Notices

Only realised this afternoon!

Old 01-06-2024, 10:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Only realised this afternoon!

2 months sober today! Woop! I only remembered when I bumped into a friend this morning and she asked me how long it has been.

I can’t actually believe I have done both my 40th birthday AND Christmas without a drop of booze.

I feel like a million quid!

The Great Stuff:

My relationships are better - I’m a better Mum, a better partner and even a better dog owner…I think anyway.

Negative head talk has pretty much disappeared. I still over-react at myself when I do little idiotic things, (like use the torch on my phone to look for my phone etc)…but it’s no longer a dramatic scene out of Avatar. It’s reasonable.

No Anxiety. Not even a molecule.
I am literally looking everywhere these days for shites to give. I have none. This has been great because I have been trying new things I wouldn’t usually and feeling like I am actually starting to live a little rather than shuffle around being scared of the big, bad world.

Mornings!
I actually like waking up now. And Getting out of bed isn’t almost impossible. I do, quite literally bounce out.

My FACE.
I look great. I do! About 10 years younger. At this rate, in a years time I will resemble a newborn.

My bank balance.
Boom.

My libido.
Boom.

My work.
Boom boom boom.

You get the idea. There’s lots of booming.

The Not So Great Stuff:

I ******* hated Christmas. Sorry! But I did. I really wanted to not feel that way, but I did. I put on a winning performance for the fam. But inside I was slapping Christmas around the face repeatedly with a wet mackerel. I was bored. Restless. Mentally itchy. Felt disengaged. Just wanted everything to be January the 2nd. But hey ho, I didn’t drink. And don’t have to ‘Christmas’ again for another year.

Boredom.
I’ve found that, not dissimilar to a toddler full of haribo, I am pretty wired. Constantly. I NEED to be doing something interesting or I get antsy. I don’t just sit and scroll away on a device as that’s really bad for dopamine levels or something like that. So I like to be active instead. I’m joining a street dance class on Wednesday… We’ll see how that pans out… But the boredom thing is bad. Especially at weekends. Even when I do stuff, I am wanting to be more excited by it (?!)

Hyper aware that I have a very large ‘F it’ button.
This lovely sobriety life still seems fragile. I have been known to make poor decisions because of my ‘F it’ button, and really need to make
more of an effort to get rid of it.

Anyway, that’s it! Thanks for everyone’s advice and all the stuff you have shared. I haven’t felt alone even once.

Massive hugs to SR xxxxxxx

Old 01-06-2024, 10:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's brilliant KneePads really really pleased for you. You've done two big occasions and nailed it. Your list of positives is your focus keep thinking of them and alcohol becomes immaterial. I'm going on five months and went through the stages your going through.

I'm now a lot more comfortable with my sobriety I have absolutely no issue with openly saying I don't drink and I'm really proud of that I don't feel remotely boring to others in fact quite the opposite. As far as keeping occupied I have far more energy because I'm properly looking after myself and sleeping better. I'm just so excited to see where my new life takes me. Different experiences without the lack of memories due to alcohol. I'm intending to step right out of my comfort zone this year and try lots of new things. I can honestly say it's the best decision I've ever made. So stick with it because that's where your heading. Really happy for you well done 👏
Old 01-06-2024, 10:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Big congratulations on your 2 mos. free, KneePads.

I remained a little unsettled & disoriented for a few months after getting sober. It's an adjustment, even though we are so thrilled to be sober. Eventually the anxiety left me alone.
Happy for you, & glad you're here.
Old 01-06-2024, 10:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Way to go, KneePads. It sounds like you're adjusting well. Congratulations on 2 months.
Old 01-06-2024, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gymbunny7 View Post
That's brilliant KneePads really really pleased for you. You've done two big occasions and nailed it. Your list of positives is your focus keep thinking of them and alcohol becomes immaterial. I'm going on five months and went through the stages your going through.

I'm now a lot more comfortable with my sobriety I have absolutely no issue with openly saying I don't drink and I'm really proud of that I don't feel remotely boring to others in fact quite the opposite. As far as keeping occupied I have far more energy because I'm properly looking after myself and sleeping better. I'm just so excited to see where my new life takes me. Different experiences without the lack of memories due to alcohol. I'm intending to step right out of my comfort zone this year and try lots of new things. I can honestly say it's the best decision I've ever made. So stick with it because that's where your heading. Really happy for you well done 👏
What a lovely message, thanks Bunny. I love the idea that as non-drinkers we are more exciting than drinkers - we are! Also I agree completely with the stepping outside of the comfort zone - it’s where the growth happens! 😊😊 xxx
Old 01-06-2024, 10:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good wishes to you kneepads. At some point you wont need our reassurance. Reality is simple and happy. You won't need booze. Just fight and stay strong.
Old 01-06-2024, 10:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Very impressive and you will LOVE Christmas next year. With a birthday AND Christmas, that is a lot to handle in very early sobriety. You will be well-prepared and much, much stronger next year. Congrats to you!!
Old 01-06-2024, 11:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ahh, thanks Hevyn, Anna, phonk and Oglsby. You guys are little gems 💎 xxx
Old 01-06-2024, 11:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job, KneePads!

Christmas will be better next year- the "firsts" can be challenging but that fades. Great work!!
Old 01-06-2024, 12:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 2 months KneePads.
You picked a tough time of year to get sober - but you did it

I think, like Oglsby said, you’ll have a far better experience next Xmas

D

Old 01-06-2024, 12:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

KneePads, you are fantastic!
And your accent absolutely shines through!

PS: it's "a million bucks" :p
Old 01-06-2024, 12:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Congratulations, KneePads! Great work! I have two months sober today too, we are sober buddies!
Old 01-06-2024, 12:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Lixie

D
Old 01-06-2024, 12:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I wouldn’t want to mess with you, KP 😂

Really brilliant to read. I don’t think it ever drops off. We feel more tired because we have more energy in the first place and get more done. Double well done for avoiding Xmas and birthday drinks 👍
Old 01-06-2024, 01:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VikingGF View Post
Great job, KneePads!

Christmas will be better next year- the "firsts" can be challenging but that fades. Great work!!
Thanks Viking yes, I don’t really like all these ‘firsts’… I still have a first wedding, first holiday and first ‘proper’ social gathering to attend whenever they arise. It sort of feels like a long wait at the dentists. But I’ll cross those bridges when they get here….
Old 01-06-2024, 01:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
I wouldn’t want to mess with you, KP 😂

Really brilliant to read. I don’t think it ever drops off. We feel more tired because we have more energy in the first place and get more done. Double well done for avoiding Xmas and birthday drinks 👍
Thanks Hodd! 🤗 You have been so supportive and kind. Maybe I should invent my own version of Red bull? 😂😂
xxx
Old 01-06-2024, 01:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lixie View Post
Congratulations, KneePads! Great work! I have two months sober today too, we are sober buddies!
Hey Lixie! Well done my lovely!! It feels great doesn’t it? Let’s make sure we’re both here raising a glass of Dr Pepper zero on the 6th of February to celebrate month 3 😎😎😎

xxx
Old 01-06-2024, 01:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
KneePads, you are fantastic!
And your accent absolutely shines through!

PS: it's "a million bucks" :p
Haha! Thanks ThatWas 😊😊 I’ll take quid, bucks, dollars or sausage rolls 😂😂! xxx

Old 01-06-2024, 02:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congrats on 2 months KneePads.
You picked a tough time of year to get sober - but you did it

I think, like Oglsby said, you’ll have a far better experience next Xmas

D
Thanks Dee! In hindsight I’m glad I chose a hard time of year… just because I have proved to myself that I can do hard things now! 😂😂
xxx
Old 01-06-2024, 02:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

^^ We’re all different but my last mahoosive craving came after 55 days (weird I remember the days) and since then, touch wood, cravings have been rarer and rarer. As I say, we’re all different, but I reckon (barring major stress or triggers), two months is a big milestone 🙂