Notices

Update on my trip

Old 05-12-2005, 07:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update on my trip

I went out of town to visit my sister this past weekend. My mother, grandmother, and husband and I all went. My mother is an active alcoholic, though she completely denies she has a problem. So I knew this could be a sticky situation. My mom claims she's so proud of me and supports me 100%, but her disease made her unable to take my own recovery into consideration. She drank like a fish. My sister caught her pounding back bottles of wine in her bedroom. At least she didn't carry the bottle around the house with her, where I could see it. But there were two large bottles of wine chilling in her fridge. My sister was angry at my mother for getting drunk all weekend and couldn't understand why mom could be so selfish. Sadly, I know why.
The good news is, I found the strength within to resist drinking. This was the biggest test I've had so far in my 3-plus months of sobriety. I felt like I was going to lose it a few times. But then I looked at how sad and pathetic my mother looked/acted and it reaffirmed my commitment to stay sober. I don't want to return to that behavior. I tried to read a little bit of the Big Book to her, but the first words out of her mouth were, "I'm not that bad!" Pftt! I guess all I can do is pray for her. I can't save the world. It's out of my control.
Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know I survived and am still on the "road of Happy Destiny."
Old 05-12-2005, 07:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your weekend with us, Lilalkie! It sounds like you made a great decision not to drink and held to your guns. And I'm proud of you for realizing you can't change your mom...she has to want it herself first.

Renee
Old 05-12-2005, 09:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Wow great job!!!! Sounds like you handled the situation wonderfully!!!! You are truly on your way!! You should be so proud of yoourself!! The way you handled your family sounded like you could not have handled it any better. Nice that you understand your mom, great that you don't dislike her.. We know what she is going through. Maybe someday she will come around too. But only when she is ready. I think you really deserve a pat on the back. Love, Becky
Old 05-12-2005, 10:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good gor you!
Old 05-13-2005, 08:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

I have family that drinks all the time. When I see them I take a good look at their life, can after can after can, complaining about all the money they don't have for the bills, can after can, can't buy food, can after can.
They don't have anything to survive with because they are living paycheck to paycheck. But they are NEVER out of the beer.
It's so sad. I'm glad you chose not to drink.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paige

That is awesome! I still find it so difficult to be around the people who drink heavily! Especially if it is your own family. I also have that situation, and it is really challenging. Especially with me NOT drinking...drives them crazy! It is really sad, but it makes me appreciate my sobriety even more! Good for you. Keep up the great path!