Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

Shades & blinds always closed, windows rarely opened. Drug effects or privacy?

Old 05-21-2023, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

They say if someone constantly have their blinds, shades and/or windows aclosed it's a sign they are somekind of drug binge which I've found to be true over the years. A new neighbor/tenant who seemed to be an occasional pot user but always opened everything up when possible. Now doing what other drug/alcohol bingers are doing in the place days at a time with everything closed up. They are also a big time cigarette smoker out sometimes once an hour. But not during these binges.

Always wondered was the no day/sun light from a drug side effect like dilated pupils or simply privacy out of fear of being caught.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I close my blinds on the sunny side to keep the heat out in the summer. I also don't want to view the parking lot at any time so the blinds over-looking the parking tend to be shut a lot. I also have a very nosey neighbor and don't want her busy-bodying in my business. I don't take drugs. Haven't had an alcoholic drink in close to ten years. If anything, I've become much more protective of my own serenity in sobriety and unwilling to let others' barking dogs and cigarette or cooking smells into my sanctuary.

I don't want or need to view, hear, or smell my neighbors.

Why does it bother you?
Old 05-21-2023, 10:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I always have my blinds or curtains closed, on every window. I don't use drugs.

I do it for privacy and also because a bright, sunlit room is annoying to me lol

Maybe he quit drugs and is just chilling!

Old 05-21-2023, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by thequest View Post
They say if someone constantly have their blinds, shades and/or windows aclosed it's a sign they are somekind of drug binge which I've found to be true over the years.
How ridiculous. There are all sorts of reasons someone might keep their windows covered. In addition to those mentioned above, maybe he knows there are nosy people watching everything he does.

Old 05-21-2023, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My curtains are closed to keep out heat in summer;
or if I feel very low in spirits and want to close out the world and all its stimulations for a bit.
Hope your neighbour is ok.
Old 05-21-2023, 08:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
My curtains are closed to keep out heat in summer;
or if I feel very low in spirits and want to close out the world and all its stimulations for a bit.
Hope your neighbour is ok.
The neighbor who keeps shades, and blinds closed 24/7 all week has been doing that for a couple years. He's had a reputation as being a pot head going into the pandemic Until the last year you would get some smells a day or two a week wit no signs of activity/noise.. Now every day there are pot smells coming from his apartment. He cracks his window or back door an inch or so Smells are so strong if he goes somewhere/opens the door odors can linger over an hour. This has been accompanied by 24/7 loud or raucous behavior including days long sessions of music, gaming and machinery? of somekind.. . Signs of dealing as well getting late night visitors stopping by.not staying..

Old 05-22-2023, 06:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wouldn't read too much into the blinds being closed. Most people in my apartment complex keep their blinds closed.
Old 05-23-2023, 06:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thequest View Post
The neighbor who keeps shades, and blinds closed 24/7 all week has been doing that for a couple years. He's had a reputation as being a pot head going into the pandemic Until the last year you would get some smells a day or two a week wit no signs of activity/noise.. Now every day there are pot smells coming from his apartment. He cracks his window or back door an inch or so Smells are so strong if he goes somewhere/opens the door odors can linger over an hour. This has been accompanied by 24/7 loud or raucous behavior including days long sessions of music, gaming and machinery? of somekind.. . Signs of dealing as well getting late night visitors stopping by.not staying..
Is pot illegal where you live? What about rules in your apartment complex about annoying the neighbors with loud music, smells, or partying? I would report him to management and/or move if it bothers you that much.

If it's loud during your city's "Quiet hours" you could call the police. Every city has quiet hours, you can look at your city's website or call the police non-emergency number and find out how they deal with it and what the hours are.

Pot is legal here. That's a whole different set of issues.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Is pot illegal where you live? What about rules in your apartment complex about annoying the neighbors with loud music, smells, or partying? I would report him to management and/or move if it bothers you that much.

If it's loud during your city's "Quiet hours" you could call the police. Every city has quiet hours, you can look at your city's website or call the police non-emergency number and find out how they deal with it and what the hours are.

Pot is legal here. That's a whole different set of issues.
Not legal but tolerated per say. It's a no smoking building period. If they're ignoring no smoking rules or lied to get the apartment that indicates they're going to do what they want regardless. The police have been called and landlord informed. They want proof.. You know something's up because they have strategically placed 'openings' in the shades/blinds so if paying attention they''ll see the police or landlord which is what happened after last call.

I never thought of pot as the energy drug but they do about 12 hours of gaming on a slow day and have done about 2 days straight with an hour break here and there. They're probably mixing a stimulant but the pot smell is present throughout the day.

They also went through a couple of months where you couldnt' see normal lighting through the few cracks just LED lighting or tv flickering( don't have to strain can see all of this as one approaches the building).