Notices

Day 1 again

Old 10-11-2022, 09:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 again

Ugh. I traveled … I drank… I didn’t get drunk. Nothing bad happened…I drank for 5 days. 1-4 drinks each day. I feel gross though. Day one starts tomorrow … grrrrr
Old 10-11-2022, 10:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi AJ

I'm sorry you drank but I'm glad you came right back here.
Many of us faltered a time or two before we got the no drinking ever thing right....but I think it's important to examine what happened and why you drank.

That way you can build a better plan going forward?

D
Old 10-11-2022, 10:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi AJ

I'm sorry you drank but I'm glad you came right back here.
Many of us faltered a time or two before we got the no drinking ever thing right....but I think it's important to examine what happened and why you drank.

That way you can build a better plan going forward?

D
thank you Dee. I’m 90% sure it was due to stress. I really need support right now. Im
pretty annoyed with myself
Old 10-12-2022, 12:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I am a Child of God

I am sorry you drank but new day new start pick yourself up dust yourself off and make this day count, just this day only just this day don't think of yesterday or tomorrow , do something nice for yourself , anything without the drink or drugs something you have not done in a long time , keep your self distracted and be kind to yourself
Old 10-12-2022, 01:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Think about other ways you could relieve stress and other ways to relax when you're not at home maybe?
Remember you can access SR anytime you have a internet device handy - phone, table, PC macbook.

Post before you drink.
I know it might be inconvenient to log in sometimes but we're all worth that effort, and so is your recovery

D

Old 10-12-2022, 04:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

AJ, I have definitely been where you were/are and drank due to stress and for me it only made things worse on many levels and the stress was still there. Blah. I am so very happy you are back, I too have had a handful of day 1s, so I know and understand how hard it is (along with many members here I am sure) and how you feel. Now when I feel like "need" a I run that tape forward and backward of what happens when I drink. I also think about what the people here would say to me which really helps. Hang in there, you can do this.
Old 10-12-2022, 06:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

What helped me from day 1 until now to not relapse is believing the following...

Booze altered my brain permanently. There are connections that are forever damaged.

The connections were damaged by booze and now need the booze to feel "normal." The anxious/obsessive/insane etc. feelings I got from day 1 until now are those connections dealing with the lack of booze.

This is the suffering some have spoken about. Getting through the suffering, the crave, is hell on earth.

The emotional response is defeated by the analysis. This is the left and right brain battling. This makes me feel crazy.

The only way I know to get through is suffering and time. It can take years to readjust and feel better. Relapse looms the whole time.

The good news is that beginning on day 1, there are moments of clarity/serenity. These moments get longer and longer. The suffering gets shorter and shorter.

Enjoying exercise, good food, entertainment, acts of kindness, AA meetings, etc. etc. all defeat the crave.

I drank anytime anywhere, so the crave can come always. My big crave is around 2 to 5 pm on Friday. That was party time.

Prescription meds help, I hear, but now I risk relapsing while on meds. They tell me that is deeper level of hell on earth because meds are scientifically designed and have ridiculous half life numbers blah blah.

Thanks.
Old 10-12-2022, 07:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

The important thing is you came right back AJ. You keep trying. Like others, I've been in this position many times myself. Things didn't change until I radically rethought my mindset around recovery.

For me, I fully accept and expect to find myself in situations and settings that are going to bring my AV roaring to the surface. I also expect that there are going to be random moments -- triggered by who-knows-what -- where my AV will just pop up out of nowhere. Unless I trap myself in a bubble, these things will happen. This mindset of acceptance and expectation sets me up so that these situations don't catch me off guard, and I can respond and deal with them in a way that doesn't end drinking.

Travel and most certainly stress are two things that will come up again. How will you be ready to protect your sobriety when they do?
Old 10-12-2022, 07:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear this, AJ.

As others have said, come up with some healthy things you can do when stressed.
Old 10-12-2022, 08:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you're here, AJ. It's easy to think it will be no big deal. Until we realize it is a big deal. Hope today is better for you. You can do this.
Old 10-12-2022, 04:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lily76 View Post
I am sorry you drank but new day new start pick yourself up dust yourself off and make this day count, just this day only just this day don't think of yesterday or tomorrow , do something nice for yourself , anything without the drink or drugs something you have not done in a long time , keep your self distracted and be kind to yourself
Hi Lily Thank you. I am so hard on myself... I did not drink today. In fact I was really productive given it was day 1 again. Thank you for reminding me to be kind to myself.
Old 10-12-2022, 04:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Think about other ways you could relieve stress and other ways to relax when you're not at home maybe?
Remember you can access SR anytime you have a internet device handy - phone, table, PC macbook.

Post before you drink.
I know it might be inconvenient to log in sometimes but we're all worth that effort, and so is your recovery

D
Thank you D. I have realized a lot through being sober most of last month. I get scared when I am sick. I was sick last week and it triggered fear and hence stress. I don't know the exact reason but when I was younger I had a "simple" thing I went to the Dr for and it turned into a really intense almost year in bed on bed rest and so I have a lot of triggers around my health. I am thinking of doing EDMR ( I think that is what it called ) Therapy....Thank you for reminding me I am worth it. It is really hard to feel that way sometimes
Old 10-12-2022, 04:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bobbieka View Post
Glad you're here, AJ. It's easy to think it will be no big deal. Until we realize it is a big deal. Hope today is better for you. You can do this.
Thank you. I didn't drink today
Old 10-12-2022, 04:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm sorry to hear this, AJ.

As others have said, come up with some healthy things you can do when stressed.
Thank you Anna. I am starting to think it is much deeper than figuring out other ways to destress. I have tried it all... I feel .... I think it is time to get back in therapy... There is a ton of trauma I have been through that I have haven't written about... and haven't dealt with... I have tried running, walking, working out, meditation, swimming.... I really think I need to do a lot of deep work... I didn't drink today which is good
Old 10-12-2022, 05:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mns1 View Post
The important thing is you came right back AJ. You keep trying. Like others, I've been in this position many times myself. Things didn't change until I radically rethought my mindset around recovery.

For me, I fully accept and expect to find myself in situations and settings that are going to bring my AV roaring to the surface. I also expect that there are going to be random moments -- triggered by who-knows-what -- where my AV will just pop up out of nowhere. Unless I trap myself in a bubble, these things will happen. This mindset of acceptance and expectation sets me up so that these situations don't catch me off guard, and I can respond and deal with them in a way that doesn't end drinking.

Travel and most certainly stress are two things that will come up again. How will you be ready to protect your sobriety when they do?
I think travel is hard for me. Being out of my element... Cozy go tos are gone... I think I need to perhaps plan better in terms of having my creature comforts around. I wrote in another post that I am starting to realize I need therapy. I think I have a lot in my mind and heart that are much deeper than I originally thought
Old 10-12-2022, 05:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
What helped me from day 1 until now to not relapse is believing the following...

Booze altered my brain permanently. There are connections that are forever damaged.

The connections were damaged by booze and now need the booze to feel "normal." The anxious/obsessive/insane etc. feelings I got from day 1 until now are those connections dealing with the lack of booze.

Thank you I didn't drink today so day 1 is done

This is the suffering some have spoken about. Getting through the suffering, the crave, is hell on earth.

The emotional response is defeated by the analysis. This is the left and right brain battling. This makes me feel crazy.

The only way I know to get through is suffering and time. It can take years to readjust and feel better. Relapse looms the whole time.

The good news is that beginning on day 1, there are moments of clarity/serenity. These moments get longer and longer. The suffering gets shorter and shorter.

Enjoying exercise, good food, entertainment, acts of kindness, AA meetings, etc. etc. all defeat the crave.

I drank anytime anywhere, so the crave can come always. My big crave is around 2 to 5 pm on Friday. That was party time.

Prescription meds help, I hear, but now I risk relapsing while on meds. They tell me that is deeper level of hell on earth because meds are scientifically designed and have ridiculous half life numbers blah blah.

Thanks.
Thank you... Day one almost done
Old 10-12-2022, 05:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
AJ, I have definitely been where you were/are and drank due to stress and for me it only made things worse on many levels and the stress was still there. Blah. I am so very happy you are back, I too have had a handful of day 1s, so I know and understand how hard it is (along with many members here I am sure) and how you feel. Now when I feel like "need" a I run that tape forward and backward of what happens when I drink. I also think about what the people here would say to me which really helps. Hang in there, you can do this.
Thank you.... all this support helps so much
Old 10-12-2022, 08:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

AJ, congrats on not drinking today.

Glad you made it back so quickly, the slope gets slippery so fast once you pick up. Keep going and add some more tools to your sober arsenal!

Day two- here you come!
Old 10-12-2022, 09:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VikingGF View Post
AJ, congrats on not drinking today.

Glad you made it back so quickly, the slope gets slippery so fast once you pick up. Keep going and add some more tools to your sober arsenal!

Day two- here you come!
. Thank you. I’m struggling right now. Not wanting to drink. Just feeling bummed out. Sad I relapsed. I don’t feel like drinking at all
Old 10-12-2022, 09:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The sadness will pass, AJ. You can take all the negative emotion from this relapse and turn it into gratitude that you don’t have the desire to drink. Use these feelings to your advantage, recall them if you must so you remember how much you wished you hadn’t drank if the urge comes again. It’s all a learning experience to help you from ever needing to have another day 1. You’re doing great.