Just found out today

Old 06-02-2005, 11:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Yeah Yeah it's me again

Unhappy Just found out today

I just found out today that I am a ACA. I am 28 and this all comes as such a shock to me. My therapist wants me to attend an Ali-non meeting. Im not sure that is a step I am ready for. From the time I was 10 to 21 my mother was infact an alcholic. We dont talk about it becuase she beats her self up with the I could have been a better mom, I was ahorrible person raising you. And I tell in her in turn, you were the best mom you knew how to be with what you had to work with. I was the chld that walked on pins and needles. I never did anything wrong in her household. If she wanted me home by 9 I was there at 830. On my 15th birthday I spent cleaning up her puke. I never complained. I never realized it would effect me, now it has and now Im scared. How do I call the only woman in my life who I would die for other hten my daughter and tell her because she was an alholic I am suppering now. I have to go through rehabilitation of myself. I cant do that and I wont. Im scrared im confused and all I have done is cried. My husband is being help ful, but he doesnt understand he came from the brady bunch type family. I came from the dysfunctional family on wellfair!!
Old 06-02-2005, 11:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Yeah Yeah it's me again

RWE What lies deefire us and behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies withn u

Originally Posted by mamasgirl1
I just found out today that I am a ACA. I am 28 and this all comes as such a shock to me. My therapist wants me to attend an Ali-non meeting. Im not sure that is a step I am ready for. From the time I was 10 to 21 my mother was infact an alcholic. We dont talk about it becuase she beats her self up with the I could have been a better mom, I was ahorrible person raising you. And I tell in her in turn, you were the best mom you knew how to be with what you had to work with. I was the chld that walked on pins and needles. I never did anything wrong in her household. If she wanted me home by 9 I was there at 830. On my 15th birthday I spent cleaning up her puke. I never complained. I never realized it would effect me, now it has and now Im scared. How do I call the only woman in my life who I would die for other hten my daughter and tell her because she was an alholic I am suppering now. I have to go through rehabilitation of myself. I cant do that and I wont. Im scrared im confused and all I have done is cried. My husband is being help ful, but he doesnt understand he came from the brady bunch type family. I came from the dysfunctional family on wellfair!!
RWE What lies deefire us and behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us
Old 06-03-2005, 04:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Welcome!

You don't have to call her anything. I can see how it may seem disloyal but what you do to better yourself is a private thing.

The first step is about admitting powerlessness over alcohol and acknowledging that your life has become unmanangable. Your mother's name is no where in that sentence.

I was stunned too when I realized that I had been affected by the alcoholism in my family. I have said many times that I thought I was the one who made it out normal. By not address what I should have early in my life it only came back to bute me much later. The dysfunction does not go away...it continues to grow as our live's become more complex.

You don't have to go to Al Anon...there are a lot of ways to heal...but for me it worked. It gave me a support system filled with people who had been where I had been and guidelines to live a peaceful life. What have you got to lose by trying what your therapist suggested? You can always stop going at any point.

Hugs,
JT