reaction to stress....

Old 04-29-2005, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To Life!

reaction to stress....

Mark;
I am wondering something else now...
When one is under a great deal of stress, is it normal to have overly sensitive feelings?
I have a heroin addicted son, (only child), in prison. Again.
There was an imposed no contact order placed upon me and my son, because he broke into my house when I was on vacation. They are claiming it to be a "domestic violence" crime - a violent crime!
I went to court; spoke to the judge and told him I don't need nor do I want this no contact order. He refused to lift it. Now I have to fight it. (It is truely bogus.)
I am taking two required college classes for my renewal of my teaching certification.
I work full time teaching in an inner city school.
I've recently had a harrowing experience with a gun threat.
Today, another problem arose with a brawl, a knife, some brass knuckles; in the news....
(not to mention hormonal issues! Had that thyroid test yesterday and awaiting the results...)

Anyway, I've noticed I'm rather sensitive. About things said; and things not said. Easy to tear. Easy to get angry. (I calm down quickly. I quickly recognize that it's not the "thing" I'm angry at.) Not really like me. But, I was crying alot after the gun threat. And much more...
I don't think I'm "crazy." Just wondering if hypersensitivity is a normal reaction to stress....

Thanks again.
BTW, My self imposed "assignment" this week is to read your book. I've started it already.
Thanks again, Mark...
Shalom!
Old 04-30-2005, 10:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is normal to be more sensative when you have aggrevating stressors in our life. You have a lot going on with your life and you need to roll with the punches until it calms down. It is important that you recognized these feelings/emotions, and now you need to develop coping methods to deal with these feelings/emotions. I've found that some of the simplist methods are the most effective.

1. "Time Outs". Sometimes it is best to remove yourself from the situation.
2. Progressive muscle relaxation: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/har/les1.htm *

I gotta run, but that will get you started.

Mark can speak better to some of the specifics in his book that may be helpful for you.

-pedagogue

*I suggest tensing for 5 seconds, and relaxing for 10 seconds....but it is more of a personal choice. You'll see what I mean when you read the web page.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Thanks, Ped,
I sent you a PM.
Shalom!
Old 04-30-2005, 02:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, a gun threat... i can't see anything hypersensitive about your reactions, they seem entirely legitimate to me... and i'm not the expert, but it actually seems healthy to be upset over this stuff. If you weren't, then maybe you weren't in touch with how you are really feeling.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Addiction Expert

I also can't see anything hypersensitive to gun threats or judges not listening to you or 2 graduate classes to keep your recertification. You've got alot going on. You're overwhelmed. What you're calling hypersensitivity is normal reaction to trauma and will pass.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Life!

Thanks again, Mark...
Whew! I do feel better hearing that... And you're right. I am overwhelmed right now. There's only about 3-4 more weeks for the class. I'll hang on till it's over. Guess the best thing right now is to remember that this, too, will pass!
Once again, I appreciate your assurances.
Shalom!