Notices

Rehab

Old 10-26-2021, 11:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab

Who here has been and what are your stories/experiences?

I have been battling with alcohol for some time. This past year I have been sober more days than drunk, but its been some pretty bad binges. I am over this. It's gonna kill me. My best friends got together today and basically had an intervention.

They didn't say, it, but they said it. I've got to change. I can't do this alone. I have the means for an inpatient rehab stay. I don't want to go, but I have to. I am scared to death, but I need help and I see that.

Old 10-27-2021, 12:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never been but its saved a lot of my friends lives.
If you have the chance to go, why not take it?

It won;t cure you of course but it must just give you the tools to stop drinking and save your life

D
Old 10-27-2021, 12:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've not done inpatient rehab though I do know people who have done so and for whom it has worked.

As Dee has posted, if you have the chance to go, why not take it?

You sound like you want to stop for good (more days sober this year than drunk) but the binging is getting in the way of you achieving total sobriety. Rehab could be the thing that helps you finally achieve this.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Interventions are necessary at times and was
done to me 31 yrs ago. Family stepped in when
I was at my lowest and had threatened to end my
life and exit this world.

I had tried many times to quit drinking on my own
and failed so many times too.

The night before I had taken a handful of pills
and off to bed i went not thinking of the consequences
of my actions nor the impact it would have on
my family.

Unable for my 2 little ones to wake me, I heard
a faint ringing of the phone off in the distance
and yet it was right next to my bed.

Answering the phone with a groggy voice, i heard
my mother in law asking where I was with my little
one for their last day of bible school.

I tried to explain with my slurred voice and all I heard
was yelling for me to get out of bed which I quickly
did to go throw up everything in my system.

To this day, I believe that it was my Higher Power,
God of my understanding, calling me to let me know
that it wasn't my time to go and that He wasn't
through with me yet.

After that, I recall my husband, who had come home
from work to rush me to the hospital to get my stomach
pumped, but fought him with every ounce of strength
I had because I felt better and didn't need to go.

Before I knew it, after some time alone in the house,
in walked several officers with my husband and father
in law, letting me know that they obtained a court order
to take me to the hospital for evaluation for the frame
of mind I was in in wanting to end my life.

I felt backed in a corner and no where to run,
and had to comply to their orders. So, as I walked
passed my husband and father in law, I glared
into both their eyes with daggers and said something
like I hate you and off I followed the officers as they
set me in the backseat of their patrol car.

Where I was going, I had no idea, but I sat back
there behind a screen like a caged animal. Someone
who wouldn't hurt a flea. Tears flowing down my
cheek and glaring out the window and handless door.

We arrived at the hospital for evaluation but due
to it being late in the day, that would happen next
morning which meant I'd have to stay over night.

That first night was scary and uncertain for me because
this had never happened to me before. A strange place
walking amongst other patients whom didn't seemed
well.

Some rocking back and forth, others leaning against
the walls, still others shuffling across the floor. In my
heart, mind and soul, I felt surely I wasn't that far gone
like them.

The next morning I was evaluated and passed everything
with the exception of them letting me know that I only
had a drinking problem. Whew, I said to myself. Thanking
God It wasn't as bad as I thought.

They talked to me, explaining my addiction to alcohol
and that they would be keeping me for 2 weeks to teach
me all about it. I accepted my fate and just went with
the flow because I had no other choice.

I completed the 2 weeks when I was told that I wasnt
ready to return home, to the same environment to soon
and wanted to send me to a halfway house many more
miles away from my family.

I pleaded and promised that if they could keep me
where I was that I would do all I needed to do to
help myself, just dont send me further away.

Upon agreement, i stayed completing 28 days in
this rehab facility armed with knowledge that was
taught to me about addiction and it's affects on me
and those around me along with a program that I
could and would use on a daily bases to help me
achieve continuous sobriety.

While in rehab, folks that were doing service work
by picking up patients like myself to outside meetings
called Alcoholics Anonymous, well, one of those ladies
would become my sponsor.

Once I returned home to my little family, i was given
an ultimatum by my spouse that if i ever drank in the
house again that I would be out of the house.

Well, that ticked me off, a resentment that I had to
quickly get rid or else it would fester and cause me
to pick up poison again. Which I didnt want to do.

So, I used that threat to my advantage to do everything
I could possible do to remain sober no matter what and
I did.

31 yrs of continuous sobriety consisting of going to
countless step, big book, conventions, listening, learning,
absorbing and applying change to my life.

This process of achieving sobriety has been a journey.
Not a race, but one day at a time holding on to my recovery
lifelines, being surrounded by other like me with a purpose
to live life free from our addiction.

To find harmony in life. To use the tools and knowledge
taught to me from day one and building upon that by remaining
teachable, willing, openminded and most of all honest
in all my affairs.

I wanted what so many were achieving on a daily
bases in their own lives. To be happy, healthy and
sober breaking the chains of addiction that held me
prisoner for so long.

I was 30 yrs old when I entered this recovery life
and now some 31 yrs later, I have experiences,
strengths and hopes to pass on to others struggling
with addiction wanting to achieve continuous sobriety.

The same way so many did with me.

I couldnt have gotten to where I am today alone
or by myself and am grateful for my family for
placing me into the hands of those capable and
knowledgeable to teach me about my addiction
and hand me the gift of a recovery program to
use as a guideline for living a sober life.

My faith, AA and folks like you is what's keeping
me healthy, happy and sober filled with graditude
each day.

Old 10-27-2021, 03:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yep, 2 outpatients and 1 in patient. This will be long but I hope it helps in some way.

The in-patient was really intense, alot of drama and there were so many different personalities that you had to distance yourself from that. Wallet, keys, cell phone placed away, I did get a phone call during the 1st phase(detox) and I called my dad to make sure he had gotten home safely. I was in that part for a day and half before they moved me to the cabins with my roomates. I got extremely lucky and got awesome roomates who I got along with, but I heard a few serious arguments and folks just really not liking each other. Some people just simply didn't like each other and they made it known.

We had a process group every Monday-Thursday for an hour and a half. That was your safe haven to vent and it got extremely emotional in there. We all had to share stories that weren't pretty and the only rule was nothing inside that room got shared to other folks when you left.

You'll get a counselor/therapist who monitors your progress and assigns you homework assignments that they check. Its nothing complicated but it makes you think and write things down. They had a level system and you kept track of the classes/sessions that you attended and the instructor would either initial or stamp. I attended every single thing possible because the more involved I was, the better I was and not thinking about other things. You also got an extra phone call for 15 mins to touch base with someone. I got really emotional one Saturday afternoon because I knew my team was playing and I was missing it. It seems like a little thing but when something is taken away that you've watched your entire life, that stings a bit. We also watched some movies(The Tax Collector) and another one that I can't remember. The Tax Collector is a pretty damn intense movie so I thought it was bizarre they approved it.

I got up early every single morning around 5:30-6 because you had to check in for vitals and I was at my best in the morning. The one thing daily you didn't want to miss was vitals. I enjoyed coffee and doing my homework/reading in silence before everyone else started to get there.

One of the out patients was a complete joke. One of the counselors during sessions just kept on "well, that sucks" and moved on. Their go to was to come in and play some sort of DVD that was a 1,000 years old and didn't do anything. So, what did you think of that DVD? Well, it was roughly 1,000 years old and I could barely follow along but it was outstanding. How are you feeling right now ? I'm great and the same as I was about 10 mins ago.

Another person working there was really aggressive and down right mean with some comments he made towards patients. He had been sober for a long time and that was spectacular but I thought he was a complete ******* and I let him know it. I let the head nurse know about it and she said I wasn't the only one that felt way, he was a dick.

Outpatient is alot tougher because you go there from roughly 8 and then leave at 4. You then go to the store, etc and alcohol is right there, its tough. Inpatient you are literally in a bubble with no communication and no clue what's happening in the world. There would be 3-4 day old newspapers where I could read about things going on but we were lucky to get that. Mail was handed out at dinner time and it was like Christmas getting something. They checked everything and made sure you weren't getting anything bad. I had wintergreen mints shipped and the guy that checked the package said nope. Rather funny to me since folks were getting cigs in large packages shipped and that was perfectly fine.

After about 2-3 days, I started to get the flow and figure out what was going on. There were alot of helpful people who made it better but I would hear one thing and it was completely incorrect. I learned how to adapt there and just roll with certain things. I did laugh alot about many situations and folks would crack jokes. The HR was non-existent so there was a ton of jokes and some out there things but you just had to roll with it. We called it van therapy and the drivers were super funny so that helped. One female driver would say "Freaking get out" when she dropped you off. She was hilarious and said it in a sarcastic tone that always cracked me up.

I did meet some really incredible folks in my rehabs. A ton of people that helped you out and tried to lead you the correct way. I read some books and just shared my story with folks. Everyone had a different story and that was certainly therapy to get it out.

Sorry again for the novel but I hope it helps in some way. If you have any questions, you can certainly private message me. I'll do my best to answer anything you have. If you are gonna hook up with someone, at least make sure all your clothes are picked up before you leave the scene. My attempt at some slight humor, and no, I was not involved.

Old 10-27-2021, 03:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One final thing: There will be times when a person(s) annoy the crap out of you and you are in a session and there's really nothing you can do about it. I guess you could leave the session but that doesn't help anything and the counselor takes note of it. Its a test of patience and just blocking it out.

There was alot of things there but I thought it was important to share what I've gone through.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What happens after you get out is very important. At one time long in the past, people talked about "taking the cure." Rehab is not the cure. It's just a start. The choices you make after you get home may be where it really begins. If you can manage it, it's an opportunity to learn how to get your feet on the ground. If I were running my own rehab facility, I would emphasize making plans for what you are going to do when you get out. Maybe they do that. At least I hope they do that in rehab.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm in outpatient right now and it helped a lot.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been to rehab several times. Not proud of that, but it is what it is. Each rehab was different. Since I couldn't afford high end rehab, I had to deal with some tough characters but most people were real nice. Rehab offers a nice structure that I needed. Get up at a certain time and attend the groups. You quickly figure out who's there to get sober, and others that are there to just put in time. Between the great therapy and dealing with these negative people, I grew a lot and learned a lot about me. I found out that I was much stronger than I thought I was. Helped me to see what my potential was. Without rehab, I never what I was capable of. John
Old 10-27-2021, 04:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies.

I spoke to one place today and they seemed pushy to get me to sign up and pay them. Then I checked the online reviews and they were either really good of really bad. My ex is here now and we were discussing the reviews. She made the comment that all those places have bad reviews due to the nature of being there. I don't know if I buy into that theory.

How long do you normally stay there? It seems like 30 days is the minimum.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Never been to one I just wanted to stop in and say I am glad you are still in the fight.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Never been to one I just wanted to stop in and say I am glad you are still in the fight.
Thank you sir. This has been a battle but I am hoping this is it for me. I have an amazing group of friends and we've talked about it a lot in the last 24 hours. I am finally seeking professional help, which is what my plan was months ago when I signed up on this site, but I never followed through. Yesterday was an eye opener for sure.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Definitely do research and ask questions. Look for real pictures and not photo shop copy paste ones.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

As trite as it sounds, rehab is what you make of it. So it’s not surprising you’d see reviews that vary from great to horrible.

That place was doing its job to get you in the door ASAP. Just imagine how often people must make that call, then back out. Thinking things aren’t all that bad after all. It’s the nature of addiction, right?

I did not ‘enjoy’ rehab, but that wasn’t the point. I really sincerely wanted to get better and that took an awful lot of discomfort on my part. It was worth it, even with all of the drama inherent in a facility full of sick people. In the end, it’s a matter of making it work for yourself, not hoping passively that it will work for you, if that makes sense.

In the US, I think the standard is 28 days, but they can’t actually force you to stay. I’d say 4 weeks is insufficient time, but it’s a good running start.

It’s nothing to be afraid of, really… but I get why you would feel like that. I did too.

O
Old 10-27-2021, 10:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
As trite as it sounds, rehab is what you make of it. So it’s not surprising you’d see reviews that vary from great to horrible.

That place was doing its job to get you in the door ASAP. Just imagine how often people must make that call, then back out. Thinking things aren’t all that bad after all. It’s the nature of addiction, right?

I did not ‘enjoy’ rehab, but that wasn’t the point. I really sincerely wanted to get better and that took an awful lot of discomfort on my part. It was worth it, even with all of the drama inherent in a facility full of sick people. In the end, it’s a matter of making it work for yourself, not hoping passively that it will work for you, if that makes sense.

In the US, I think the standard is 28 days, but they can’t actually force you to stay. I’d say 4 weeks is insufficient time, but it’s a good running start.

It’s nothing to be afraid of, really… but I get why you would feel like that. I did too.

O
Good post and I agree with everything you said. After some further discussion today with my friends, Im leaning towards going to a local therapist, getting evaluated, seeing about some meds, and go to counseling. Does that sound like a decent plan? Just this year I have had a 65 day and 35 day stint of sobriety, so I know can I do it from a physical thing. Now that I have laid it all out with my friends and have a counselor to hold me accountable, I think I can do it. I'd even consider outpatient. I listened to my first AA meeting tonight on Zoom. I am not sure that's for me, but I am going to give it a few more tries. If anything, it takes up an hour of my time at night when I'm in bed.

I't the same issue we all have. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I turned 44 today and its really starting to wear me down. We all know its poison. My kidneys are sore and I finally ate some chicken and rice tonight.

Day one, yet again, is past. Hopefully the last one.

I keep telling myself this, and fishkiller I'm pretty sure who says it "I'm not going to drink today." Thats it. Don't make it so complicated.
Old 10-28-2021, 12:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

^
I know you'll not be feeling how you want to feel on a birthday, but happy birthday for today birddawg. Why not make this the year you change your life around? Do whatever you need to do to achieve that, whether it is inpatient rehab, outpatient rehab or counselling and AA meetings. Whichever route you choose to take, perhaps make a plan and constantly work on it to achieve what it is you want?
Old 10-28-2021, 07:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday!
What better present than a future of freedom!
Old 10-28-2021, 08:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Rehab is not a luxury resort. It is a safe place for sick
people looking to learn how to get well and free from
what their illness is. For me and others with dependency
on a toxic, controlling, poisonous substance such as
alcohol, prescription meds or drugs.

This rehab facility, rehabilitation center that I attended
was equipped with councilors to take us thru a daily
program of teaching us how to live life each day without
reaching for that poison of choice.

While there, I had no idea what to expect, but learned
how to follow instructions, routine, how to handle feelings,
esp. since we are sensitive people. There was also lessons
on how to handle people, places and things that would
normally lead us to drinking or using.

Recovery is not just about not drinking anymore.

Once the alcohol or drugs are removed from our lives
then we are left with ourselves. Can we live with ourselves
without that dependency?

To have folks teach me healthy way of how to do that
and remain sober for 31 yrs. is priceless.

28 days in rehab plus a 6 week outpatiant program
is what help set me on the path of recovery to continue
learning with willingness, openmindedness and honesty.

And this process didnt happen over night.

Find what will work for you and build upon it to become
the best, healthiest person you can possibly be not only
for yourself but for those around you.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by birddawg View Post
Good post and I agree with everything you said. After some further discussion today with my friends, Im leaning towards going to a local therapist, getting evaluated, seeing about some meds, and go to counseling. Does that sound like a decent plan?
Not really. Sounds like a plan for more of the same. I've had years of therapy on and off - it doesn't do much of anything really. An occasional nugget at a far higher cost per hour than AA group meetings.

Just this year I have had a 65 day and 35 day stint of sobriety, so I know can I do it from a physical thing. Now that I have laid it all out with my friends and have a counselor to hold me accountable
How will they hold you accountable?

I think I can do it. I'd even consider outpatient. I listened to my first AA meeting tonight on Zoom. I am not sure that's for me, but I am going to give it a few more tries.
Outpatient would help. AA is very good. Taking concrete steps is what makes a difference. Don't listen to your AV tell you it's not for you. Of course it doesn't want you in AA. You might actually stop drinking..

Best of luck in this. You still have half your life to enjoy and be productive.

Old 10-28-2021, 02:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Thanks, advbike - I was thinking the same thing.

birddawg,
I've done all this. Plenty of people warned me that what I was doing was More of the Same and Not Enough. I really really thought I was doing all the right things and that it was good enough to get and keep me sober. I wasn't. But I had to learn that for myself; I hope you are more sensible than I was.

Friends and a counselor can not be relied on to keep you sober. How would they do that? You're the one in control (the only one in control) of what you put in your body. If you're anything like me, you'll be in the awkward position of apologizing to people for reneging on the deal. Then what? The power of "I can't possibly tell my buddies I screwed up" is gone. It works until it doesn't work, you know?

Therapy helped me immensely with a lot of things and gave me a good set of 'tools' (insights) to help me with sobriety - once I got well and truly sober. But the therapist couldn't do anything more than my friends and family could. It was still me deciding (against my better judgement, against my own wishes it seemed) to drink again. What was the therapist going to do? Threaten to stop seeing me? We talked about that, and I said quite honestly, "If you put stipulations on this thing, I'm out." He understood that - because he's a good therapist.

The first bargain I made after an 'intervention' was to go to IOP. I stayed sober for three months, graduated, then drank again. Things only got worse from there. More worse than I hope you will ever know. That was five years of hell I'd never wish on anyone.

Think about it.
What is the reason (the real true, deep down reason) you don't want to go to rehab?
Who is striking the bargain here? You or your addiction?

O