Partner started naltrexone today

Old 06-12-2022, 10:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Partner started naltrexone today

Hello all, this is my first post.
My partner started naltrexone this morning and I'm trying to find ways to support him.
It's been an ongoing issue between us for over a year now, since I discovered around 2 dozen empty vodka bottles he was planning to get rid of in a duffle bag. He's been tapering on his own on and off, with varied success since then, but now that we're expecting our first baby he has prioritised recovery and getting to a point where he can reliably take me and/or baby in the car, let alone look after us.
For context, there was a period where there was no point during the day where he'd be below the legal limit - the fact that he's been able to drive me to work over the last few months is huge in itself. I am so, so proud of him for getting this far. It's been a rough period for us both emotionally, but I see what he's dealt with and am trying to be as supportive and gentle with him through this process as possible. Over our 3 years together he's never been anything but kind, patient, and gentle with me. He lifted me up from the lowest point I've ever been when we met, and never left my side. I owe him - and want to give him - the same patience and compassion.

He was prescribed naltrexone about a month or so ago after finally seeing a doctor. But as he has used it in the past he was afraid to start it, because of the side effects he knew were coming, so he put it off.
​​​​​​​He took his first dose this morning. He's currently in bed, fully clothed and curled up, at 3 in the afternoon. I want to help him feel better, but no idea how. He's said he feels ill, and tired but can't sleep.
Does anyone have experience looking after loved ones on this medication? What has helped?
All I can think of is to offer tea and to sit with him - but that just feels so empty and I feel like I'd just be annoying him.
If anyone has practical ideas to relieve the discomfort or help him sleep, please let me know.
Old 06-12-2022, 11:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to the forum, Aper.

You ask what to do to support your partner, your gut instinct is telling you to give him space, that is fine.

I encourage you to look after yourself especially as you are pregnant. Please have very low expectations of him quitting. From all you have shared, he does not sound like a person ready and willing to do the very hard work of quitting and then working a strong recovery program to support him in staying quit.

Is the doctor offering any support for him? He needs professional support and the support of fellow quitters in this very difficult journey.

My late alcoholic husband was on anti-craving meds for a few weeks while he was in hospital. He was brought home by ambulance transport and was pouring himself a whisky as the ambulance was starting its engine to drive away.

The real problem had not been addressed which is the thinking process that a person who uses alcohol has.

I hear what you say about how good he has been to you but please do look after yourself and your developing baby. A resource that a lot of us here have found very helpful is the Al-anon program and also the book "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie.

Wishing you all the best.
Old 06-12-2022, 11:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Aper, glad you found the forum.

I have no experience of anyone using naltrexone, but I'm unclear whether, up to this point, he has been sober for several months and he's just using naltrexone for craving control now?

Old 06-12-2022, 11:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have to take off but the reason I was asking is because if he is using it to stop drinking, starting today, the symptoms he is experiencing could be withdrawal. Withdrawal can be dangerous if he is not under medical supervision, as in he should be in contact with his doctor.

His doctor would have given him the naltrexone to avoid cravings when he quits, but it's been a month now. There are other drugs available that can help with withdrawal symptoms. I would recommend getting in touch with the doctor right away and asking him what he can prescribe to help with it (besides naltrexone). Withdrawal is very unpleasant, but if he has severe side effects, time to seek other solutions perhaps.
Old 06-13-2022, 03:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think in terms of what might be most helpful for your partner, it would be best to ask him or for you both to speak with his doctor. As trailmix said, alcohol withdrawal is a necessary but dangerous thing for someone who wants to get sober. I don't have any experience with any of my addicted loved ones using naltrexone, either, so I have no experience to share.

Please do take care of your own health during all this.
Old 06-13-2022, 04:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, I don't think the Naltrexone is causing the misery, it's likely withdrawals...and that can be life threatening and extremely uncomfortable. Is he using any other drugs to mitigate the withdrawals?

Detox can be done comfortably at home with medical support, but that's not what Naltrexone is for. I would talk to the doctor about detox meds.
Old 06-13-2022, 05:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It sounds like he could be in acute alcohol withdrawal also / instead? Many alcoholics are not honest about how much / if / when they are drinking, especially if they know it will get a strong negative reaction from their family.

The hidden bottles you found indicate he was very good at appearing sober, or only mildly intoxicated, when actually ingesting a lot. I suspect (as a former drinker myself) that he may still be drinking but has hidden it even better than before. That is the common pattern, and you would not believe how sneaky / clever people can be to keep drinking. Your description of “on and off” “with varying success” “ongoing for about a year now” suggests to me he really hasn’t made a true commitment to sobriety or recovery (two very different things) and is still trying to find ways to keep drinking. This won’t go away suddenly when the baby comes—not for long, anyway.

If he is not quitting because he really wants to for himself, and instead in response to an ultimatum from you or “for the baby”, as PW has cautioned, it may be better not to have all your plans dependent on his sobriety, and instead keep focus on you and the baby and have some back up plans and support in place. Anti-craving medication is not a solution but a tool—and it won’t work without his full commitment to not only stopping drinking, but dealing with the underlying issues that led to using drink as a coping mechanism in the first place. The stress and strain of having a new baby and responsibilities won’t make this any easier.

I strongly suggest he get outside support in therapy or some kind of group such as SMART Recovery, AA, etc.. since you cannot be his partner, co-parent, and therapist—you are not an addict or trained expert, and you are too emotionally involved with (soon) a baby to care for. You need extra help and support from him during this time—not the other way around. The suggested book—Codependent No More—can help you understand better what’s going on between you right now and I second the suggestion to read it ASAP.

I don’t want to be negative, and I truly hope he is the exception and seizes this opportunity to be a wonderful sober partner an father. His qualities of patience and gentleness are wonderful attributes for a future parent—he will need them in midnight diaper changes and all the stress and strain of learning the ropes of parenthood. Please keep posting and take care of you. Wishing you the very best—
Old 06-13-2022, 05:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have a prescription for naltrexone from my last bender but haven’t taken any. My Doctor prescribed benzodiazepines for the withdrawal. Alcohol withdrawal is extremely dangerous and should be medically supervised. My understanding of naltrexone is that the pleasure signal is blocked when you drink. I have no intentions of finding out if that is true. My XDIL received vivitrol shots and they had no effect on her alcohol consumption. I don’t think alcoholics care about pleasure or taste when drinking.

I hope all goes well but do educate yourself on alcoholism. No amount of love or care will help.

Old 06-13-2022, 11:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've taken Naltrexone and it worked for me. It doesn't work for everyone and it does have some intolerable side effects for some. If you use the search function above you'll find some interesting threads talking about Naltrexone.