Notices

The two most important lessons in life

Old 03-29-2005, 08:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The two most important lessons in life

The two most important lessons of life

1) "It" is not personal. Millions of things happen in the world --- but they are not directed at us. They just happened. So things happen but they are not personal. Events are just events. They would have happened if we were not there, even if we had not been born. Lots of trees fall in the woods but we don't even realize it happened because we were not there. But let one tree fall when we are walking through the woods and we tend to think that it "happened to us," or that God has it in for us. The tree may have almost have hit us when it fell, but it would have fallen even if we were not there. It is all in the way we perceive the happenings.

2) Everyone is doing the best they can.

When we come to see this eternal truth we will be free of our compulsive need to judge, criticize and compare. Psychologist have long known that all people act in what they believe to be their own self interest. They use what they have to fill their own needs, just as we use what we have to fill our needs. When we realize that they are just acting in their own interest and not acting against our interest, then we can be emotionally sober and spiritually free
Old 03-29-2005, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

emotionally sober and spiritually free
Great post Steph.

There have been times in the years I have been blessed to be sober that I have been emotionally sober and spiritually free, and there are times that I haven't. Times that I have just not been using. And what a difference just putting a little work into my program makes.

And yes, learning it is not all about me, not personal is huge to my spirituality, it really is.

I still work on understanding that everyone is doing their best, even that I am doing my best sometimes, because sometimes I know I am not.

Progress, right?