Notices

Zoloft

Old 06-10-2005, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

Zoloft

can someone give me some advice about Zoloft. I have read some good about it but most is bad enough to scare me and I'm not sure that I want to take it now. Any advice or experience would be great!
kathy
Old 06-10-2005, 10:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

You will hear a lot of horror stories about Zoloft and other SSRI meds. What you don't hear is the stories of people who have been successfully treated for suicidal depression by using these meds. I am one of them.

However, after seven years on Effexor (another SSRI med) I weaned myself off the medication very slowly and I am now managing my depression with daily exercise, high doses of specific vitamins, and careful management of food (no sugar, and no refined grains)

However, the Effexor was a life saver for me back then when I really needed it to keep myself from committing suicide.

My daughter (a recovering alcoholic) is currently on Zoloft and it has lifted her out of a suicidal depression.

My advice would be to only go on the meds if your depression is really serious (if it is life threatening). I would also advise that you read the book "Potatoes not Prozac" by Kathleen Demaison. That is the program of eating and vitamins that I am currently following to manage my depression.

Good luck.

Robin
Old 06-10-2005, 10:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Kathy,

My name is Linda and I have been on Zoloft for some time now... just a bit of back ground... I am a recovering Alcoholic which was diagnosed with PTSD after sept. 11.... (was a survivor on that day).... I have to say that this drug has helped me immensely....It has a anti-anxiety fommula that keeps me calm and also helps with depression... I am grateful for this drug.... my suggestion is always discuss your fears with the dr. prescribing the drug for you.... he/she can help guide you....

best wishes,

Linda
Old 06-10-2005, 02:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Kathy,
The effects that any antidepressant has are going to depend on the person. The only way to know how it's going to affect YOU is trial and error really. If things like your mood, BP, and weight are carefully monitored, it's a very safe drug. I know all about this stuff from experience and education—lots of experience and education! If you have any other concerns or questions, just ask, and if you want to PM me, that's fine, too.

Robin,
I read Potatoes Not Prozac years ago and I just wasn't ready to commit to that program at that time. I would like to hear more about how it has worked for you because I have gained a lot of weight recently and my consumption of sweets is out of control. Is the "detox" phase really bad? Thanks!

My weight gain started taking off when I was taking Zoloft incidentally. So we switched to Cymbalta, but the gaining has continued. It looks like any antidepressant that affects serotonin can do this, although there is plenty of variation among individuals. Some folks actually LOSE weight.

Hope this helps!
Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-12-2005, 03:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My friend took Zoloft and had problems like Insomnia and restlessness. He also lost his temper frequently while on this drug. But overall, the drug proved to be ok for him.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Welcome to SR, tina! Thanks for sharing! Keep it up!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-16-2005, 10:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Kathy,

I have been on zoloft for a few years, very low dosage. but it really has helped me with anxiety and depression. i was on prozac for many years and feel that zoloft has been a much better anti depressant for me. i have never felt severe side effects from the drug, sometime sleeplessness but that is about it.

hope to have helped,
heartinpieces
Old 06-17-2005, 07:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

Thanks for the advice everyone. Haven't started taking them yet, think I'm kinda scared to.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You're welcome, Kathy! Why don't you ask your doctor or pharmacist about starting with a low dose, like 25mg? Then you can slowly taper up. Just an idea. I don't think the side effects are commonly all that bad and apparently you need something. If it's been prescribed, then you probably ought to at least give it a try. Talk to your doc (or pharmacist of course) about your apprehensions, OK? Best wishes!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-20-2005, 10:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hi there. Just wanted to add my 2 cents in. I was on zoloft, and it helped me alot. I did not experience side effects other than some weight gain. I had great luck with it. I thelped both my depression, as well as my anxiety. I suffer MORE from anxiety than from depression, although I do suffer depression also.
I did not have any trouble when I went off it either. Good luck, finding the right meds is such a pain. But when you do it can REALLY help. Love, Becky
Old 06-20-2005, 10:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Body,Mind & Soul in that order

i've had a great results with Zoloft!, I've battled depression, anxiety & addiction for 7 years. Have tried darn near every anti-depressant out there. Pretty much everyone one I know is currently on this med. I've had absolutely no side-effects what so ever.

One good thing about this med, is you notice improvements quickly! I was sooo surprised. It has literally saved my life.

There is no reason to be scared if your doctor has prescibed it & is monitoring you. I wish you hope & happiness in your recovery! I have only wonderful things to say about Zoloft.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No expectations!

What do you think, Kathy?

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-22-2005, 07:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

Eddie, I think it is funny that I have such reservations about taking this pill each day and I never questioned anything any of my "friends" gave me!

So I have another question...my dr asked me if I was depressed and I said I don't know. How can you tell if you are depressed and it's not part of your anxeity?
Old 06-22-2005, 08:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by na4today
Eddie, I think it is funny that I have such reservations about taking this pill each day and I never questioned anything any of my "friends" gave me!
Yeah, it's amazing the things we unthinkingly put in our bodies when we were using and how cautious we become now that we're clean. LOL.

There are specific criteria for depression and various tests available for assessing it. But in a way it's irrelevant because the Zoloft can help with both. Often, though, depression and anxiety go hand in hand and it's very difficult to tease out what's causing what because some of the symptoms are similar. I don't know if that helps any. Have you not had a good diagnostic evaluation yet?

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-23-2005, 11:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
loved & blessed

I was on Zoloft for the first 3 yrs of my recovery. The 1st week, I thought" this stuff sux". It takes a while to kick in. By the 3rd week, I noticed that the world looked a little brighter, literally. Before I got on it, when I looked outside it always looked dark. It was a so slow to change, that it just dawned on me that I was feeling better. I had counseling also. With the two + meetings & staying clean, I was taken off after 3 years. My Dr wasn't sure, but I was sure that I'd be okay. It was 10yrs ago, but I don't recall any side effects. If I gained weight from it I wouldn't be able to tell, cuz I picked up an eating addiction soon after I dropped my drug & alcohol addiction, LOL.

I know a few recovering addicts the it has worked for. We tend to be depressed when the fog clears.
Good luck & ask LOTS of questions.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Quote:
Originally Posted by na4today

eddie z wrote:
"Yeah, it's amazing the things we unthinkingly put in our bodies when we were using and how cautious we become now that we're clean. LOL."

Yeah, when I read that, I laughed out loud-I'm SO freakin scared to try an antidepressant-after some of the things I've done-I never thought of that. That's funny. I guess a person can only take so much trauma though and just REALLY doesn't want anymore.

I just got a prescription today for Zoloft-50 mgs. So I guess we're in this together now
na4today. So bottoms up, I guess! Good luck!
Old 06-23-2005, 12:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Best wishes to you with the Zoloft, dmajor7th!!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-23-2005, 08:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

If I start mine it will be Monday. I made an appointment to see a dr and get an assesment. I never talked to a dr about the way I feel, not really anyway. And I'm so tired of feling the way I do I'm ready to go and fess up.
Eddie, after you asked about an evaluation I thought about it and I made the appointment. So we will see.
dmajor7th...good luck with the Zoloft!
kathy
Old 06-24-2005, 04:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
No expectations!

That's great, Kathy! I wish you the best with it!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-24-2005, 10:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well I took my first pill last night and was sitting there waiting for some horrible thing-a bad headache, to be up all night,e tc. Nothing terrible happened. I slept, mind you I'm still on Xanax and the smallest dose of amitriptyline. But so far, nothing really bad-just the same old can't breathe anxiety that I've been getting worse lately-so I can't blame that on the Zoloft. They say some people get drowsy on and some don't. I think I'm one of the drowsy types. I took it alone before my nightly xanax to try to see what would happen. And it felt a touch of drowsiness-it was't unpleasant. Paxil gave me a drowsiness that was yucky-like I'd been chlorophormed and kidnapped. With all the other antidepressants I tried, I knew within a hour or so if I was going to feel bad. So anyway na4today-so far nothing horrible to report.