Notices

I'm going to give this a serious shot

Old 02-12-2005, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm going to give this a serious shot

Hello everyone, My name is Diana and I am a nicotine addict lol.

I have been wanting to quit for some time now. I decided since my last attempt that I was going to wait until I was down to half a pack, and just keep them here and not smoke them.

The last time I tried, I waited till I ran out completely, and then when I wanted one I was desperate to get them as soon as possible.
Maybe I am kidding myself by thinking I won't get into the half pack, but I have to try.

I see myself still doing the addictive behaviors, only now with the cigarettes. Natural I guess, considering I am an addict, but this too has to stop.

I decided I will use the same techniques to quit smoking as I did to quit drinking and drugs. History posted the HALT, and that is a good reminder. Don't worry, when I quit, I don't think I will allow myself to even get hungry lol.

Food will probably have to be the next addiction I have to work on after this. You may then see me in the eating forum lol.

I decided not to tell any one this time around, I don't want to disappoint them. I'm sure my daughter has wondered why I haven't asked her to buy me more, knowing how I feel about even running low.

I have 8 cigarettes left (besides the half pack that I am not opening).

I find myself with the same mindset I had when I knew I was going into treatment. Smoke as much as I can now, cause I won't have them later.

Talk about all or nothing mentality!

I'll keep ya posted

Diana
Old 02-12-2005, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck Diana.

I didnt tell anyone either this time. My son in particular used to get all drawn in to the whole thing of mum quitting then upset when i didnt make it. So this time i just got on with it. I didnt bring it to his attention until i had a bit of time under my belt and felt sure of my commitment. Funnily enough, this eased the pressure on me too. I knew without doubt that it was my choice not to smoke rather than me not wanting to let anyone else down.

Deffo keep us posted.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, my plan to not get into the last half pack didn't work. DUH
I guess deep down it was a bad plan. Like telling a drug addict to quit while there is still some in the house. I DON'T want to buy more....I DON'T

I will see how I am tomorrow when they are all gone. I cleaned out ashtrays today and will get rid of everything. I'm even thinking of telling my daughter to take my car to work tomorrow. I have no cash on me, so can't go to the store here, which does not take debit cards.

I have nicorette gum, and plan on using that for a while.

Wish me luck!
Old 02-14-2005, 07:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OK it's been 36 hours without a cigarette!

I am trying to keep busy, but even at work they noticed I had an "edge" to me.

I know the first 3 days (72 hours) are the hardest, so I'm half way there. I feel like there is such a void in my life. Man, harder than I remembered.

I'm surprized at how tired I am. I am not hungry but feel the need to do something. How much of this is phycological/OCD? I am using the nicorette gum, so I know I am getting the nicotine.

Any suggestions....