Notices

Say Hello to my little feet

Old 05-14-2021, 07:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Say Hello to my little feet

All of us have had tough times. Many are still in the midst of some truly painful battles.

Sometimes it helps to laugh a little. I am willing to swear under oath that after 2 plus months off booze, my feet are saying thank you.

I just had one of the most stressful & frenetic days - on the back end of a week that was a rough period at work and home. I “celebrated” a personal milestone - without booze, feeling alone, isolated & revisiting the alcohol fueled reasons that pushed away most of the people that I care about over the years.

6pm comes around and I finally manage to finish the triage of the day. I log off and was sitting in my home office - in a mental state that would have previously led to a couple of quick craft beers followed by a bottle or two of wine (at least). Probably a couple of shots of Irish as well. It’s Friday!

I would have normally been well on the way to oblivion by now - My “reward” for surviving another hellish week.

I’m working from home - my video conferencing setup is desk height - so beneath the waist I’m in sweatpants and barefoot.

And for some weird reason - I’m looking down at my feet and I notice that they actually look reasonably human. This is coming from a man who had cracked heels that could be compared with the Grand Canyon & toes that spent several decades in Rugby boots which - I can assure you - did not lead to photogenic little piggies. But today I would not be entirely against the notion of a flip flop or two. No beauties to be sure - but my feet are surprisingly better.

Is this some bizarre side benefit of sobriety I ask myself? And then I start to laugh - literally out loud. I guess that in line with reduced BP/HR, better complexion, lower weight etc. my lower extremities have decided to get in on the action.

So - Happy Friday to all. I’m sorry if you’re having a bad week. This forum always reminds me to take a moment to breathe. I’m inspired daily by the posts and experiences that I read here.

We all get better with abstinence - sometimes in unexpected ways. Evidenced in my case by the fact I can walk around the house sockless for the first time in a while. If it wasn’t utterly weird - I’d be tempted to show the neighbours

Of actual importance? I didn’t drink today. Thanks feet.

Be well folks.

Old 05-14-2021, 07:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that Sloinge
Old 05-14-2021, 07:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post. When I quit, a few hard months passed and then I started noticing soooooo many things about me that looked better, stronger, healthier, more... human. And I stopped feeling like an old woman. I feel... right. 🙌
Old 05-14-2021, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Love it. Noticing and reflecting on positive outcomes as you build up sober days is awesome. Keep doing that!

If you had known you could have taken a before pic of those babies... I did that with my face (lol) and the improvements over a year is remarkable. Alcohol really does mess with the skin.

I’ve gained a lot of muscle back as well.

Happy Friday!
Old 05-14-2021, 08:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Happy feet 🐧
Old 05-14-2021, 08:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's amazing how many aspects of our lives improve with continued sobriety. My life is better in so many ways.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's awesome! I hope my feet follow suit haha!
Old 05-14-2021, 10:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Common Pre Sobriety Maxim:

“Look up to the Stars, Not Down at Your Feet”

It looks like you’ve really turned things round Sloinge!

congrats on your sober time.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Sloinge, great post. I quit drinking due to these Friday sessions. Oblivion. Week after week of Friday oblivions. Great to hear about your improving feet. Get those flip-flops bought!
Old 05-15-2021, 02:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Booze is a govt sanctioned neurotoxin. It is poison. The minute we drink it our body is trying to get rid of it using all of our internal anti inflammatory capabilities. This take a toll on our ability to handle other things (e.g. catching a cold/covid).

No more poison, the body can fix things that are less of a priority...like your piggies.

My hair grew in better after about 3 years. My eyes are bright white. My nails are perfect. My gums are pink.

Sugary stuff poisons us too, but I used sugar to get over the drinking recovery process that was hell for about 3 years.

I am heavily kindled. I might only have half a good brain left for all I know.

I don't have another relapse in me. I would likely go crazy and not make it out.

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I couldn't even look at myself in the mirror. These small / big things certainly give one more motivation or the feeling that you are really worth it. I had person pull me to one side a month ago and ask how I got into such good condition. I told her I don't drink and just exercise regularly. I never really spoke to this person so much before but she made a real point of asking me directly. Before I quit drinking and started exercising I was a train wreck in total slow motion.

So walk around with no socks, totally enjoy it. It is the best feeling ever when you achieve something that really means something to you. Your mental and physical transformation will continue.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I love this thread!
Thank you Sloinge!
Old 05-16-2021, 11:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wonderful post sloinge. It's amazing what our bodies can do, given half a chance.