sobriety he would stop. Try to get him to an NA meeting or AA meeting. Go with him if you can.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
"The BAND" workshop ROCKS!

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. At advanced ages it seems difficult to stop and the health risks are greater. Does he drink also? I ask because AA seems more accessible to THIS alcoholic/addict and I'm 46. Does HE think he has a problem? Are there daily health problems? Good luck to you both.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery.And yes,recovery is possible at any age.As for the crack? It kills people everyday.You might want to check out the "Friends and family" forums here too.Hang in there.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

((((Petra)))

Anyone can do whatever they want to do. The key is the wanting to do it. Does your H indicate that he wants to quit smoking crack? It does not matter how old he is smoking crack is hard on the body.

Crack is my Hs doc. He is 55 years old. We have been round and round about his use of it. I have forced and cohersed him into treatment and he did not want it and it did not work. He has been clean now for almost a month. We have traveled thru lots of layers of dysfunction. Last week he started acting like he was going to use. I have been telling him I am not going to live with it and that I am to the point after all the tears and fears and fights and years that if he does it anymore that he simply must leave. He found "rational recovery" on his own and has been applying the tecnique that they reckomend so far so good.

I forced him through the courts to go to NA meetings once and he refused to participate it was a nightmare!! My H does not believe he used because he is sick he says he used because he wanted to. It seems the concept of why they use makes a difference to them. He goes to church every Sunday and feels he has the spiritual connection and support he needs. All I know is that his attitude is 1000% better abd I am glad that I am not going to have to kick him out again. Oh and by the way this is the longest I have seen him go with out using....
Old 06-18-2005, 03:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Believe in Miracles

My husband has been out of the house now for 6 weeks. I have been told to let him go and find his own way. I have had him in treatment and he goes back and forth into denial. He wants to live home but not get help for his addictions. One day he admits he has a problem and the next I have the problem. I don't want to get back in touch with him but then again I do want to. If I help him again isn't that enabling? He has lost everything and now is just living at his mothers with his addicted brothers. 4 of them. Sometimes I think he just doesn't love us anymore.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Petra,
It is not that he does not love you anymore, he just cannot see beyond what is in front of him, or in him. It is obsessive, and a cunning addiction.
It is so difficult to take the I love you , go away routine. If you can separate the two, maybe you will be at peace with yourself.
Take better care of you, and be with those who truely WANT your company. You deserve to have that in return.
My heart goes out to you.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My heart goes out to you as well. Mending Heart is right on.. the addiction is cunning and powerful and baffling! You deserve to have what YOU want out of life and he'll only stop when he's ready. Read the "Sticky" post about "what an addict wants"