how to be thoughtful about it?

Old 07-20-2021, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sage

how to be thoughtful about it?

I am wondering if anyone would like to share some wisdom about how to be thoughtful in recovery as far as other habits? So what I mean is that with an addictive personality, I abstain from alcohol and drugs; I've been working very hard at my codependency issues; and I've become aware of other ways I attempt to "numb out," with food, social media, shopping, sex. Some things I simply don't do any more, like games or social media. Other things, I try to be more thoughtful and have intention, like with food (erm, one must eat). And it's been 5 weeks since I've seen my XABF (he's started leaving msgs, but never responded to my request to talk about my feelings about the alcohol and the blackouts and the proposal he doesn't remember; his only response was to say "it was late night talk." He's no longer part of my life).

How do you approach something like a new relationship? A friend has asked me to tutor them to prepare for a professional certification. I hadn't seen this person in over a year and they approached me because I'd worked with them before; it's meant to be as paid work. They were completely unaware I'd broken up with XABF.

The sidebar is that I had a relationship with them before; I ended it because I was spiraling into an unhealthy codependency. I felt at that time like I was a booty call. There has been a shift. This person now seems to honestly want other parts of a friendship like having meals together or doing things other than sex, although sex would be a very nice part of it. And this person has definitely indicated interest in more this time around. I trust this person to be honest. There weren't chemical dependencies involved before. I'm attempting to be thoughtful about this -- I don't necessarily want or need a traditional relationship, but I need to know that I will be seen as a person and not just as a hot water tap.

I really want to be honest and intentional going forward. At this point, all I've agreed to is the tutoring.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hmm believe me when I say I understand the desire for a booty call. That said, from what I read of this post, I wouldn't advise this particular one. You're only 5 weeks out from your XABF. That's not a ton of time for processing everything you've experienced, and prime time for a rebound. This particular person seems to make it a little more complicated from the get go, because you've had past experiences with them.

If I were in your position I'd ask myself what exactly I want from this person, and why. You mentioned not wanting to just be on tap, which would be more than a booty call, but you don't necessarily want a normal relationship. What does that definition mean to you? Is it the same definition that person has? If you really want to pursue anything with them, I'd be as blunt as possible and just ask directly. There's a big difference between wanting to be a booty call vs friends with benefits vs a more committed relationship. Are any of those something you actually want or are ready for? Are they for this other person?

I'd also ask yourself how much of this is tangled up with how you're feeling about your ex. Additionally, if this is supposed to be about paid work, I'd really advice against a relationship. That can really muddy the waters when money gets involved. At minimum I'd table anything relationship-wise until the business stuff is done.

ps: As a side note, I really wouldn't recommend sleeping with an active tutor. It makes for a terrible learning environment. For some reason I always end up remembering my tutors, but for the life of me can't recall what we were studying. A mystery to be sure. 🤔
Old 07-20-2021, 08:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sage

Originally Posted by Cookie314 View Post
You're only 5 weeks out from your XABF. That's not a ton of time for processing everything you've experienced, and prime time for a rebound. This particular person seems to make it a little more complicated from the get go, because you've had past experiences with them.
Cookie, thank you for sharing your thoughts about this. I'm really trying to be thoughtful about this whole process of healing, learning, and being a better person. To clarify, I'm not looking for a booty call. I'm looking for friendship and possibly a relationship. In the past I broke it off with this person because I felt I was a booty call to them (and I hadn't yet learnt how to be skillful enough to express my boundaries and needs).

This whole process has been difficult because I've had to learn how to be mindful and respect boundaries, and I've had to let many unhealthy friendships go. I've also had to learn not to use my family members as therapists, so I no longer have anyone to run these kind of scenarios past, and sometimes what makes sense in my head might not always make sense irl.

If I were in your position I'd ask myself what exactly I want from this person, and why. You mentioned not wanting to just be on tap, which would be more than a booty call, but you don't necessarily want a normal relationship. What does that definition mean to you? Is it the same definition that person has? If you really want to pursue anything with them, I'd be as blunt as possible and just ask directly. There's a big difference between wanting to be a booty call vs friends with benefits vs a more committed relationship. Are any of those something you actually want or are ready for? Are they for this other person?
I'm not certain I believe in the whole white picket fence fairy tale any more. As a widow with children, I've not let them meet anyone I date, for the reason that I want to make certain that anyone they meet is someone who would be a good parent and would even want to take on that role. (Obviously XABF didn't make the cut. He had a darling little son but I just couldn't bring myself to let XABF meet my children). So if I have any relationship, it would have to be kept separate from my life with my children until / if / when I felt it would be a lasting and healthy relationship. So I'm not looking for a booty call or a FWB; but I can't say I'm interviewing for a replacement parent because I just don't know that I will find that.

I do know that for me it would be nice to meet someone that could be a friend and potential companion. I will have to be blunt, as you say, and (after the consulting part is completed) ask this person what are they really looking to get out of all of this. I do know that they are kind - hearted, and somewhat socially awkward, so it's entirely possible I misunderstood and they did not mean for it to feel like a booty call. They did ask if they could take me to dinner after the consulting is completed, so it's possible things they have realised things didn't make me happy the last go around.

I'd also ask yourself how much of this is tangled up with how you're feeling about your ex.
A good point. A very good point. Luckily the consulting part will take several weeks so I have some time to think about this. And I will think about this.

Additionally, if this is supposed to be about paid work, I'd really advice against a relationship. That can really muddy the waters when money gets involved. At minimum I'd table anything relationship-wise until the business stuff is done.
I have been pretty clear that the work part of this needs to be done in public (I don't have my own offices, as I generally work from home). TBH, they have pretty good boundaries about this, as it's business related and critical for their business to go forward.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Let's say you have that conversation with him at some point after your first dinner. He might say he is actually interested in a relationship, or not sure or whatever he thinks.

If what you want is a real relationship with someone, then go with that, don't settle for anything less. If he is not interested in being in one, if he is not sure, I really hope you move along. I would hate to see you get hurt again. Not because he's not interested in you, not because you might not make a good couple but because putting your intent in to practice is good for you (and for him as an aside).

Let's say that is what he is interested in as well, how about taking it really slowly? No need to rush, let him show, by his actions over time that is really what this is about. Once you trust that it is, then you get to decide what you want to do.

Though he may be a really trustworthy person in general, perhaps just make sure you are comfortable.

Old 07-21-2021, 12:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

They were completely unaware I'd broken up with XABF.
To be honest, I wonder about this...
Old 07-21-2021, 06:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sage

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
To be honest, I wonder about this...
So I'm interested why you would wonder this . . . sometimes I'm not great at seeing the red flags
Old 07-21-2021, 07:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

^ just instinct, the fact that it was mentioned, the coincidence of timing, and a suspicious nature
Old 07-21-2021, 07:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
sage

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
^ just instinct, the fact that it was mentioned, the coincidence of timing, and a suspicious nature
It did seem a coincidence, and I don't believe in coincidences.

I did go through this cycle last year, when I broke up with XABF and dated this person. I guess the Universe is giving me another shot to get it right this time.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sage1969 View Post
I guess the Universe is giving me another shot to get it right this time.
My experience is that things go more smoothly and with little drama when I know what I want and am at peace about what I want - nevermind, what all everyone else is up to. Do you want another shot at a relationship with this person?
Old 07-22-2021, 11:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It seems....and, all that I have seen, personally, is that relationships that don't work the first time around---almost never work out the second time around. I think that must be because there was a Reason that it didn't work, the first time, for a reason. That reason would still be there, the second time around---unless Both parties had made some deep life altering changes in the meantime.

Here is what I have observed in those relationships for just occasional companionship and some Horizonal Tango---is that someone almost always gets more hurt than the other. As--the very nature of the relationship implies no deep commitment. Even though each person may loudly exclaim---"No strings attached"----It is hard for a relationship to be perfectly symmetrical on both sides. It seems that one person will want a little bit more than the other one---and, that can lead to some conflict or dissatisfaction in the relationship contract. That person who wants just a little more will end up feeling that they are getting the shorter end of the stick.
We humans are wired to never like getting the short end of the stick. lol.
I have seen this play out over and over.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

We humans are wired to never like getting the short end of the stick. lol.
But, every relationship has this - even people married for 50 years...right? So...?
Old 07-22-2021, 12:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

The way I see it...yes---no relationship is absolutely 100 per cent symmetrical, if one is to measure it very, very carefully.
It just seem to me that when a couple has a great degree of satisfaction on both sides---they are not very interested in quibbling about the smallish differences.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
sage

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
It seems....and, all that I have seen, personally, is that relationships that don't work the first time around---almost never work out the second time around. I think that must be because there was a Reason that it didn't work, the first time, for a reason. That reason would still be there, the second time around---unless Both parties had made some deep life altering changes in the meantime . . . someone almost always gets more hurt than the other. As--the very nature of the relationship implies no deep commitment. Even though each person may loudly exclaim---"No strings attached"----It is hard for a relationship to be perfectly symmetrical on both sides. It seems that one person will want a little bit more than the other one---and, that can lead to some conflict or dissatisfaction in the relationship contract.
Learning about making thoughtful relationships has not been an intuitive process. I've had to do quite a bit of reading and research, to teach myself how to make mindful and meaningful connections, negotiate ground rules, all of it. I now know that I have made many changes in how I think and live and treat others, and I'm pretty vigilant about letting others into this hard - won space unless they play nicely. As far as I can tell, with the conversations I've had with this person, they are communicating in a better way and being pretty thoughtful in answering questions I have. Or it could have been last time I was so twisted up in my own behaviors that I flat missed the communication that was being attempted. I do know I'm really thinking about what I want for boundaries.

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
The way I see it...yes---no relationship is absolutely 100 per cent symmetrical, if one is to measure it very, very carefully.
It just seem to me that when a couple has a great degree of satisfaction on both sides---they are not very interested in quibbling about the smallish differences.
Dandy, this! It really comes down to respecting yourself as much as your partner, letting go of the small stuff, and having a nurturing and careful perspective.

All I can see is that it though might be really hard for me to do this, not because I can't be alone or need other people to make me whole, but because I actually really like this person and find them to be good company.

This is a book that was recommended to me (I haven't read it yet but thought I'd share): Relationship Dancing, Mark Michael Lewis, about creating conscience relationships