Notices

In need of support

Old 06-15-2005, 04:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy In need of support

so here it is:

I'm on prescription pain killers to help with a progressive chronic illness. I have been taking the average prescribed amount however I have run out of my meds and feel terrible. Can't see adoctor until July. The symptoms I have appear to resemble withdrawl.

When the pain from illness and the pain from withdrawl become one in the same how does one cope. How can I tell one from the other?

I've never felt this horrible before.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What Med.? Sounds like WD'S. It will pass. I was 2.5-3 years on hydrocodone. been clean since last friday @ 4. it is hard. I found the first 100 hours the hardest. Expext little or no sleep at all. But you know what...YOU WILL BE YOU AGAIN. It is a struggle but the reward is WORTH IT. Stay posting we will try and help. I'm only 6 days clean, others here have MUCH longer sobriety. Listen to them. But remember...IT WILL PASS...KEEP TELLING YOURSELF THAT. Force yourself to drink as much water as you can. It helps. I will have you in thoughts. Golf99
Old 06-15-2005, 06:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sylvia

I'm on prescription pain killers to help with a progressive chronic illness.
Addiction is also a chronic and progressive illness.

Sylvia, I don't know about the illness you mentioned, but I would recommend talking to your doctor. Narcotic pain medication can be addictive and will cause withdrawal if you've been on it for a certain amount of time at a certain dose and you suddenly stop taking it. Talk to your doctor.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by sylvia
How can I tell one from the other?
I don't think you really can. The meds you've been taking cause your body to stop making its own painkillers, endorphins, so when you take away the meds, you get a double whammy. The pain from your illness returns AND you have the pain of withdrawal.

If you have a legitimate need for the narcotics and you have been taking them as prescribed, then I would suggest you see a doctor straight away, maybe even through the ER. You needn't suffer the withdrawals if you don't have to, you know? You don't have to wait until July either, hon.

Take care and keep posting!
Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-16-2005, 08:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
"The BAND" workshop ROCKS!

good advice from all. Water always a good healer as is bedrest. I wonder why if you've been taking the prescribed amount you cant go in for more, but maybe clearing out is a good thing for a while. Can you at least call the Dr. and check in with him to make sure it's okay to lay low on meds for a while. None of us are Dr's and hate to give unsound advice. Please check with him, okay?
Old 06-16-2005, 08:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

I don't understand how you ran out if taking them as prescribed? Could there have been an mistake on your refills? Many pharamacy's will refill now after calling the doctor for approval if you've been on them for awhile. You won't have to encur the cost of the doctor visit and they'll be able to refill them until your next appointment. Please call the doctor and check with him or his nurse it can't hurt!
Old 06-18-2005, 06:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
"The BAND" workshop ROCKS!

Remember to check back in with us please after asking for help. We do want to know how you're doing.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was addicted to pain killers and had to detox at home. Like golf said the first couple of days are very rough. Very little sleep, headaches, body aches, and you just feel like crap. Take advil, hot showers or baths, and just relax and hang in there. Drink a lot of fluids 2. It does get better!! If you can't actually see the doctor until July try calling him and maybe him or someone at his office may have some suggestions. Hang in there it will get better! Feel free to PM me.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No expectations!

sylvia??
How are you doing?

Love and hugs,
Eddie