Notices

Desperate for Sleep - please help!

Old 05-31-2005, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Desperate for Sleep - please help!

My husband has been sober for almost 6 months and is having serious problems with insomnia. Does anyone have any suggestions for sleep? He's tried almost everything. He's been to his doctor a number of times (she knows he is in recovery) and has put him non-addictive sleeping pills. The doctor has tried 2 or 3 different kinds and none of them seem to work - IF he falls asleep, he wakes up 2 or 3 hours later and then is up for 2 or 3 hours and repeats the cycle. This Saturday, he is having a sleep study done by his doctor. Last night he had a rough night and is exhausted today, but can't sleep. If anyone has been through this as part of his/her recovery and has any suggestions, we'd more than appreciate them!!! Thank you!
Old 05-31-2005, 08:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

well, what i did
was make a lot of meetings
and walked a lot
from 6am to 10pm
did service, set up 2 -3 times a day
of course, i wasn't working
but
that will cure insomnia
then i started gym 2 - 3 times a week
started very slow
then in 2 hours
treadmill, bike, stairmaste, etc
off went 1500 calories
slept real good after that
Old 05-31-2005, 09:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Veronica
My husband has been sober for almost 6 months and is having serious problems with insomnia. Does anyone have any suggestions for sleep? He's tried almost everything. He's been to his doctor a number of times (she knows he is in recovery) and has put him non-addictive sleeping pills. The doctor has tried 2 or 3 different kinds and none of them seem to work - IF he falls asleep, he wakes up 2 or 3 hours later and then is up for 2 or 3 hours and repeats the cycle. This Saturday, he is having a sleep study done by his doctor. Last night he had a rough night and is exhausted today, but can't sleep. If anyone has been through this as part of his/her recovery and has any suggestions, we'd more than appreciate them!!! Thank you!
The only thing that helps me immensley with insomnia is reading lots before I go to sleep.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No afternoon naps
No caffeine
Some exercise that gets you out of breath for a few minutes, a short fast run is fine. (apparently this will metabolise stress hormones out of the system, but don't hold me to it).
No reading anything before bed that will stimulate the debating society in my head.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

I struggled with sleep problems the first 6-9 months. I found excercise lots of it to help me immensly. Though I have a hard time avoiding those afternoon naps it's a necessity as I still only manage about 6 hours a night, on a good week. No caffeine to after 4pm for me. It is a struggle, it is exhausting, I hope the sleep study will provide him some answers towards a solution.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Exercise will do it everytime!
there are also sedative like teas I like to drink.. use two bags, exercise like crazy and he'll sleep like a baby. No Nappypoos either!
Old 05-31-2005, 05:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Try God!

Tell him to work the steps. It is the only thing that will bring a peace that surpasses human understanding. Trust me....been there....done that.

Here are some of the methods we have tried: reading inspirational books, going to health farms and sanitariums, taking more physical exercise...we could increase the list adinfinitum.

How old is your husband? Before you tell him to exercise, be sure that he sees his doctor FIRST. Strenuous exercise could kill him!

Wilky
Old 06-01-2005, 12:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Right on Wilky!
4th & 5th Step followed by a few more made sleeping much easier.
A good reminder for me that its late and time for 10 (maybe a bit late LOL) & 11 before bed.

((((((((((Veronica & Husband)))))))))
your in my thoughts and prayers,

3 Legacy
Old 06-01-2005, 01:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wilky
Try God!

Tell him to work the steps. It is the only thing that will bring a peace that surpasses human understanding. Trust me....been there....done that.

Here are some of the methods we have tried: reading inspirational books, going to health farms and sanitariums, taking more physical exercise...we could increase the list adinfinitum.

How old is your husband? Before you tell him to exercise, be sure that he sees his doctor FIRST. Strenuous exercise could kill him!

Wilky
ha ha ha

next you'll be prescibing a meeting for gangerine!

okay okay I guess it does make some sense. I find when I have peace of mind I get excited and then sleep is even harder because I lay there pitcturing how great my life is/is going to be.

(whisper: masturbation helps )
Old 06-01-2005, 07:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the suggestions!! I will pass them on to my husband. Last night out of sheer exhaustion (3 days of virtually no sleep), he slept for most of the night - only briefly waking at 1am and again at 5am. He is working the steps and as far as I know he has not yet gotten to 4 and 5.

Millwillj - I do NOT think masterbation is going to help my husband's insomnia. That seems like a really inappropriate comment.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the suggestions!! I will pass them on to my husband. Last night out of sheer exhaustion (3 days of virtually no sleep), he slept for most of the night - only briefly waking at 1am and again at 5am. He is working the steps and as far as I know he has not yet gotten to 4 and 5.

Millwillj - I do NOT think masterbation is going to help my husband's insomnia. That seems like a really inappropriate comment.
(((((((((Veronica)))))))))))

How are you personally today and how have you been sleeping?
Old 06-01-2005, 07:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am sorry Veronica - slightly inappropriate.

Except my apologise.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

3leg - I'm doing really well. Thanks for asking!! I didn't make it to the gym this morning (bed was too cozy). I know I won't have time to go tonight, so I am annoyed with myself for not getting up - exercising seems to make my days go so much better! My slumber is generally very good. Unfortunately, I am a light sleeper, so I wake up anywhere from 2 to 20 times a night (though, unlike my H, I can just roll over and go back to sleep). Last night was only about 4 times, but for some reason, I feel particularly tired today.

MW - apology accepted. Thank you! =)
Old 06-01-2005, 08:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

((((((((Veronica)))))))))))
We all deserve a day to sleep in. Now that your up, make the best of it.

A friend just called who is celebrating 25 years of Sobriety today. He seems to always have a rough time around his Birthday. This past year has been very rough on this oldtimer with a couple surgeries and so much more having taken place in his life. He's called me in the middle of the night many times the past couple months with insomnia. There is hope! Sounds like he slept real well last night. Need to return that call then get out and breath some fresh air as "virtual" air can be somewhat limiting at times. I accept that sometimes there are exceptions.

Kiss Heart of Spirit
In Love & Service,

3 Legacy
Old 06-01-2005, 09:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

For me....

Exercise helps, but not too late in the day. I do my running and biking in the morning, swimming 2-3 nights a week, but I'm done by 7PM. You don't want your HR up too close to bed time.

I take Melatonin supplements -- I use REM Caps from e-caps.com. I take 2 an hour before bedtime and they seem to help, but give me some whacky dreams at times...

Diet -- I try to follow a "Zone" type diet -- 40% Carbs, 30% Protein, 30% Fat. I find that when I eat too much sugar, my body is out of whack...

Prayer and Acceptance. Sometimes when the body doesn't want to shut down, I've got to accept that as God's will...

Hope he finds some good sleep soon! I struggle with this as well, and we are also buying a new (and good ) mattress -- soon I hope!

Ken
Old 06-01-2005, 11:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Card Carrying Optimist

can't sleep

Veronica Hi!

Pearl here, Ive always suffered from insomnia as does my husband who has classic OCD. I am in early sobriety. Some things that have helped me were as my therapist suggested, evaluate my 'sleep hygiene'.

Establish a night-time ritual for rest and relaxation.

try to limit stimulants, high sugar snacks and caffeine

try to avoid intellectual input that may be distressing, ie. the news, troubling articles in the paper

establish a set time to go to bed and a set time to get up

sleepy time teas, chamomile is great, watch for others that contain caffeine (green tea is one to avoid at night)

many people utilize night-time to think or problem solve, it's usually more quiet...have him try writing issues or problems to be solved down in a journal kept at the bedside, it will be there in the morning, a more appropriate time to 'work on things'.

soft music, aroma therapy, meditation

fresh sheets, good pilows, a good mattress

a good diet and excercise

snuggling

Hope you find this helpful
Love Pearl