Egg on my face

Old 05-06-2021, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Egg on my face

Good morning, everyone.
I am sharing a recent experience in the hope that it will help someone else avoid a rabbit hole.
I am sober 7 years this past March. My life has been very good since then, and I am blessed to be reaping the fruits of some positive choices.
I took in a roommate the third week of March. I knew the guy had a criminal record, but believe that people need second chances in life.

He claimed to be sober a number of years from Meth and Alcohol. He claimed he had led AA meetings.

I thought, "GREAT!" I am all about recovery. This would be a good arrangement.

He was here about two weeks when I noticed the mood swings and an occasional whiff of alcohol.

Three weeks ago, on a Friday, he told me he was going out of state to visit a friend. The next day, I got a call from him that he was stranded about 60 miles from here and "didn't have his car."

I asked him what happened. He told me he had been picked up for a DUI (DWI) and his car had been impounded, He asked me to come get him. At that point, my recovery kicked in, and I told him "no," that he had created this mess and he could figure out how to get home.

When he got home, I served him with a 30 day notice to vacate. I asked him what triggered him going back to alcohol. He admitted that he had never quit.

The following week, he took a train back to his hometown and arrived here in ANOTHER car he had gotten out of storage.

Last weekend, he took THAT car out of town, was picked up on another DUI, and THAT car was impounded. That's two DUI's and two cars impounded in two weeks.

An old girlfriend from out of state invited him to stay with her, and he moved out yesterday. I consider myself extremely fortunate for the lessons I have learned from this experience.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yikes. Glad you’re free of that and were able to get him out! One thought…put a freeze on your credit? Or there’s that thing which isn’t a complete freeze but requires creditors to get more proof of identification before issuing new credit, I can’t remember what the exact term is. I put that in place with all three credit bureaus after my mother died and my financial information was spread all over the place while clearing up her estate.

He had access to everything in your house, so better safe than even sorrier, right?
Old 05-06-2021, 10:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
Yikes. Glad you’re free of that and were able to get him out! One thought…put a freeze on your credit? Or there’s that thing which isn’t a complete freeze but requires creditors to get more proof of identification before issuing new credit, I can’t remember what the exact term is. I put that in place with all three credit bureaus after my mother died and my financial information was spread all over the place while clearing up her estate.

He had access to everything in your house, so better safe than even sorrier, right?

Thanks Aries. Very good advice.
He didn’t have access to anything of mine that he could use for credit.
I am very careful with passwords and other information.
Thanks again!!!
Old 05-06-2021, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No egg on your face Eauchiche. You were kind enough to offer someone a second
chance and they were dishonest. We don't have built in lie detectors - but it sure would
make things easier if we did. Live and learn, you were being generous!
Old 05-06-2021, 04:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mylifeismine View Post
No egg on your face Eauchiche. You were kind enough to offer someone a second
chance and they were dishonest. We don't have built in lie detectors - but it sure would
make things easier if we did. Live and learn, you were being generous!
Thanks so much for your kind words.
I am donating the bed from my guest room to a family who lost everything in a fire. I have decided that this is the end of any more roommate experiences.
The guest room will be used now for my home based business.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I understand feeling a bit jaded after what happened. All in all though, you did get off "lucky" ... thank goodness.

You handled the situation perfectly, good for you Eauchiche. I am sure you will find other ways to be an upstanding member of your community without putting your sanctuary in jeopardy.

Thank you for coming to share your experience with us. I agree with MLIM, you don't have egg on your face. If anybody does, he does, but that is neither here nor there. Onwards!
Old 05-06-2021, 08:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SmallButMighty View Post
I understand feeling a bit jaded after what happened. All in all though, you did get off "lucky" ... thank goodness.
!
You are absolutely right. My mind went through endless scenarios of what could happen, including an eviction getting sidelined because of Covid.
My former roommate is at his heart a good man, but full of demons. He also suffers from profound blind spots about his drinking and driving.
One boundary I have, is that I won’t live with a drunk. I don’t hate them or him. He left willingly, grateful for what I tried to do for him.
We enjoyed an amicable parting of the ways.
Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eauchiche View Post
An old girlfriend from out of state invited him to stay with her, and he moved out yesterday.
In my head, Dana Carvey in his personna as 'the Church Lady' on SNL, is saying, "Isn't that conveeeeenient?"

Really fortunate he didn't fight you on this. Removing the extra bed will discourage you from offering, and make it less comfortable for someone who may view your extra room as a place to crash.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eauchiche View Post
Thanks so much for your kind words.
I am donating the bed from my guest room to a family who lost everything in a fire. I have decided that this is the end of any more roommate experiences.
The guest room will be used now for my home based business.
Love it! LOL! I am using this ploy too. My guest room no longer has a bed in it, is a walk in wardrobe for me!!

Much better, fend off any possible toxic house guests!