Notices

Transparency/accountability

Old 09-06-2021, 12:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Transparency/accountability

I did not make it through day 6. I relapsed on August 21st. I've managed 11 or 12 days AF since then, but still not getting to the 1 week mark. I'm signed off work at the moment and due back in 2 weeks. I feel very alone just now as no one I am close to knows where I'm at. The only thing I can really do is try again tomorrow. Last time I relapsed I went from one or two drinking sessions in the evening per week to daily drinking, morning drinking and taking time out from work just to drink within a 3 month period. I wish I could afford a 14 day detox so I'm supervised and have some diazepam....

Anyone out there in my situation right now??!
Old 09-06-2021, 12:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have had maybe 10 relapses in 2 years. Maybe 65 % drinking 35 % sober. Not exactly sure. I sort of count days but not religiously because I’m not sure it helps.

It’s maddening to keep failing. Usually it starts off with a few beers and ends up at 10 or 12 a day. My wife is sick of it and sick of hearing about it. The whole process sucks because it takes a week to get back to normalish. Sleep food etc.

My kids hate it too. Just because they have seen me get to be a real pain in the ass before. They don’t want to be around it. Good news is they don’t drink.

Most people recommend AA if you can’t afford rehab. If you have insurance they might cover it. Or just go to a clinic and ask the doctor to have mercy on you.

I’m trying to do the same as you and figure out what to do differently this time. AA did help me some.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Khorhey View Post
Have had maybe 10 relapses in 2 years. Maybe 65 % drinking 35 % sober. Not exactly sure. I sort of count days but not religiously because I’m not sure it helps.

It’s maddening to keep failing. Usually it starts off with a few beers and ends up at 10 or 12 a day. My wife is sick of it and sick of hearing about it. The whole process sucks because it takes a week to get back to normalish. Sleep food etc.

My kids hate it too. Just because they have seen me get to be a real pain in the ass before. They don’t want to be around it. Good news is they don’t drink.

Most people recommend AA if you can’t afford rehab. If you have insurance they might cover it. Or just go to a clinic and ask the doctor to have mercy on you.

I’m trying to do the same as you and figure out what to do differently this time. AA did help me some.
thanks Khorhey. I may see local drug and alcohol service to get signed up for a detox....thing is it would take 6 months waiting time. I could do this myself with the help of AA though, I need to - I need to start.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have you considered Antabuse? I have used it and it scares you into not drinking if taken as prescribed.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, I have used Acamprosate before. Not Antabuse. To be honest I'm trying to move away from drugs as well, even if prescription. Thanks for your suggestion. X
Old 09-06-2021, 01:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you're back. If you think AA would help you, then go for it. Do whatever it takes. It could also help if you are able to figure out what is happening that is leading you back to drinking again. You could try to come up with a plan for yourself that would help prevent you relapsing and enable you to get beyond the one week mark. :P
Old 09-06-2021, 01:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not sure about where you live, but I went to the local hospital here to detox once. I wanted to go to the treatment center but there were no rooms available, so the hospital helped instead. I've also gone to my doctor several times to get prescriptions to help me through withdrawal. That at least gets you off the alcohol so you can get started on long-term recovery. It won't be any use until/unless you do that last part. I know this from experience. Wishing you the very best.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm glad that you're back. If you think AA would help you, then go for it. Do whatever it takes. It could also help if you are able to figure out what is happening that is leading you back to drinking again. You could try to come up with a plan for yourself that would help prevent you relapsing and enable you to get beyond the one week mark. :P
hi Anna. Thank you. I think it is that feeling of wanting to be high and at a pub surrounded by others. Loneliness and no hobbies are major factors I'm thinking.. so, i could arrange to meet friends and get out walking around the park at high speed 😅 I can't pass by pubs for the first 2 weeks. Thanks!!
Old 09-06-2021, 01:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As you're in the UK, your local health authority should have it's own alcohol addiction service. You possibly already know who the service provider is but if not there is a search facility on the NHS website. The search results often include other sources of local support.

https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/ot...ionSearch/1805 (Mods / admin: please remove link if it breaks forum rules)

Good luck, I often kept relapsing at around the week or two week mark. I still do although I did achieve 6 months of sobriety earlier this year. I found it easier once I got through the initial two or three weeks and I posted a lot and read a lot at SR to do that.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KAD65 View Post
Not sure about where you live, but I went to the local hospital here to detox once. I wanted to go to the treatment center but there were no rooms available, so the hospital helped instead. I've also gone to my doctor several times to get prescriptions to help me through withdrawal. That at least gets you off the alcohol so you can get started on long-term recovery. It won't be any use until/unless you do that last part. I know this from experience. Wishing you the very best.
thank you. I can use alcohol and drug services but waiting time for detox here is 6 months. I do have Promethazine (low dose of 10mg) on prescription so maybe I need to be using this every day at the moment instead of occasionally.... thank you 😊
Old 09-06-2021, 01:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
As you're in the UK, your local health authority should have it's own alcohol addiction service. You possibly already know who the service provider is but if not there is a search facility on the NHS website. The search results often include other sources of local support.

https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/ot...ionSearch/1805 (Mods / admin: please remove link if it breaks forum rules)

Good luck, I often kept relapsing at around the week or two week mark. I still do although I did achieve 6 months of sobriety earlier this year. I found it easier once I got through the initial two or three weeks and I posted a lot and read a lot at SR to do that.
thanks Robbie64. This is a good reminder...it does take 2-3 weeks I agree.. I do know the service I should use but the waiting time for detox is at least 6 months. I need to return to work in 2 weeks so the pressure is on! I have Promethazine on prescription, I have SR so I CAN do this. My job is on the line as I've taken so much time off over the last few years. God help me basically. Wishing you the best too!
Old 09-06-2021, 02:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you drank but I'm glad you made it back.
I know 6 days can seem a lifetime, but its not...don't fall for the line that this is the best you're going to feel or that this is the way sober life will be, forever.

It gets better...but probably not in 6 days

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-distance.html (Keep your eyes on the middle distance)
Old 09-06-2021, 03:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up either. You made a solid 5/6 days and I bet your body thanks you for it. Hydrate and get something to eat.
Old 09-06-2021, 03:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee74 and jtennery.....I will take this advice and fight forward with realistic expectations! ....even though I had these already, but addiction is stronger than realism, I think. I can only try again! 22:24 was my last consumption of alcohol. Pizza, water, painkillers, sleep. I will see what I can achieve this time... 😌
Old 09-06-2021, 05:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Whether somebody goes to rehab or AA or something else, either that light comes on or it doesn't. If you really want that light to come on, and you show up for meeting after meeting and do what is suggested its probably going to come on.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Getting sober is HARD work.
What I found to be helpful was a structured schedule that had each hour accounted for.
Mornings were devoted to SR
Exercise
Breakfast
Work
Home to a bath
dinner
AA meeting and SR
Bed

I attended meetings for the first few months and then developed my own program to keep me sane and healthy.

You can do this. You can get sober and be free from your addiction. Do not be defeated. Keep on moving forward.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks RecklessDrunk and Mizz.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

sounds very familiar to me tbh........ i have only just got a doctor, but they are reluctant to give me antidepressants that i feel i relly need....because of the drink and drugs i have been using......
i do hope you get where you want to go...........all the best!
Old 09-09-2021, 11:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lonelyfella View Post
sounds very familiar to me tbh........ i have only just got a doctor, but they are reluctant to give me antidepressants that i feel i relly need....because of the drink and drugs i have been using......
i do hope you get where you want to go...........all the best!
I used antidepressants for 20 odd years...the long term use triggered mania and psychosis, we are all different of course.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i hear ya...i was thinking more in the short term (but i know that could change)........ i just feel that they may help me get back motivated....
at least take the edge of my sadness/loneliness....