Notices

DoTherapistsHaveToReportSuicideThoughts?

Old 06-07-2005, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DoTherapistsHaveToReportSuicideThoughts?

1. If you decide to tell your therapist that you've been having thoughts of suicide are they legally mandated to report that to authorities? It seems as though that would be a negative way to practice because it might cause patients to not report those thoughts.
2. Is there a general rule of thumb for how therapists handle this?

Does anyone know?

Last edited by Chestnut; 06-07-2005 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Left something out of post.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

(((Chestnut)))
Hang on. Someone will be here soon with an answer.
I am a teacher. I know I am required by law to report if I am aware of an intent to harm the self or another. Or if a student is in danger.
I am not sure about the therapist.
But, Chestnut, why WOULDN"T you tell your therapist? Clearly you go to him/her for help. There is nothing worth harming yourself over. You ARE a beautiful child of G*D; you deserve all that is good...
Shalom!
Old 06-07-2005, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

I dont believe so.Maybe you could ask the therapist on this site.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your kind words. I'm not presently considering it, it's just an informational question. But thanks for caring.

The reason I'd think you wouldn't report it to your therapist would be a fear of finding yourself hospitalized against your will.

It seems to be a catch-22 situation. Discussing it with a therapist could definitely be a huge help. But reporting those thoughts, regardless of what your actual committment level to it might be, only to find yourself forced into a hospital could be enough to keep people from ever bringing it up to their therapist.

I understand a teacher having that responsibility with a juvenile (and would demand nothing less), but for an adult, on their own, it seems there might be a little more room for grey area.

Last edited by Chestnut; 06-07-2005 at 06:04 PM. Reason: grammatical errors
Old 06-07-2005, 05:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

I have reported suicidal thoughts with out being forced into the hospital. I am relieved that you say you are not considering it right now.Feeling down in the dump's?
Old 06-07-2005, 06:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, Miraclen2003. I've posted a question to Dr. Mark on his forum. It's more curiosity than anything else. I'm fine.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Chy

Yes, in an informed consent which you should have recieved it's one of those ethic/law things therapists are required to report unless it's an end-of -life decision based on a terminal illness for which there is no cure. Then it depends on each institutions/states ethical codes/laws. At the first session a therapist will usually cover the things they must report as well as discuss some issues they're not equipped to deal with. Once the therpists guidlines have been disclosed to the client, the client is free to continue on with therapy knowing the guidlines the therapist will practice under or terminate the session and future sessions.

Oregon is the only "Die with Dignity" state but not for depressional sucidal ideation.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Chy- Who do they report it to?
Old 06-07-2005, 07:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chy
Yes, in an informed consent which you should have recieved it's one of those ethic/law things therapists are required to report unless it's an end-of -life decision based on a terminal illness for which there is no cure. Then it depends on each institutions/states ethical codes/laws. At the first session a therapist will usually cover the things they must report as well as discuss some issues they're not equipped to deal with. Once the therpists guidlines have been disclosed to the client, the client is free to continue on with therapy knowing the guidlines the therapist will practice under or terminate the session and future sessions.

Oregon is the only "Die with Dignity" state but not for depressional sucidal ideation.
Interesting, Chy. My therapist never gave me any of that info. I've only had two sessions with him but in both he's asked if I'm considering suicide. I've told him no each time but it started me thinking about what he would've done had I said yes.

In all honesty, after reading your posting, I don't think I would tell him if I was thinking about it due to the fear I'd be run off to the rubber room. Which is, unfortunately, exactly what your posting describes. Forgive my question (no insult intended) but are you a medical expert in the field? (I'd hate to see others not discuss suicide thoughts with their therapist based on an incorrect interpretation of this posting.)

If they have to report it I'd hope it's a measured basis. One open to the therapist's assessment.

Your posting makes me cautious about ever bringing it up.

Last edited by Chestnut; 06-07-2005 at 07:49 PM. Reason: clarified point
Old 06-07-2005, 07:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Therapists are required to report if in their clinical judgement you are a threat to yourself or others. A client can have suicidial ideations (suicidal thoughts), though not get reported because they lack the other compontents that would make them a threat to themselves, in the eyes of their therapist. A suicide assessment would be done to see to what extent suicide is a possibility. (The how, when, where, why, etc of it)

Please let your therapist know about your thoughts. They will want to talk about it, but that doesn't mean they will report it. Frequently clients will have thoughts, but that doesn't mean they intend on doing it. Many times it can be an opportunity to talk about the issues that may be causing the thoughts.

Please please please.....let them know.

-pedagogue
Old 06-07-2005, 07:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Chy

It really is a case by case issue. However, as Pedagogue mentioned if a client has expressed suicidal intent and believes based on a thorough assesment the client will carry out the plan to harm him/herself then yes, they must report it.

This is a very controversial issue in the field of therapy and many therapists struggle with it. There is a lot of information on the search engines if you'd like to read more.

Please, please, please discuss it with your therapist if you are having these thoughts. You may be surprised at the help he can offer in working through it.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Chy

Who they report it to varies as well. Usually if the therapist is concerned of immediate plan being carried out to the police, hospital, or other mental health facilities they work with.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks, Pedagogue. That's an insightful and informative posting. It's greatly appreciated and eases my concerns about others reading this thread and getting the wrong idea.

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2005, 07:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks also, Chy. I'm not at a point of concern. It's just fact finding. Thankfully pedagogue's posting answered the question I had. Thanks to all who've posted concerned. I appreciate the thoughts. Please know that I am okay!
Old 06-08-2005, 04:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

If someone is so sick that they are considering suicide should not someone intervien? Especially a therapist? I would think hospitalization would be better than death would it not?
Old 06-08-2005, 12:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think there are differing levels. I don't think everyone who says they're "thinking about it" are on the same line. Some are incredibly likely to do it while others might just be needing a way to talk about their personal issues. If you're a person in therapy (who's not there for suicide issues specifically) and add in a fear of winding up hospitalized against your will for bringing the subject up, I can't see how that would help people do so. In fact, I think it might be quite the opposite. Which could, possibly, cause a lot of pain and the suicide to happen down the road. I agree that everything should be done to help people when they're exhibiting signs of duress serious enough to contemplate suicide, but I also think there should be grey areas with a therapist so the door isn't slammed shut on bringing up the topic.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Chy

I can't agree more!
Old 06-10-2005, 05:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My therapist did threaten to commit me when I allowed her to discover just how depressed I can get. I will probably never talk to her as honestly again.

Just be careful about what you say. Your life can be taken out of your hands if you say the wrong thing to the right person. I don't like giving such negative advice, but this very thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Just be aware.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The other side of the coin is that you need to understand that your therapist is looking out for you. If they can address something earlier in the process.....you can avoid the more serious complications that happen down the road. Sometimes it is hard to see the trees in the forest.

Committing someone is not something that is taken lightly, and it is done to protect the patient from themselves. In some cases....people are committed and they are dead set against it and think they are fine.....but are you willing to risk the alternative just because the patient believes they are 'feeling fine'? It is a fine line to walk...but I'd rather walk it with the therapist.....instead of going at it alone.

-pedagogue