An Update from Me - off topic

Old 08-24-2002, 06:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

An Update from Me - off topic

Hello everyone.

Just figured I'd give a little update since I've been a little invisible lately and will probably continue to be so.

My nephew and his girlfriend who are in their early twenties have 3 children with one on the way and they just found out the baby may have downs. Well, they can't take care of the 3 that they have but that is a whole other story. Anyway, they just got a notice that they are getting evicted from their apartment for violating their lease (they were only allowed 2 children in the apartment, how the apartment didn't know about the baby who is a year old is beyond me).

So they have no place to go and she was looking into foster care but is afraid that she would never get them back (not sure why she thinks that). So, I am taking the oldest girl who is 6 for a month or so, so she can go to school and be with someone she knows. I am excited and a bit scared about the whole thing but I can't see them living in a shelter or the van or whatever. My nephews father and his wife (who isn't my sister) is taking the 5 year old. My nephew will stay with my sister and his girlfriend and the baby will be with her mother until they find a place to stay where they all can be. Sounds like a big soap opera now that I am typing it out.

Anyway, I am setting up the bedroom with barbie sheets!! And giving her a place she can feel safe in. Please say a little prayer this all works out for all of us.

I will be popping in now and then but you probably won't see me too much since I have a feeling I am going to be really busy...

Take care.
Many hugs.
Love,
Debbie
Old 08-24-2002, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Hi Barbiedeb

How lucky this little girl is to have you, and I'm sure she will love this little vacation with a "Great" great-aunt and won't she have fun with your Barbie dolls. Six is such a cute age, and I'm sure you will both be even closer after this special time together.

But don't forget to keep taking some time just for you too. You will be busy and have your hands full for a while, and you may need this "you" time more than ever.

It sounds like the whole family is ready to pitch in and help out here, and my prayers are with you all. Good luck and God bless all of you.
Old 08-24-2002, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hi Ann

Thanks for the encouragement. I won't forget about me, I actually think she will be good for me She really is a cutie but I've been warned she is a "Chatty Cathy".

The reason I will probably be away from the computer is because the room with the single bed where she will sleep, houses this computer montrosity of mine and the house is so small, there is no where else to put the computer. I talked to her mother last night and she said she amuses herself easily, so I think I will be able to get a little quiet time in for me.

I feel so bad for all them because it is going to be hard (I would think) to have the whole family separated like that.

I think this is going to be a great learning experience for me since I have never had children (although I was a great babysitter in my younger day!). I guess this is happening for a reason and I am going to kind of sit back and wait for the reason to make itself known. I will definitely keep you updated.

Take care.
Many hugs.
Love,
Debbie
Old 08-24-2002, 09:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Debbie,

It's great of you to take this on, and I hope it is rewarding and fun for you. How sad it would be if these children wound up with strangers. Hats off to Debbie!

Hugs,
Smoke
Old 08-24-2002, 09:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Hey Debbie -

This little girl is so blessed to have someone like you in her life willing to love and help her.

I also take my hat off to you!!!

I have a wonderful Great Aunt like you!!!!
Old 08-24-2002, 09:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

Deb,
You are a angel, I am so thankful this
little girl has you. Keep us posted
when you can and let us know how it's
going.

Hugs,
Old 08-24-2002, 09:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Debbie,

That's so great that you are taking this little girl in. She won't really know what you've done for her because fortunately she won't know what it's like to live in a foster home. We will appreciate you for her.

I have a niece who has downs. She is a delightful child and we all love her very much. I remember how heartbreaking it felt when she was first born, but that quickly changed to joy.

Hugs,
MG

Old 08-24-2002, 10:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Oh ladies,

I read your posts and felt like crying. You are all so sweet.

I am working on this room still (with breaks), I will confess that I am a pack rat and you never realize how much you accumulate until you try to make room. This is quite a job!!

I will definitely keep you posted on everything and I will be here posting when I am ready to rip my hair out too!!

Many hugs.
Love,
Debbie
Old 08-24-2002, 10:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

By the Way

I fail to see what is "off topic" about sharing this little piece of joy.

Not that the big picture is that happy at the moment, but the joyous way everyone has come together to help each other out in your family is a cause for celebration. Hugs for everyone.

Old 08-24-2002, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Debbie,

I am with Ann...nothing about your life could be off topic. We care about you...ALL of you!

I am happy for the children having so many people who love them and want to see them safe...this should be quite an adventure for you!

That is such a fun age and it sounds as tho she will be so happy for anything you have to offer...which knowing you I am sure is alot!

Lot's of love and good wishes,

JT
Old 08-24-2002, 05:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Thanks Ann and JT

Well, we had a nice pre-visit this afternoon and I think we will all be fine. She is a bundle of energy and sharp as a tack. She started reading to me what was on a box in my kitchen, I was impressed!!

I get her next Saturday for about a month. It really should be an experience

Many hugs.
Love,
Debbie
Old 08-24-2002, 06:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I've always believed in angels (can you tell?) and Barbiedeb, you are living proof that they do exist.

Here's my Angel Barbie for you.

Old 08-24-2002, 06:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

You are doing such a wonderful thing!!! I am sure this little girl will feel the warmth that you have in your heart.

and I know from experience, she will love the Barbie Sheets!!! mine did.
Old 08-24-2002, 06:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

You all mean so much to me, thank you!!

Old 08-24-2002, 06:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Barbiedeb

That is so beautiful. The friendships I have found here are all gifts from God.

I'm so happy this is working out so well for you. Instead of just being troubled times for this little girl, it can be an adventure with Aunt Barbiedeb.

Some of the most special times in my childhood, were a week every summer when I would go visit my Great Auntie May (who was much much older than us). She was probably in her 70's.
She taught me to play Lexicon (a word card game much like Scrabble), and she always kept all her old greeting cards for me to cut up and make pictures with. She had a wonderful garden and I think that my love of gardens today came from her. And she had so many books, I just couldn't get enough of them.

She took me to church and on picnics - she didn't drive or have a car so we would walk to a big park with a huge pond and have our picnic there. And it took me a long time to realize that she didn't even own a TV. She told wonderful stories of her generation in my family and showed me her photo albums of all these people who had died before I was born. And at night, we would sit on her back porch and she would point out stars and constellations to me and we would watch for falling stars.

As you can see, these wonderful memories have lasted me a lifetime, and I will always be grateful for her love.

Your niece will take memories with her of the love she shared with Aunt Barbiedeb. And that is a gift.
Old 08-24-2002, 09:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Paused

Barbiedeb..............: )
You are an Angel and that is such a sad story about the family. They are so lucky to have you ....I pray that they will find a way out of this. She will be a handful, as much as I adore my five month old Grandaughter....OH my she can test me...be sure to find time for just you!
Six is a cute age so full of wonderment and curiosity.
Love and hugs to you
Kitty
Old 08-25-2002, 08:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Barbiedep -

I just want to add to what Ann said about memories of her Great Aunt.

I don't have memories from my childhood like that, but I have wonderful memories of times that we have shared since I got sober in 1995. You are doing a wonderful thing.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Just want to add...my Auntie May didn't have a lot of money. She lived in a very small house that was huge with love, and not one of the things we did cost money. It doesn't take money to share love and joy with children.

I just know that this lucky little girl will have memories that are worth more than all the gold in the world.
Old 08-25-2002, 04:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Thanks again ladies!!

We will have tons of stuff to do, I am the ultimate barbie collector and not just designer dolls. And she loves barbies too She wants to walk the little dog and pick the tomatoes when they are red (she is going to keep checking them).

First thing this morning she called to check in on us She really is cute.

Oh well, need to find some dinner. Won't be able to keep this erratic eating schedule for too much longer, perhaps that is a good thing.

Talk to you soon.

Many hugs.
Love,
Debbie
Old 08-25-2002, 07:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Paused

Barbie;I feel you will see soon that children are sent to us as a blessing.And they will love you unconditionly.I learn from them as well they learn from me.It is a two way blessing.It is good the family is working together.All things are possible with God's help,and you have a plus with the family.Have wonderful fun this mounth,and make wonderful memories that you can share with all your friends here.OLNS