Notices

Help, neice has just been told she is bi-polar

Old 06-15-2005, 06:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Help, neice has just been told she is bi-polar

Can some one please help. My Neice who just turned 18 has been told she is bi-polar today.

She is living with my husband and i because her mother my sister died 4 yrs ago. She just came two weeks ago, her moods are up and down, and she is very agressive.

She throws things and the anger is uncontrolled. She starts her meds tomorrow. She has been given only 1 weeks supply because of her sucide attempts. When she found out she could not have a months supply she became very violent. Screaming, throwing things etc.

Does anyone know how we can help her, it is so hard and scarey to live with her right now. Is there a live chat I can go to ? Please help !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2005, 06:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Welcome to SR, belkar! Sounds like she may need a brief hospitalization until she stabilizes some. I would talk to the psychiatrist on call about it. I'll keep you all in my prayers!

Love and hugs,
Eddie

P.S. There IS a chatroom here. Just click on the word Chat on the menu above.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank You for reply

Thank You,for your reply, I did call the doctor and he said if she becomes angry again to call the police for support. Then they can take her to the hospital.

This is really scary right now. She has just started her meds, I feel like I am walking on egg shells. She has been like this since she was about 11 yrs old. I did not know that teens could have this disorder.

Over the past 4yrs it really has gotten so much worse, I can only hope she stays on the meds.

I have looked in on the chat rooms but no one was there, is there a time I could try back when some one will be there.

Thanks
Belkar
Old 06-17-2005, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If she is suicidal (or a thread to others) she needs to see someone ASAP. Did her doctor think she was a threat to herself or others? It sounds like she would benefit from a 72 in-patient evaluation.

What meds did the doc give her only a week supply of? (I'd hope a mood stabilizer and an SSRI, or similar med) The reason I ask is that it doesn't make sense to have 1 wk worth, for a number of reasons. First off, if there is a risk of OD'ing, there are only certain meds she should have (SSRI, SNRI, etc)....because it is very hard to OD on them. Though if s/he gave her a MAOI or Tricyclic.....then I question the seriousness of her suicidality (you can OD much easier on the latter two).

Also, to see any noticable difference....you'll need more than 1 wk. If s/he isn't sure about the dosage level, I can see why it is 1 wk, but this is something they should have talked to you about before writing the prescription(s). It takes awhile for the meds to stabilize (depending upon the particular med, dosage, release type, etc), so hang in there.

I am not a doctor or anything, but if you'd like to talk further, please feel free to PM me. Unfortunately I will be out the rest of the night, but I will be aroud tomorrow afternoon.

Best of luck.

-pedagogue
Old 06-18-2005, 03:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No expectations!

It's pretty common to start lithium with just a one week supply actually and that would be an obvious choice for newly diagnosed bipolar. More later...

Love and hugs,
eddie
Old 06-20-2005, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello everyone

the doctor put her on lorazepam 0.5mg for anxiety
zyprexa 2.5 mg for sleep then effexor 37.5mg for depression bi-polar, she must go to the pharmacy once a week to get one weeks worth.

I hope she can not do herself harm on 7 of these pills the lorazemoam she has 14 she could take them twice a day.

I am really at my wits end, she has been gone all weekend drinking, she did not take her pills with her thank god.

But that still leaves her with no meds. I know it is her choice weather or not she takes them to get better. I want to help but feel my hands are tied.

Any sugestions???????
Old 06-20-2005, 10:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Here is a link to the chatroom schedule! You may want to try one of Friends and Family meetings. I think there's Al-Anon and Nar-Anon. Anything like that should be helpful to you.

((((belkar)))),
If she's not responsible enough to take her meds, then maybe you should tell her she can't stay with you anymore. Sounds like she's totally out of control and my vote is still to see if you can get her hospitalized somehow. I'll keep you all in my prayers!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-20-2005, 04:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all,

Right now I am just trying to get her home. Once here depending on how she is I will take her to the family dr.

I hope that will be enough to get her to the hospital. She is spending her money right now but when that runs out she will be back.

I will try to get her medical attention right away. Thank you for your prayers
Old 06-20-2005, 04:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You're welcome, (((belkar)))! I hope things work out!

Love and hugs,
Eddie