Notices

Side effects from prolonged alcohol use?

Old 03-02-2024, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Side effects from prolonged alcohol use?

First, celebrating 31 days!!!

second, I’m here for thoughts and advice from anyone experiencing possibly long term issues…

my doctor things I have neuropathy in my feet from my alcohol use. He said it should go away after a very prolonged period of not drinking. But it hurts SO bad. Has anyone had experience with this?

thanks!!
Old 03-02-2024, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 31 days of sobriety. I haven't personally had neuropathy, but I think that some people have. Hopefully others will be along to give you some information.
Old 03-02-2024, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done on 31 days! I’ll let someone else answer your question about neuropathy, as I had a pins and needles type thing and shooting pains in one side of my head/neck but never got them checked out and they have gone since I stopped drinking. They disappeared quickly but were relatively new symptoms (which were one of the many reasons I knew it was time to stop btw).

but I think in general, anything someone can do to try and lower inflammation in the body, the better, from food/natural sources. Omega 3 particularly. But I guess after drinking for so long, plenty of vitamins are a good shout. Nourishment of any kind.

xxx
Old 03-02-2024, 02:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Alcohol can and does cause neuropathy. I've been sober for over 14 yrs now and got neuropathy in my feet badly about 3 yrs ago. Didn't think it was alcohol related since I'd been sober for so long, and had a long period of being sober before that, altho I did drink heavily for quite a few years when I was younger.

But my neurologist told me that, yes, my neuropathy was likely due to my alcohol consumption over the years, even tho I'd been sober a long time.

So yes, it does cause neuropathy, even much later in life.
Old 03-02-2024, 03:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

^ Oh crikey, really?? I’ve definitely got stuff in the post then!
Old 03-02-2024, 08:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had issues with neuropathy, luckily all issues have been resolved. There are a lot of other symptoms aside from tingling and numbness.

Congrats on the 31 days
Old 03-03-2024, 02:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 31 days sober. The great thing about being sober is that no more drinking related damage is done to the body 🙏
Old 03-03-2024, 09:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Jack well done on 31 days. I know someone who had the same in her hand and wrist she was in a lot of pain. Once she got off the alcohol her symptoms went and as of yet they haven't returned.
Old 03-04-2024, 01:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I definitely had it while drinking, my whole leg. It would get worse if I had a bender, and go away when I was sober.

Haven't had it in like 2 years now though! So I say there's hope!
Old 03-04-2024, 05:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's been 11 days for me and my neuropathy kicked up big time in my feet. It's just starting to get a little better. I have always had it since my chemo but man it was painful for the first week. I have lots of reports that alcohol abuse makes it worse. Hopefully as I dry out it will get better. I am going to see my doctor next week for my physical and plan on telling him about me quitting alcohol. Hopefully all my blood work will come back normal.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Congrats 30 days sober is big Jack

Good David on 11 days sober.

Stay sober to avoid any more damage guys. Have a daily treatment plan for soberity and better health to practice.
Old 03-05-2024, 02:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Alcohol is bad for your nerves. One of my terrifying withdrawal symptoms was nerves in my hands, feet, and gut going crazy. I would literally get pins and needles in my stomach that made my stomach turn. It only went away with phenobarbitol. Such scary stuff :/
Old 03-05-2024, 06:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

A lot of the physical stuff has been mentioned.

There are also many other potential side effects, all of which involve losing stuff. Here are a few.

Divorce, losing contact with your kids, losing your job, losing your drivers license, losing family and friends, and losing your self esteem. I'm sure there are more.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Losing your self esteem is a big one. Man how I used to hate myself. I've put that life behind me though. Tye benefits of sobriety are immense.