Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Re-posted this here because i wasn't getting any views/replies in the other area...

Notices

Re-posted this here because i wasn't getting any views/replies in the other area...

Old 06-10-2005, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, earlier this morning i was tidying up my son's bedroom and i came accross a bag with some white powder in it, i am pretty convinced that it's speed/amphetamine/meth because i have looked up the effects and a few nights he has came home acting like that. Is there any way i can test it to make sure that it is that because i don't really want to confront him about it without knowing for sure. Thank you
Old 06-10-2005, 11:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

Hey Rocky,
It could be cocaine. I don't know how you could definitively identify the substance (besides the obvious), but there are some things you can look for in your son. Cocaine causes dilated pupils, restlessness, runny/bloody nose. You might find razors, mirrors, or dollar bills around for snorting.
Hope this helps!!!
Tanya
Old 06-10-2005, 11:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply Faery, but to be honest i don't think my son is able to afford cocaine, well atleast not in the amounts that he has in his room...
Old 06-10-2005, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

I dont know of any "at home" tests for that stuff. If my son was acting strange and I found a little bag with powder in it, I think I would put two and two together. Try having a heart to heart with him and see what he says. Show him what you found and ask. I would probably be very upset, if I found something like that. Just my opinion, thats all. I wish you the best with it.
Bless.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
This catz gone wild!!!

How old is your son, and about how much was in the bag? It could be crushed pills too (adderal or ritalin (adhd meds that act like speed for people without adhd, or oxycodone (an opiate)). He's your son, living under your roof, confront him! He may be upset, but you could be saving him from going down the road to a hard to beat drug addiction. Good luck to you and may God Bless you and help you through.

Luv

Jaz
Old 06-10-2005, 12:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

Rocky,
Erowid.org is a great website for this sort of thing. Lot's of good info about any substance you can think of.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well i weighed the bag, because my son has some digital scales and it came up to 5.2 grams, but that was with the actual bag. My son has only just turned 15, I have known about his cannabis use and I said I was ok with it because there wasn't really much i could do to stop him, just I was worried he would go onto harder drugs, which he said he wouldn't and obviously has. He doesn't seem to be acting like an addict would, my brother in-law was addicted to cocaine and had to go to rehab, now he's clean but I never really found much out about the drug itself, but i'm pretty sure my son wouldn't be able to afford that much cocaine.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

You can lick you finger, touch the powder then taste it. (kinda dangerous if you don't know what it is though, could be pcp and you don't even want a dab of that in your system.) If it is kinda salty, it is speed, if it tastes mediciney and bitter and your tounge gets a little numb, it's coke. Could be anything. Maybe you should just ask your son. COnfront him about it and by all means flush that **** down the toilet. Having it in your house constitutes possesion, and it is your house.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I really don't want to take a risk such as tasting a bit of it, because like you said, it could be anything.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Oh and 5 grams of crystal cost more than 5 grams of coke, unless you cook your own.

Coke is a more expensive habbit b/c you end up doing alot more of it than you'd do if it were crystal. Around here a 1/4 oz (about 7 grams) of coke goes for $190 or so and a 1/4 oz of crank goes for about $450.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well i don't know much about prices but i always thought that cocaine was 'the rich mans drug' and speed/meth was 'poor mans cocaine'
Old 06-10-2005, 01:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Thats true b/c a couple lines of coke and your good for about 20 minutes and 1 line of crystal and your good for a few hours. 5.2 grams of coke might last a night or 2, but 5.2 grams of crystal can be stretched out for a week or more.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

However,

If you are cooking the meth, or are in good with someone that cooks meth, it is rediculosly inexpensive.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've been looking up meth just now, and you mentioned crystal. From what i have found out crystal meth is a different form of speed which looks sort of like glass, but the stuff inside the bag is a white powder.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
It Is What It Is

Originally Posted by rocky4545
Well i weighed the bag, because my son has some digital scales and it came up to 5.2 grams, but that was with the actual bag. My son has only just turned 15, I have known about his cannabis use and I said I was ok with it because there wasn't really much i could do to stop him, just I was worried he would go onto harder drugs, which he said he wouldn't and obviously has.
I started on pot myself at 15, by 19 was a "functional" meth addict (went to work tweaking but slept every week night, partied hard all weekend) and then on to even harder stuff...22 years later, here I am, a recovering addict/alcoholic.

He doesn't seem to be acting like an addict would, my brother in-law was addicted to cocaine and had to go to rehab, now he's clean but I never really found much out about the drug itself, but i'm pretty sure my son wouldn't be able to afford that much cocaine
I don't know if this still happens these days, but there is also the possibility that whatever it is, it isn't even paid for yet. I know that there are people who "front" the stuff to others for them to peddle. My ex used to do that...get a bunch of crap on a "front" and sell it at a high enough price to pay the guy back and cover the cost of what we used ourselves.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

different names for the same thing street speed is crystal methamphetamine, also know as crank. High quality forms of speed look like little peices of glass and it is known as ice or glass. Lower quality or "bathtub crank" as we called it looks like a white or yellowish brownish white powder but under magnification it is still a crystaline structure. It's all speed. Bathtub crank is somewhat cheaper than glass, but gram for gram it is still more expensive than cocaine.

The easyiest way to find out what it is would be to sit down with your son and ask him.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ok well i finally had the courage to taste a bit of it, i took a really small dab, and it tasted sort of bitter, it didn't make my mouth go numb so im guessing its not cocaine?
Old 06-10-2005, 01:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

At least we know it is not artificial sweetener.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

(((Rocky)))

Please talk to your son about what you found and get him into rehab he needs help. He is a minor and you are still responsible for him please get him some help. One parent to another ya know...
Old 06-10-2005, 02:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

My son has only just turned 15, I have known about his cannabis use and I said I was ok with it because there wasn't really much I could do to stop him, just I was worried he would go onto harder drugs, which he said he wouldn't and obviously has.
Trust me on this. For 37 years I used pot as a gateway drug. I have had problems with just about any drug you can name. Pot was the root of it all. I could always quit the "hard drugs" and go back to pot.

Heroin was about the only drug that I never liked. Cocaine, speed, pills, booze were always in and out of my life. Pot was never a "problem". Please get your son help. Confront him, whatever, just get him help. Lock him in a room, turn him in. Do whatever it takes. He may dislike what you do, but at least he will be around to thank you in the end.

I wish I had had someone to confront me before it got out of hand. If it hasn't already. I am sorry to seem harsh, but drug addiction is just that, HARSH.