Notices

Neurological receptors testing

Old 01-22-2024, 01:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Neurological receptors testing

Anyone who’s followed my progress will have read I’ve struggled, there’s been no pink clouds just increased levels of stress, overthinking and worry.

In trying to do something positive - and acutely aware of how alcohol can mess up the mind - I ordered online tests on the following.

GABA - Controls stress and anxiety

Glutamic acid - Controls cognitive thoughts and memory

Serotonin - Controls mood, blood pressure and a precursor to melatonin for sleep.

Dopamine - Controls concentration levels and motivation

Adrenaline - Controls mental activity & heart rate.

Noradrenaline - Calms the brain.

I’m expecting results in the next couple of days, and will use it as part of my Sober Recovery programme (alongside doctors advice) to improve areas which I’m deficient.

Just wondering if any forum members chose to look into this in their sobriety and how useful they found it?

Old 01-22-2024, 01:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I find this VERY interestering and will check back to see your results! I've read A LOT about the "brain" connection in all of this. I drank because of a very volatile, stressful marriage/divorce so I FIRMLY believe that my adrenals are out of whack. Drinking "calmed me" when dr's wanted to rx valium or xanax for my panic attacks. I thought that stopping drinking and getting passed the divorce would calm them down. It has not. I think I was in fight or flight mode for so long that they just never evened out.

Like you, I had no pink clouds, my stress HAS decreased, but my overthinking and over reaction and over worry has not. Interesting stuff. Is this through a holistic doctor or on your own?
Old 01-23-2024, 12:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behappy1 View Post
I find this VERY interestering and will check back to see your results! I've read A LOT about the "brain" connection in all of this. I drank because of a very volatile, stressful marriage/divorce so I FIRMLY believe that my adrenals are out of whack. Drinking "calmed me" when dr's wanted to rx valium or xanax for my panic attacks. I thought that stopping drinking and getting passed the divorce would calm them down. It has not. I think I was in fight or flight mode for so long that they just never evened out.

Like you, I had no pink clouds, my stress HAS decreased, but my overthinking and over reaction and over worry has not. Interesting stuff. Is this through a holistic doctor or on your own?
Just something I bought online from a private doctors. Cost £250 / $300

I would spend that and more in 2 weeks drinking so money well spent in my opinion.

Ill report back when I have received my results
Old 01-24-2024, 06:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Interesting thread! Following.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ooooo interesting
Old 01-25-2024, 12:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
needingtochange

Sounds interesting. Keep us informed.
Old 02-07-2024, 06:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I’ve had the results back from this but no idea how I can share them with you all.

Im awful with computers so if anyone can walk me through things it would be appreciated.

It’s saved as a pdf file and I think I’ve screenshot all pages to my phone.
Old 02-07-2024, 07:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, you could post the screenshots as images, but I don't think it's something that we as a group will be able to help with much. We aren't allowed to make medical recommendations on this site. Can you take it to a medical professional?

I mean...online tests are sus in a lot of ways. I used to work at one of these labs that did testing that was not part of mainstream medicine.

I think the best things for neuro healing have to be no alcohol or drugs, managing stress, 7-9 hours of sleep daily, some exercise, water, and good healthy nutrition. All those things will help the healing, regardless of what your test results are. There's only so much we can each do to mitigate damage other than the above - the rest will be up to Father/Mother Time.
Old 02-07-2024, 01:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Having chatted with you in your other thread Alba, I think if you have not researched the autonomic sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems. I think it would explain further what you may be experiencing. And also automatic negative thoughts.

Old 02-07-2024, 02:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joe801 View Post
Having chatted with you in your other thread Alba, I think if you have not researched the autonomic sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems. I think it would explain further what you may be experiencing. And also automatic negative thoughts.

thanks pal
Old 02-07-2024, 06:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

How long have you been sober? I'm curious about this, too.

My personal thoughts are that alcoholism is a brain-pancreas-kidney? issue....
Old 02-08-2024, 01:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
How long have you been sober? I'm curious about this, too.

My personal thoughts are that alcoholism is a brain-pancreas-kidney? issue....
Only 2 and a half months.

all of my tests came back in the normal range which I was disappointed about ☹️
Old 02-08-2024, 04:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

all of my tests came back in the normal range which I was disappointed about ☹️

Alba I wonder, do these levels fluctuate throughout the day like hormones do?
Old 02-08-2024, 05:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I understand why you may be disappointed, but the results are wonderful news.

Side note here, anxiety and excitement are the same things in physiology, it's the interpretation of positive and negative that projects the feelings of excitement (happiness, let's do this) or anxiety (fear & dread).

For instance, If trying to calm down in situations doesn't help and makes things worse (for some that's the case) try to flip the feelings.
Old 02-09-2024, 02:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joe801 View Post
I understand why you may be disappointed, but the results are wonderful news.

Side note here, anxiety and excitement are the same things in physiology, it's the interpretation of positive and negative that projects the feelings of excitement (happiness, let's do this) or anxiety (fear & dread).

For instance, If trying to calm down in situations doesn't help and makes things worse (for some that's the case) try to flip the feelings.
Its exclusively anxiety about ageing/ health anxiety. I didn’t have any of this before a major panic attack in early November and I now have GAD and this 😢.

I’m on day 2 of the cold shower therapy thing but it’s worked thus far.
Old 02-09-2024, 04:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That's great that cold showers are helping.

Yep, my first panic attack led to the domino effect of anxiety and panic. It does get better and in some cases completely goes away.