Notices

Do U ever feel this way?

Old 01-03-2005, 08:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do U ever feel this way?

Please tell me some stories of how u changed your night time life for the lack of bordom wich made you drink?? I get so bored at night around 7pm this is the hardest for me. Can anyone tell me something to do besides meetings? :lumpy
Old 01-03-2005, 08:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

puzzles, crafts, hobies, good book, soak in the tub, return to school, meal planning (cook and freeze)... What would be a thing or things you think you may like? Quiet and alone time has had a few learn they like to write, paint, sculped.
You can try different things ona short budget and if you find you like it, get the better tools for that hobby.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I choose to live

Originally Posted by best
puzzles, crafts, hobies, good book, soak in the tub, return to school, meal planning (cook and freeze)... What would be a thing or things you think you may like? Quiet and alone time has had a few learn they like to write, paint, sculped.
You can try different things ona short budget and if you find you like it, get the better tools for that hobby.
Yes indeed there is so much to do...I tried the harmonica(mouthharp)and I enjoy it a lot...Love from Stefanie
Old 01-04-2005, 07:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yoga, go for a walk, do pilates, go for a run or a swim at a pool - I find that physical exercise really helps. Not only is it good for you physically, it's also great mentally, and who wants to pour alcohol into this body that you're working out and making strong?! Make some small goals (1/4 mile in the pool, a mile on the road, etc.) and incorporate them into larger ones - like planning a really challenging hike for the coming summer, or doing a road race in the spring.

Good luck. Alcohol isn't your buddy or your friend - don't let it tell you that it is, because it will try very hard. It is your enemy at all times - especially when you are bored or stressed.

take care,
anne
Old 01-04-2005, 07:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

i DIDN'T DRINK OUT OF BOREDOM, i DRANK TO ALTER THE MOOD i WAS HAVING. i DRANK WHEN, i WAS HAPPY ONLY TO FIND OUT DRINKING MADE ME DEPRESSED.
tHERE ARE PLENTY OF THINGS TO DO THAT DON'T HAVE TO BE REVOLVING AROUND THE DRINK.

i STILL TAKE IN COMEDY CLUBS, CONCERTS, BASEBALL GAMES, SAILING, CAMPING.
eVERYONE ABOVE MENTIONED GOOD IDEAS. eXERCISE IS A GOOD THING TO DO. iS THERE A GYM OR A TRACK YOU CAN WALK OR JOG AROUND?

tAKE AN INVENTORY OF YOUR SELF. wHAT DO YOU LIKE TO DO? i READ A STORY THE OTHER DAY ABOUT AN 83 YEAR OLD GETTING HER DEGREE FROM COLLEGE. HMMMMM
Old 01-04-2005, 07:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Connie

In one month I managed to paint and decorate an empty room in my house. It was awesome after it was finished. Been thinking about re-doing this room for 4 years, as I sat and drank and thought about re-doing this room. It was awesome when it was finished. I call it my sobriety room.

Going to take some classes, just for the fun of it. There's just so much to do out there. Good luck
Old 01-04-2005, 08:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
The Serenity Plus Plan

I agree with anne - exercise is great. I joined a gym and I go especially when I would normally get cravings - thankfully a rare occurence now. Mentally and physically it has done wonders for me.

I also write, read, go to the movies and attend meetings during the evening hours. And of course come to SR!

I honestly rarely get bored.

Richard
Old 01-04-2005, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I know exactly how you feel.

For me, it was the obsession with alcohol that always told me I was bored. My mind was so good at telling me that everything I did, apart from drinking, was a complete waste of time and boring. Everything .... period. It wasn't until I started to work the steps (I use AA, but there are other recovery programs) and the obsession was lifted that I realised exactly what was happening.

I was an expert at trashing life and all its little wonders & miracles because all I really wanted to do was drink. Until I got a program going, that was how it stayed. But once the program started to work, and I started to change , other things became interesting once again.

much love
JC
Old 01-04-2005, 08:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To be continued....

I get bored sometimes then too. Lately I've been sewing or painting in the evenings. It keeps my hands busy and my mind busy. It seems to really help.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A good hobby helps, and so does exercise.

But for me, the biggest help has been to change my entire sleep schedule. That is, I used to stay up late and partied through the night -- making a fool of myself and bringing others down with me.
:band

After so many years of that, I found that I enjoyed going to bed early at night and getting up early in the morning. Nowadays, I get up at about 4:00 or so and go to bed around 9:30. I go to the gym to pump iron around 5:00 a.m. or so. At night, I spend a little time watching TV or calling a friend. But mostly I am just tired from the long day.
So I just relax and then turn in for the night.

I am living the life of a "homebody" and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I don't miss the nightlife, not one bit. I get nostalgic at times, but only in a very minor sort of way, and am just very happy to be at home.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Chy

I was an evening drinker and nearly went crazy in early recovery filling my time. I did a lot of meetings, step work, and self examination, then slowly I found new avenues of occupying my time. Be patient, your going to turn around one day and be so busy you'll wish you had time to be bored. Look, there's a big world out there.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Giving up control

I know how you feel, thats when the cravings hit me too. I'm new and don't have any wisdom, just wanted to let you know we're in the same boat. Thanks for bringing that up, you- well we, got some good suggestions!