Notices

Please Help

Old 06-10-2005, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please Help

Helllo, I'm new to these forums but I was hoping perhaps someone can help me. My situation is rather complex so I'll just jump right into it. My father passed away a few days ago and my sister and I are very worried about our mom. We fear she's been addicted to prescription meds like vallium, xanax, and oxy for years. Some of these pills are prescribed to her some are pills of my dad's she's taken. On top of this a former friend of her's recently got in touch with my sister and told her the she is known at work as somewhat of a drug dealer and warned us that she thinks our mom has been buying speed from someone at work which would make sense given all of the weight she's lost recently. She also told us that 2 of her "friends" are hovering around her like vultures just waiting for her to get the life insurance money from my dad so they can begin trying to get it from her...this also happened when she got her share of the estate when our grandmother died. We just don't know what to do at this point, we are afraid that she's either going to overdose or blow all of the money she gets from our dad's estate and end up penniless in a matter of years. She's already been committed once before I was born and we've thought about taking steps to have her committed again or put in rehab but we're not sure how to do that or more importantly if it's the right thing to do as she would probably never forgive us. Has anyone out there ever been in a similar situation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-10-2005, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your dad.

I think you might need a lawyer to help you understand what your legal options are. If your mom is not in her right mind it would be a shame to let someone con her out of her money..
Old 06-10-2005, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Finalzero)))) I'm so sorry about the loss of your father and news about your mother. Dependency is something you cannot control.... unfortunately.
I know all too well. My mother died from alcoholism / cirrhosis this past October.
She was my best friend and a wonderful mother. I'm struggling everyday with grief and did ... ALL I COULD DO. I threw liquor away, yelled, screamed, pleaded, went to meetings with her, went to meetings for me (al-anon), prayed, cried and begged some more for her to stop- but it was too late.

I know what you're going through - and it's good that you're starting to search for help now. I talked to my counselor about having my mother committed but in SC. 24 hours is the max- if granted to you by a judge.
I don't really know if my mother wanted rehab again - so it was VERY painful watching the denial take over. I had a wonderful childhood - she didn't start drinking until I was in college.

About your mom.... keep confronting her.... make her know you are there for her and last love her. If she makes bad decisions, then it's her making them and she'll know it.
Unfortunately all you can do is offer her soft place to fall, support and love.

I understand it's hard. (((hugs)))
lovetoall