Notices

Hi Margo

Old 03-14-2005, 06:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doug

Hi Margo

You moved! Here we are working in the same building and I didn't even notice your new office. I see it's non smoking too, I won't hang around too long then.

Good job on your quitting, thats impressive. I have this "fear" of sorts of letting it go which for now is bigger than my desire to quit.

But if you ever want a "whiff" of smoke to remind you why your quitting, come over to one of my rooms, they are very much smoking permitted.

Can you smell me now?......Good!

Old 03-14-2005, 06:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Heya Margo,
I hang around in Doug's rooms, for the obvious reason.
But I jump in here from time to time to encourage the people with more guts than me.
Keep up the good work my friend.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

LMAO Doug!!!

Well, hello you two, and thanks for stopping by. It's a little slow in here, but you're welcome to pop in for a breath of fresh air anytime you like!

Thanks also for your encouragement. It's a crazy thing, ya know? I struggled and struggled with my ciggie addiction for a long, long time, afraid to let it go. I didn't know how to live without them (you know what I mean). My fear of letting go was finally eclipsed by the fear of keeping on - just like my other addictions. Tried controlling the intake and it worked for a while, but it was getting off the leash again. It was just time to do it, it's as simple as that. It only took 30 some years to get there.

Loves ya both!
Old 03-15-2005, 02:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Doug

Last time I tried to quit, I had much more trouble with the habits of my hands, and timing of when I smoked, than I did with the nicotine withdrawl.

I wasn't expecting or ready for that so I had no plan for it. No hard candy, rubber bans, etc...

Maybe next time.

Old 03-15-2005, 03:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm really really proud of you, Margo. Inspired and proud. I'm giving serious thought to trying this. Thoughts won't do it for me, but it may get me on the right path sooner or later...I'm hoping sooner.

Hugs
Ann
Old 03-15-2005, 07:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One thing that helped me get started on the road to quitting was to smoke outside only, but that only happened once there was a newborn in the house. I was a selfish smoker and my grandson was the only person I could put before my habit. Prior to that I would smoke even in nonsmokers homes (if I could get away with it) and sulk and not enjoy myself when I couldn't. When I started smoking outside my consumption went from 2+ packs a day to about 3/4 of a pack, but only when I was in the house. When I got in my car or in other environments it was right back to the usual intake. Once I had my intake cut down some I started tracking when I lit up and discovered that feeling bored was my biggest trigger. Identifying triggers can be really helpful because then you can think about ways you might deal with them.

I know what you mean about the hands thing, Doug. I bought myself one of those hand-held stress balls and it helps.

Like most smokers, this is not the first time I've tried to quit. It can often take many tries. I don't think about tomorrow, or next week, this situation or that one. Just for today, I'm a nonsmoker.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann
Thoughts won't do it for me, but it may get me on the right path sooner or later...I'm hoping sooner.
Hi Ann! I just wanted to add that thoughts will do it for you. I don't think many of us just wake up one day and decide to quit. Thinking about it is very important and the first step in the right direction, so don't underestimate that. Thinking is good for you!