Notices

Insurance company suggestions

Old 01-13-2024, 07:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Insurance company suggestions

I don't know if this is appropriate or not. Hope so.

I got a DWI last summer, and that's what started me on my sobriety journey. It's been a bit more than five months, and, frankly, the not drinking has been easier than I thought.

What has not been easy is navigating all the hurdles and hoops that come with a DWI.

This week, I found out I can't insure an ATV through my regular insurance company because of the issue with my driver's license.

Hence, my question: Anyone know of a U.S.-based insurance company that works with folks who have been ticketed for DWI?
Old 01-14-2024, 04:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Unfortunately I am in this club also. Insurance companies can rightfuly so drop you at renewal or at any chance they have reason too. I am 2 years past a DWI with 3 of us on a family auto policy. They dropped us all. They didn't catch it last year, but they did 2 years afer the fact. I asked about just keeping the other 2 on and takiing me off as they're 23 with no traffic tickets even. They dropped us all - because if I would drive their vehicles they face the same liability. My DUI did not result in any accidents or anything that insurance needed to pay, they caught it @ renewal time.

My advice - find a good agent who knows the situation and can help find companies. I had an ATV that I ended up putting on my homeowners policy. In the end, we all ended up paying more because of my dui. My agrent said insurance goes back 3 years and checks, some go back 5 years.
Old 01-14-2024, 10:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behappy1 View Post
Unfortunately I am in this club also. Insurance companies can rightfuly so drop you at renewal or at any chance they have reason too. I am 2 years past a DWI with 3 of us on a family auto policy. They dropped us all. They didn't catch it last year, but they did 2 years afer the fact. I asked about just keeping the other 2 on and takiing me off as they're 23 with no traffic tickets even. They dropped us all - because if I would drive their vehicles they face the same liability. My DUI did not result in any accidents or anything that insurance needed to pay, they caught it @ renewal time.

My advice - find a good agent who knows the situation and can help find companies. I had an ATV that I ended up putting on my homeowners policy. In the end, we all ended up paying more because of my dui. My agrent said insurance goes back 3 years and checks, some go back 5 years.
To an extent, I get it. They may be taking on additional risk. In many of our cases, though, that's not the case. At any rate, I wish they would tailor a policy to specific needs. In my case, I only need insurance against theft and uninsured motorists. Someone should be able to write that policy.
Old 01-14-2024, 12:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Apparently, State Farm is the best to try after a DWI/DUI. s
Old 01-14-2024, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Most states require you to get an SR-22 in the event of a DWI or if you are considered high risk for other reasons. Most insurance agents can help you with this. You might find this link helpful.

https://wallethub.com/edu/ci/sr-22-insurance/7337