Gabapentin - is it a newly abused rx now?

Old 05-08-2023, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gabapentin - is it a newly abused rx now?

My xah was heavily into oxy, xanax, any pills really and in the end heroin. He's an ex for a reason and I don't talk to him much, but will if it's about our grown kids. Not my business and he will 100% deny anyway, but is gabapentin an up and coming abusable drug? He knows how to work dr's to get what he wants and I know he's on high doses of gabapentin. Any experience with that being abused? Nodding out, confused, "tired", blah, blah.
Old 05-08-2023, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was just reading up on this, love. And if he is doctor-shopping for this drug, I would be very concerned. s
Old 05-08-2023, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh he's most likely doing what he's always done. Get an rx, buy the rest on the streets. I am so glad that is not my problem anymore. I went through so much with him. YEARS of lies, manipulation, gaslighting. Of course he's "clean" now - but nods out and talks like he is still hopped up on oxy's, xanax, heroin, dilauded, fentynal or whatever else he can get his hands on.

Just curious if that was an up and coming abusable rx. From what I have read it is, from what I've seen from him it is.
Old 05-08-2023, 10:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, it is. I’m on Gabapentin myself. My pharmacist told me theyfound out crack/meth cookers learned to use it in their recipes now. I also read people use it along oxycodone to enhance the”high”. He also told me his roommate in college used to take a few before going out drinking to get high.
Sad state of affairs we live in, eh?
Old 05-09-2023, 02:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The Dog

I have epilepsy and at one point I was on Neurontin the brand name for Gabapentin. Every time I had another seizure the doctors response was to again up my dosage. Finally I got frustrated and switched doctors. My new doctor told me if anything Gabapentin was causing me to have more seizures and immediately took me off of it. A few years later there was a story on Dateline NBC about how Gabapentin was fined millions of dollars by the FDA. They had been caught paying doctors to up people's dosage of their medicine. Soon after that Gabapentin was then marketed as pain relief.
Old 05-09-2023, 05:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Geez Toy, that is scary stuff.
Old 05-09-2023, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow - so I am not crazy. Thank you for that info! He must be testing "clean" as he has a job. He is also on suboxone and says he'll be on it the rest of his life. He takes it with visteral I believe. The dose he's on is something like 3400mg a day. Beause he's in so much "pain." It's all very sad. He was messing around with Kratom at one time too. IDK how all of that fits in to his "cocktail." I hadn't seen him for about a year, but when I did - what I saw was very similar to the opiate reactions of the past. I found myself dipping my toes into the very severe co-dependency water that I fought so hard to pull myself out of. This info helps me, so thanks.
Old 05-20-2023, 05:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just saw in my local paper someone was arrested for ovi and snorting gabapentin. She didn't have a rx. I also heard that child support in my county drug tests before visitation and gabapentin is one of the drugs they test for. Of course it doesn't matter if they have an rx. This is just like when oxy started being abused. Have an rx, you're covered. Wow!
Old 05-21-2023, 09:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It appears to be a depressant yet meth heads are using it? But some reporting affects similar to adderall ie a stimulant high even though a sedative.

Addicts seem to be mixing different combinations more and more. I thought it was use a stimulant to get high and depressant to come down which isn't good either. All that up and down can't be good physically or mentally. Maybe that's why they are seeking drugs like this their moods more consistent?
Old 05-23-2023, 01:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That sounds complicated, it could be as simple as one addict saying to the other - you have to try this, it's the best.