My journey

Old 05-15-2005, 01:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My journey

I posted this on the General Recovery forum, but I wanted to share it with my "home group" too.

I want to share some of my recovery journey with you all (with the help of Dangerous Dan - thank you!).

I first joined SR a year ago yesterday. The changes in my life have been taking place at whirlwind pace and I am loving (almost!) every minute of them. Alongside SR, al-anon and counselling, an important part of my healing has taken place on my family's boat. My Dad bought her a year ago near where I was living at the time. She was in need of some work, but it was really only cosmetic improvements and a few technical upgrades needed here and there.

When I needed somewhere for peace and quiet when things got to fraught with my ex A, I could go and spend a few hours sanding woodwork or polishing metal. I spent many weekends bonding with my family whilst working on her. And at last she is in her new home port. A few weeks ago we sailed her from Harwich on the east coast of England, to Plymouth in the south west. Then last week, Mum, Dad and I sailed from Plymouth to Holyhead in north Wales. She looked after us beautifully, especially when we had 2 days and 2 nights solid at sea. So she is home now, just like I am now that I've moved back to Yorkshire.

After some intensive work, we are both now ready for the next part of our journey.

Old 05-15-2005, 02:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

wow minnie - great pics!
Old 05-15-2005, 04:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A beautiful journey ... and beautiful pics...I look at them and hear Van Morrison in my head...

We were born before the wind
Also younger than the sun
Ere the bonnie boat was won as we sailed into the mystic
Hark, now hear the sailors cry
Smell the sea and feel the sky
Let your soul and spirit fly into the mystic.......
Old 05-15-2005, 05:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome pictures.....what a great inspiration! Keep up the good times.....and stay with us here when you can.
Best to you!
Old 05-15-2005, 06:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A beautiful boat!!! and A Beautiful journey!!! All your hard work paid off.

Thank you for sharing
Old 05-15-2005, 08:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Minnie -

I'm so happy for you. Even before this post I could tell that "she" was part of your recovery. You have done a good job of taking care of yourself. I have always enjoyed and appreciated your honesty and no nonsense comments. Bless you, Minnie, as you continue your journey - hopefully, taking us along with you.

Hugs, Jo
Old 05-15-2005, 08:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I think "she's" beautiful, Minnie, and so are you.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wooohooo what a way to recover!.... I want a ride toooo

Im glad that you have come so far... I hope in 6 more months I will be where you are.

ON A BEAUTIFUL BOAT... ha ha ... just kidding.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

NICE! It looks like quite a journey...
Old 05-16-2005, 01:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.

When I wrote this last night, I was struck by the fact that both the boat and I had started out a year ago in a bit of a sorry state. The basic structure was there but we weren't fulfilling our true potential. For both of us, there will always be maintenance to be done, and sometimes a major upgrade, however the groundwork has been achieved. I know this all sounds a bit odd, but I was so struck by the parallels.

I love being out on the water, particularly on long passages. I get time to think, without distractions. My cell phone doesn't work, so I don't get interrupted. I get to spend focussed time with my family and friends. I can catch up on my sleep. And the sense of achievement is enormous. The last leg of the trip took 45 hours with just me, mum and dad on board. When I opened up my Courage to Change, I realised I was using the Just for Today card as a marker. I read out "I can do something for twelve hours that would appal me if I felt I had to keep it up for a lifetime". I think that helped us all!!

Thanks for being here to share this with. I'm not going anywhere - SR is part of my maintenance.

Love you all

Minnie
xxx
Old 05-16-2005, 01:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It is a lovely story. The boat looks so beautiful, sailing must be amazing!!

I hope this is the first of many journeys for you together.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Survivor

That is so beautiful Minnie, thank you for sharing.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That boat is amazing, what at adventure, I could just feel the happiness, and fullfillment you seem to have by reading your post, I am so happy for you.