Notices

New to recovery///Questions

Old 04-04-2005, 08:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to recovery///Questions

I have been sober almost 12 days now. I have been to
3 meetings...I have been out of the treatment center for
3 days. I have gone to the same AA group & no luck with sponsors. I guess I should try another AA group. I just thought I would have a sponsor by now & am kind of disappointed. How long does it normally take to find even a temporary sponsor? People give me their phone numbers, but I am not sure what to do with them. Any suggestions???
Old 04-04-2005, 09:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((((((Kelli/Michelle)))))))))
Glad you found us. Congrats on 12 Days and being free.

I found a sponsor almost as soon as I started asking at the meetings I was attending.

Suggestion from me would be start calling all the ladies on the phone list you have. I would ask each one if they are willing to walk "with" you into the Program as laid out in the Big Book. I would also ask them if they participate in a Home Group.

Good Luck and God bless
Old 04-04-2005, 09:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful For His Love...

Use yhr phone numbers to call and talk and ask questions about recovery or if you feel like drinking ,use the phone. or go to a meeting. a temporary sponsor is good for now, but you need someone who has a signicant amount of time being sober for a sponsor, maybe there are lots of newcomers at that meeting. share about this in a meeting. For now keep posting on this forum and read step 1 in your big book, alcoholics anonymous. For me step one is very important... it means I admitted I need help and my life is unmanageable. It means getting honest with myself and others. It is the only step you have to get 100%. write about how your drinking affected your life. congratulations on 12 days sober. we do recover, stick around and find a new way of life.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great questions. Hope I can help.

First of all remember that not everyone who goes to AA meetings are sponsors. Many never get into sponsorship at all. Therefore, you will have to observe the group for a short while. Look for the one that is happy, joyous, and free. Listen to what they when they share. Is it real or is it BS? You know. Rely on your intuition, not your mind. Your heart will guide you. Learn to listen to God within you. He will guide you to the right sponsor.

Of course, many are HERE for you to contact! You are not alone.

Wilky
Old 04-04-2005, 09:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

So long as you keep looking when the right was in in front of you, you'll know it.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

Hi Kelli/Michelle,
Gratefully, I've been blessed to have just celebrated 14 years of sobriety.

For the phone numbers, call them.

For the sponsor, get the brochure "Questions on sponsorship"; bring up the topic at tables; check out different meetings. Call some of the numbers and get rides to meetings and get to know them. Go out for coffee after the meeting with the ladies.

I have 2 sponsors. Both of them are very strong, independent women with 18 years sober (each). They both got sober together and had the same (first) sponsor. Make sure your sponsor-to-be knows the Big Book and the 12&12. Many say that a person can sponsor someone else when they have a year sober; I disagree (personally). The first year is what they call, a gift. After that the work kicks in...I would look more for someone with at least 5 years sober (unless a person with less time has super-high quality sobriety).

Congratulations on your 12 (probably 13 now!!) days sober. Keep coming back, keep going to meetings. One day at a time, that's all we have.

God bless,
Jen
Old 04-05-2005, 01:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kelli/michelle
I have been sober almost 12 days now. I have been to
3 meetings...I have been out of the treatment center for
3 days. I have gone to the same AA group & no luck with sponsors. I guess I should try another AA group. I just thought I would have a sponsor by now & am kind of disappointed. How long does it normally take to find even a temporary sponsor? People give me their phone numbers, but I am not sure what to do with them. Any suggestions???

give them a call..tell them exactly what you just posted
Old 04-05-2005, 05:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks to all. I am trying a new closed womens meeting today. Perhaps this will be the day my HP decides to send me a sponsor.
And I will keep coming back. What a great place with such wonderful stories & support.
Thanks,
Kelli
Old 04-05-2005, 02:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

hi Kelli
I can totally relate to you - I have heard differing views : 1) don't rush getting a sponsor, and once you get a sponsor don't rush the steps; and 2) get a sponsor ASAP it's absolutely critical.

You know what I did (after 3 months in AA) and now I have a sponsor (YAY!) at the meeting when it was time to share I said, quite simply " I really need a sponsor" and straight after the meeting a lovely man came up to me (no, guys, it's not what you are thinking lol!) and said I know of JUST the lady. And he told me which home group she belonged to which is now my homegroup (kind of the anchor group you always go to) and we are meeting on thursday to start the steps!

I personally found that easier than phoning people who are aforementioned might not be sponsors at all, or at that stage or whatever.

Good luck!
cathy31
x
Old 04-05-2005, 02:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks so much!