Notices

High blood pressure

Old 10-19-2022, 06:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

High blood pressure

I am almost 4 months sober and i measured my blood pressure this morning and it was 137/70 , which is pretty high for a 33 year old ( who exercises almost every day ) , how long did it take for your blood pressure to drop after you stopped drinking ?
Old 10-19-2022, 06:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My blood pressure didn't become a problem until after 20 years of drinking, but that could have been a matter of age. When I finally quit after 40 years of drinking, I didn't see a change. However, after about 20 years of sobriety, my blood pressure dropped enough for my doctor to cut back on the dosage of my meds. With that kind of time line, it's hard for me to make a connection between drinking and blood pressure. There was no immediate change on starting or stopping, so it's hard to claim a direct cause and effect.

Whether I'm typical or not, I can't say.
Old 10-19-2022, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've taken medication for high blood pressure for almost 30 years. And fortunately, it's very well controlled. I'm not a Doctor, but what follows is based upon my experiences.

The 137 is evaluated, but it's not really that high, especially when your diastolic pressure is quite low at 70. The elevated readings need to be consistently high over time to be a concern. One reading doesn't provide much data.

The 137 systolic reading can easily be caused by the anxiety of simply measuring your blood pressure. It also can be caused by what you eat. For example, if you had a couple of hot dogs for lunch yesterday, you probably doubled the recommended daily sodium intake for an adult. That can also give you an elevated reading.

Measure your blood pressure daily for a couple of weeks when you are calm and relaxed, and at various times of the day. And during this time, track the amount of sodium in your daily diet. Then if you are still concerned talk to a Doctor and show them your data.

However, if one day you happen to get a very high daily reading then get to an emergency room.

This happened to me last year. After many years of taking the same medication my Dr. recommended that we decrease the dose since I was consistently getting readings of like, 103/70 and she was concerned that it was too low. The new pill I started taking looked very similar to a vitamin I was taking and when I filled up my weekly pill box, I must of gotten distracted and screwed up. I accidentally put two vitamins, and no HBP medication in the daily pill box slots, and took this "medication" for about 5 days. Then when I routinely took my BP at home it was like 164/112. Of course I then became very anxious and subsequent readings were even higher. I went to the ER, and explained that I had screwed up my medication routine. They got my pressure user control in a couple of hours and sent me home. And I now pay close attention when I fill up my weekly pill box.

Old 10-19-2022, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is where we get told off The 137 is higher than the 120 that all sources recommend, but as Zebra says, it’s not that high. Anecdotally, a GP wouldn’t prescribe any tablets for those levels, plus having seen the side effects of BP pills on my elderly parents, I’d only take them if 100% necessary.

It’d be interesting to know what your BP was in your drinking days. Also, what time of the day are you recording it and how many times, etc?

When I was an obese drinker, I took loads of BP measurements at all times of the day, all totally random. I was scoring 170/ on some days. It’s normal now, at least when I record it in the mornings. If you’re worried, keeps records for a few weeks and ask your GP.

Old 10-19-2022, 10:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you very much for your responses , i just measured it again and it was 132/72 , so i will try to cut down on the salty food and see what happens.
Old 10-19-2022, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Laza, if it’s concerning you please see a Doctor.

Folks here are well meaning but no one here should be giving you medical advice.
The responses before mine get a pass for mentioning personal experience.

What might be ok figures for one person may not be for another.

The only thing that bought my sky high BP down after I quit was prescribed meds.

D
Old 10-19-2022, 01:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Coming from a medical background/profession I agree with Dee. You Dr. will know your background and baseline levels. If it is of concern to you should call your Dr.