Notices

Anyone know info about this situation?

Old 05-14-2005, 03:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone know info about this situation?

Hi, I'm new here but I wanted to know if anyone else has been through or has information on a certain situation that I have.

I have a lot of mental illnesses but among them are severe social phobia and agoraphobia. It is bad to the point that in social situations or around other people or places I don't feel safe, I am prone to vomiting and fainting and basically just totally losing the plot, crying hysterically, sometimes maniacal laughing fits, saying things that make no sense, and what not.

I have been in rehab before, but I was kicked out due to not stopping drinking at night (I would tell them up front, they never had to test me) and that I could not agree to going in-patient on their terms and they couldn't really set anything up for me to go in on my terms. See, with social phobia and agoraphobia, there are things that are security blankets, or make me feel safe. I must have these things or I will snap, so to speak. They said they had never dealt with anyone like me before, quite so severe.

I really do want help, I know that I also need intense therapy while getting clean as quitting will force me to deal with my past and my issues. Rehab didn't have that. I only spoke to a psychiatrist briefly once the whole time I was there (2 weeks). Most things were group activities and I can't even begin to express the trauma and turmoil I went through there trying to deal with the group classes and being expected (and sometimes commanded) to participate.

Is there any help out there for people like me? What can I do? I have thought maybe I need to admit myself to a psyche ward maybe, as they will understand my illnesses and help me with them, and perhaps at the same time they can help with the drug and alcohol issues? I am not sure. I am just rambling on now. I don't know much about what options are out there for nutjobs like me.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can go to a free health clinic and they can help you with mental help problems too, I think. Or perhaps check yourself into a psych ward voluntary. I dunno, good luck tho *hugs*
Old 05-14-2005, 05:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hoping For A Miracle

Don't call yourself a nutjob..you are sick..not a nutjob.

I would suggest what BSPGirl said...try a free clinic or a psych ward. If you really want help you have to try to cooperate with them and really let them help you.

Good luck. *HUGS*
Old 05-14-2005, 05:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I also am from Kansas City,and I found info for you.Im not sure what you have tried or not tried.Hope they are helpful.

Tri-County Mental Health Services, 3100 NE 83rd St., Suite 1001, Kansas City, MO 64119-9998
Telephone: (816) 468-0400 Fax: (816) 468-6635
Contact Us Online
24-Hour Emergency Service Crisis Line 1-888-279-8188

http://www.kctv.com/Global/category.asp?C=20042
Old 05-14-2005, 05:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I believe there are many people out there with problems like yours. On this board there is a forum for Mental Heqalth as well as one for Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, both of which have posts that you might find helpful. I hope you keep posting here and visitng. There's lots of support at SR.

Anna
Old 05-18-2005, 04:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Stark Raving Sober

Hello Shattered,

I can identify strongly with your fears of people. People like us are usually talented individuals with tremendous mental energy. You like to play piano & guitar, as I also do; that shows intelligence and talent.

I did something a bit different to fight my fears. I became involved with theatre for most of my life. I had no problem getting up on stage in front of 100's of people to perform a play but found it hard to talk to anyone 1 on 1 after the show. People are just so scary and unpredictable!

All in all though, everything about me improved whenever I gave up the crutch of drinking/using. Maybe not right away but, AA has taught me how to get along in a world I can never understand. I am still baffled at people and their behaviour. But maybe if everyone was like me life would be boring!

Please remember this: Galileo was almost killed for daring to think the earth orbited the sun, Van Gogh cut off his ear for his passion and his work not appreciated till it was too late for any more of his work to be created and, Columbus was ostracized for thinking the earth might be round. Most thought them all to be crazy. If we think we're crazy, we're sometimes in good company.

Please write more!

Ron

Last edited by hopeitsover; 05-18-2005 at 05:42 PM. Reason: fact correction