Notices

Topamax for Bi-Polar Disorder?

Old 06-06-2005, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Topamax for Bi-Polar Disorder?

Hey everyone!

I seen my Psych today and she recommended Topamax as a mood stabalizer? Anyone familiar with this drug? I know it is used for Migraines and Seizures? Mood stabilizer?? I'm still on the Geodon 80mg daily..Effexor XR 300mg daily and Zoloft 150mg daily. I know I'm on too much medication....my Psych said that usually patients with Bi-Polar don't need an Anti-depressant unless they are majorly depressed. I'm not majorly depressed i'm just plain irritable and can't control my moods...I'm good when I wake up in am usually around 6:30 am and can be productive and fcn until 3pm then i get all irritable, grouchy..my mood is awful and it interfers with my relationship with my spouse and child. It's all complicated byt he fact that I am pregnant and hormonal..b/c my Psych said we are limited during pregnancy and may have to wait til after birth which could be 6-8 weeks from now. What do I do in the meantime with my unstable moods and the effects on my life? Eddie, if you read this...is it so unsafe to take the Category C meds during the 3rd trimester??? Thanks for listening!
Take care.
Michelle
Old 06-07-2005, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

A lot of anticonvulsants are also used as mood stabilizers and Topamax is one of them. As I understand it, Category C means we just don't know. Is Topamax in that category? Your obstetrician probably knows more than I do on this particular subject or you could ask a pharmacist to look it up for you, too. I don't have any references here at home actually. So the psychiatrist wants you to wait to start the Topamax? Did I understand you right? And you need symptom relief now, huh? Let me do a little research, OK? I'll see what I can find out.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-07-2005, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Your psychiatrist and obstetrician need to put their heads together for you. Older mood stabilizers, lithium, valproate, and carbamazepine CAN be used, but they would have to be carefully managed and monitored. Are you getting plenty of folate, BTW? From what I read, carbamazepine may be your best choice but it needs to be supplemented with Vitamin K. Talk more with both docs about these options. We just don't know enough about the newer drugs such as Topamax and we have lots of data on these older ones. Keep in touch, Michelle!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-19-2005, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you want to read a site created by someone who is bi polar and is on Topomax and gives information about just about every psych drug there is, check this out
http://www.crazymeds.org/ This guy has been through the whole trying every med thing and has excellent links and resources as well.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Stopping the tornado

dmajor7th,
Thanks so much for that site, there really is alot of great information on it.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You're very welcome Greatful2004. I've put a link to it on a few places. I've just discovered it and think it's very good as it is based on personal experience as well as research and it's funny too. It's probably the best one I've found.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Michelle,
How are you? What did you and doc decide on? Please check in here, OK?

Love and hugs,
Eddie

P.S. When are you due?